MTVU and Sowtware Mode Extra Threads
I did a quick search and found nothing about this "curiosity" of mine.

Long story short, after finishing Episodes I and II, i decided to start Episode III, i see that the first cutscene is glitched in Hardware Mode, but not in Software Mode. By default (only MTVU) it runs at 30-35 FPS. I tried adding 2 Extra Threads in the Software Section of the Graphic Plugin and the result was floating between 50-60 FPS based on what was on screen.

I was wondering how many extra threads i can use in Software Mode without creating problems with the MTVU Hack (that uses an extra thread).

I have a Sandy Bridge i7 2630QM, so 4 physical and 4 virtual cores. I guess i can try to up the extra threads up to 3, but i was wondering if there was a limit to this while using the MTVU Hack.

P.S.: I may have created this topic in the wrong section of the forum, if so, feel free to move it.

Sponsored links

I'm guessing you are talking about Xenosaga Tongue Well from what I checked your processor has hyperthreading, so for each core you get 2 threads. Meaning in total you have 4 cores and 8 threads. So if we take into account 1 thread for EE, 1 thread for MTVU, 1 thread for MTGS you have 5 threads left for extra SW mode. I'd use 4 just to leave one for windows/GUI. Of course you should play around with it and check which setting gives the best performance for you
[Image: newsig.jpg]
The question was born from Xenosaga III, but i preferred to "enlarge" the scope of the thread for a general discussion about the potential of combining MTVU and Extra Threads when necessary.

For the performance... Well, for Xenosaga i'm just happy with a setting that can run the glitched cutscenes at 60 FPS, so i guess that 3 threads should be enough.
(06-23-2012, 09:26 PM)Bositman Wrote: I'm guessing you are talking about Xenosaga Tongue Well from what I checked your processor has hyperthreading, so for each core you get 2 threads. Meaning in total you have 4 cores and 8 threads. So if we take into account 1 thread for EE, 1 thread for MTVU, 1 thread for MTGS you have 5 threads left for extra SW mode. I'd use 4 just to leave one for windows/GUI. Of course you should play around with it and check which setting gives the best performance for you

according to some test i have made using HT threads reduce performance in SW mode Sad

because what you run on an HT thread will be processed on it's core + what that core was processing in the first place and that will reduce performance since you bug EE and VU threads ....
The i7 should be able to handle 5, 6, or even 7 extra threads without problem. Here are some old test results with MGS2's opening level (taken with my current CPU, turbo off)

Tanker outside:

1 thread = 17fps, 25% EE
2 threads = 27fps, 40% EE
5 = 38fps, 70%
6 = 40fps, 75%
... (no increase or decrease beyond here)

Tanker inside:

1 thread = 80fps, 60% EE
2 threads = 107fps, 90% EE
3 threads = 109fps, 100% EE
... (no increase or decrease beyond here)

The idea is to get it to 100% EE, but at even with all those threads you're going to be limited by your clock speed at some point Ninja
(06-23-2012, 09:26 PM)Bositman Wrote: I'm guessing you are talking about Xenosaga Tongue Well from what I checked your processor has hyperthreading, so for each core you get 2 threads. Meaning in total you have 4 cores and 8 threads. So if we take into account 1 thread for EE, 1 thread for MTVU, 1 thread for MTGS you have 5 threads left for extra SW mode. I'd use 4 just to leave one for windows/GUI. Of course you should play around with it and check which setting gives the best performance for you

Ah, but then you factor in that the primary logical cores are already fairly busy so using the hyperthreads tends to slow things down in the heavier games D:

(06-23-2012, 10:33 PM)abdo123 Wrote: according to some test i have made using HT threads reduce performance in SW mode Sad

because what you run on an HT thread will be processed on it's core + what that core was processing in the first place and that will reduce performance since you bug EE and VU threads ....

Abdo's post replicates my own experience
let me ask a question for nerds. is the affinity mask thing solved for ht already? else you end up mixing different code between cores and execution units.

if it works you should get excellent results with 4 gs threads, 2 "handshakers" for mtvu and vif and 2 or leftover for EE managing + GUI and integral sound mixing. Wink
Any numbers for HT vs no HT? I'd try it myself but I don't think there's a laptop that lets you turn it off (cpu affinity and core disabling is no good)
one question can hyper threading work with pcsx2s software rendering threads
(06-24-2012, 04:01 AM)xstyla Wrote: let me ask a question for nerds. is the affinity mask thing solved for ht already? else you end up mixing different code between cores and execution units.

if it works you should get excellent results with 4 gs threads, 2 "handshakers" for mtvu and vif and 2 or leftover for EE managing + GUI and integral sound mixing. Wink

in windows 7 from the start

dunno about vista.