MTVU hack and state saves
I tried the MTVU hack to see if it would speed things up when it got tight in combat in Castlevania Lament of Innocence but the emulator warned about state saves issues and I was wondering how severe as I use them and not the in-game.

The slow down isn't the worst but I wouldn't mind using MTVU if it helps (decent speedup, high comp).

Also, speedhacks are for slow downs right? As in the emulation doesn't run as fast as the PS2 original would and not directly connected to FPS or have I misunderstood the concept? During the slowdowns I get perhaps 50FPS/40% EE.

Specs: GTX470, Q9450, 4GB RAM, Win7 64-bit, Intel SSD 120GB. Nothing overclocked and all hardware run as it should, drivers up-to-date.

Sponsored links

For me, MTVU lessens the strain on the EE usage. Going from around 70-80% of CPU power used to only 40-50% which lessens the heat going out and allows games to play more smoothly. I've used save states with no problem (coupled with normal memory card saves just in case) for all my games.

In your case, maybe your GPU is causing slowdowns. What are your specs? Speedhacks seems to use other means of emulation to "not follow how the PS2 system works" which allows it to use more of the PC's processing power resulting in less compability for games, due to not closely emulating the PS2 system (although I am not sure about this, since I'm only saying what I see).
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
(08-20-2012, 05:57 AM)PyroBunta Wrote: For me, MTVU lessens the strain on the EE usage. Going from around 70-80% of CPU power used to only 40-50% which lessens the heat going out and allows games to play more smoothly. I've used save states with no problem (coupled with normal memory card saves just in case) for all my games.

In your case, maybe your GPU is causing slowdowns. What are your specs? Speedhacks seems to use other means of emulation to "not follow how the PS2 system works" which allows it to use more of the PC's processing power resulting in less compability for games, due to not closely emulating the PS2 system (although I am not sure about this, since I'm only saying what I see).

The specs is listed last in the post. Usually in emulators the CPU is more used, at least in my case so I don't think it's the GPU. MSI AB reports about 30% GPU usage and about 200-300MB memory. I haven't checked the CPU usage though. However, I run the game with 3x native internal resolution which may cause the slowdown. I will do some testing and see if it helps with the native resolution or MTVU hack.
What Pcsx2 version are you using? I'm playing Castlevania: LoI myself currently and it runs fine despite some cutscenes rendering at native res.

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.30GHz ~3.3GHz
RAM: 2GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti

Settings:

GSDX10 (D3D11) Pcsx2 1.0 with the latest stable plugins (get them from Svn builds)

Interlacing: None
Internal Res: x3
Texture Filtering: On
8-bit Textures: On
HW Hacks: Off
- All Core settings in default
- Automatic Gamefixes
- MTVU speedhack
- INTC speed detection (I think...)
- Conditional Vsync (the one that auto detects)
r5350, 1.0 I think.

However, I run DX9. I'm going to try those you have.
Savestates can't record the VU state exactly when MTVU is enabled.
I don't know of a game that actually breaks from this but it is a possibility, hence the warning.
I remembering seeing someone mention at least 1-2 games actually run SLOWER with it disabled. Don't know which games or if it was before MTVU was refined.

Edit: and of course I COMPLETELY misunderstood you :\ Disregard my post.
(08-20-2012, 02:00 PM)Amak Wrote: I remembering seeing someone mention at least 1-2 games actually run SLOWER with it disabled. Don't know which games or if it was before MTVU was refined.

Edit: and of course I COMPLETELY misunderstood you :\ Disregard my post.

of course it will run slower when it's disabled -_-

whatever you meant in you post ...
I've been loading my states without problems while MTVU is active all the time.
so am i

however isn't states only saves Plugins

and the rest of PS2's processors ( EE , VU and IOP ) are fast reminded Laugh