Making a Translation Patch for PS2
I was wondering what you need to do to make a translation patch for a PS2 game. preferably like ffgriever's patch where it uses the english version's text files (or whatever you call those things where the text are contained like subtitles of FMVs) to replace the other game's text.

Sponsored links

Making a translation patch for a PS2 game is generally a challenge. I'd say the most difficult part of developing a patch is figuring out how the game stores its text data, since that is something that varies from game to game.

Lots of patience with a hex editor, along with some programming know-how are essential to making it happen.
well... can anyone help me step by step with this? like how to find out how text is stored like what patrickdinh said. suggesting a good hex editor for PS2 games...
For translating a game, it's preferable to have a hex editor that can handle different text encodings. MadEdit is a free one.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what's the name of the game that you're trying to patch?
i really want Kingdom Hearts 1 FM in english... the other two KH games on the PS2 are in english, it's so sad how they skipped translating the one that started it all. Ill be needing help cuz i dont really know much...
(12-06-2011, 02:48 PM)djo_5296 Wrote: i really want Kingdom Hearts 1 FM in english... the other two KH games on the PS2 are in english, it's so sad how they skipped translating the one that started it all. Ill be needing help cuz i dont really know much...

There's a translation patch for KH2:FM but not for KH1:FM (at least, not yet) sadly. OP can go and check KH2:FM and the translation patch out and see if he can understand how the game was translated.
MyAnimeList: http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyestor
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tyestor
Current PCSX2 version: v1.7.2460-windows-64bit-SSE4

The plural of anime is anime.
If you make this patch, I will love you forever and ever, Hell. I just need menu's translated. the rest i already know Laugh
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
Well Its nice creativity and the same which was in my mind. Well I am looking for the method where I can find it step by step...