MGS3 Missing Control Functionality
Not sure how to best articulate the issue in the title so that people will know what I mean. Essentially the issue is that when entering first person view you can lean left by pressing L2, lean right by pressing R2, and by pressing both L2 and R2 you should be able to raise your view upward. For some reason I can't raise my view in first person. I haven't a clue why. I can tell you I'm using the official PCSX2 1.6.0 release if that's got any relevance. I'm using DS4windows and my DS4 controller wirelessly via Bluetooth.
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

Sponsored links

i wasn't even aware of that feature, but i'm going to tell you right now you won't get full functionality with a DS4 controller. MGS3 uses analog controls on the face buttons for many essential actions and only the DS2 and DS3 controllers (not sure about DS1) support that. unless there's some specific work around i'm not aware of, in which case i'm very interested to hear it.
(08-28-2020, 12:04 PM)jepsen Wrote: i wasn't even aware of that feature, but i'm going to tell you right now you won't get full functionality with a DS4 controller. MGS3 uses analog controls on the face buttons for many essential actions and only the DS2 and DS3 controllers (not sure about DS1) support that. unless there's some specific work around i'm not aware of, in which case i'm very interested to hear it.

Well it seems to me that if my R1 button works, my R2 button works and my L2 button works, then it would stand to reason that pressing all 3 at the same time should work. Unless you're telling me that PCSX2 doesn't support more than 2 buttons being pressed at the same time on a PS4 controller. I know it worked while using a logitech controller, but I gave that to my sister.

Do you happen to know if the HD remaster version for PS3 works better with the PS4 controller? I'm thinking I'll get a copy of that and run it on RPCS3 instead. I know that PSNow recommends using a PS4 controller and MGS3 HD is available on PSNow, so I'd imagine it would have full controller support.
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

i'm talking about the face buttons, like triangle square etc. every single button on the ps2 and ps3 controller except the 3 in the middle is pressure sensitive and MGS3 uses that to the fullest. the ps4 controller doesn't have that, only the triggers. both the HD collection version and Legacy collection version on ps3 use the same thing, so unless you want to play without functional CQC or a few other things then you're gonna have to get a different controller.

the game is completable without it, but a lot of things won't work. for example, holding square lightly grapples somebody, but pressing it hard kills them. you're supposed to hold it lightly while you interrogate them, it's supposed to integrate real life stress into the game. without the analog controls all you can do is grab them and instantly kill them, no interrogation or anything else. you also won't be able to aim automatic weapons without shooting them. i'm sure there's other important things i'm forgetting about.

as for your original question about the triggers not working at the same time, i actually have no idea what would be causing that. i was just saying that a ps4 controller won't be fully functional in mgs3 regardless. the only versions of MGS3 to my knowledge that dont use this control scheme are the ones on xbox where they changed the layout to compensate, since the xbox controllers don't support it either.
(08-29-2020, 03:26 AM)jepsen Wrote: i'm talking about the face buttons, like triangle square etc.  every single button on the ps2 and ps3 controller except the 3 in the middle is pressure sensitive and MGS3 uses that to the fullest. the ps4 controller doesn't have that, only the triggers. both the HD collection version and Legacy collection version on ps3 use the same thing, so unless you want to play without functional CQC or a few other things then you're gonna have to get a different controller.

the game is completable without it, but a lot of things won't work. for example, holding square lightly grapples somebody, but pressing it hard kills them. you're supposed to hold it lightly while you interrogate them, it's supposed to integrate real life stress into the game. without the analog controls all you can do is grab them and instantly kill them, no interrogation or anything else. you also won't be able to aim automatic weapons without shooting them. i'm sure there's other important things i'm forgetting about.

as for your original question about the triggers not working at the same time, i actually have no idea what would be causing that. i was just saying that a ps4 controller won't be fully functional in mgs3 regardless. the only versions of MGS3 to my knowledge that dont use this control scheme are the ones on xbox where they changed the layout to compensate, since the xbox controllers don't support it either.

I'm familiar with the face button issue. I just never came across this issue before. I actually was able to try the PS4 controller on the HD version and the function is there. I'd have to conclude that the issue has to be either with the DS4Windows software or with PCSX2.
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

(08-29-2020, 03:50 AM)sandbox242 Wrote: I'm familiar with the face button issue. I just never came across this issue before. I actually was able to try the PS4 controller on the HD version and the function is there. I'd have to conclude that the issue has to be either with the DS4Windows software or with PCSX2.

i'm using my ps4 controller with bluetooth on lilypad via ds4windows and i haven't had any issues. did you change any other settings besides the bindings?
(08-29-2020, 05:02 AM)jepsen Wrote: i'm using my ps4 controller with bluetooth on lilypad and i haven't had any issues. did you change any other settings besides the bindings?

No settings that would be relevant to the control scheme, I dont think. Do you use DS4Windows as well?
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

(08-29-2020, 05:08 AM)sandbox242 Wrote: No settings that would be relevant to the control scheme, I dont think. Do you use DS4Windows as well?

yeah i just edited my post to include that. i'm gonna boot up subsistence and try it myself real quick, because i just realized the games i've been playing haven't required you to press both triggers. but i feel like if this was a common issue it would have been fixed by now. i'm pretty sure ds4windows with a ps4 controller is one of if not the most common control setup for playstation emulators.
yup, i can lean up and in both directions perfectly fine. what version of PCSX2 are you using? maybe you should try the latest dev build and see if that fixes it.
(08-29-2020, 05:16 AM)jepsen Wrote: yup, i can lean up and in both directions perfectly fine. what version of PCSX2 are you using? maybe you should try the latest dev build and see if that fixes it.

To be clear, I can lean in both directions fine. When you press both l2 and r2 at the same time you're supposed to be able to raise your view, like if snake is standing on his tippy toes or something. That's the part that's not working for me.
Again, I'm using the official 1.6.0 release.
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU