Maybe the most demanding PS2 game...
Rainbow 
Got some new games recently, including Super Galdelic Hour which chewed up and spit out my CPU like it was trash. You know how intensive ZOE2's boss battles are? It's kind of like that, except for most of the game.

[attachment=38790]

You'd think a VU limited game would at least benefit from VU stealing or MTVU but nope. I tried every combination of hacks and settings from several revisions but there's no getting above 40fps in some of the mini-games. (Also FYI my GPU is under 20% load.)

ZOE2, MGS3, SOTC, etc. they're all pretty demanding but with the right settings my 3.2ghz gets full speed over 90% of the time. For this one you'd need over 4ghz to stay barely above 60fps, just maybe. Blink

Anyway I found it amusing. If anyone else has this game and manages to find the magical combination of settings to gets constant 60fps with ~3ghz let me know!

UPDATE: Foooound it! Changing VU1 to superVU gave a 20% boost in performance. Now with just 3ghz I'm usually hovering at the 60fps mark Cool

Sponsored links

I dont have this game, but I run the emulator on an outdated duel core 2.2 Ghz, so as you can imagine I need to do a lot of tweaking to get full speeds, possible game breakers but fantastic speed ups is EE clampling none and VU clamping, try one at a time. For me one of the best speed ups which is barely noticable in some games is setting the skipdraw in graphics plugin, setting this to 2 for me in most games gives a great increase.
(07-09-2012, 05:50 PM)chillins101 Wrote: I dont have this game, but I run the emulator on an outdated duel core 2.2 Ghz, so as you can imagine I need to do a lot of tweaking to get full speeds, possible game breakers but fantastic speed ups is EE clampling none and VU clamping, try one at a time. For me one of the best speed ups which is barely noticable in some games is setting the skipdraw in graphics plugin, setting this to 2 for me in most games gives a great increase.

Tip : Frame skipping only benefit the one that get bottleneck with their GPUs ( not that dude up here )
Perhaps we should run pcsx2 in mainframe computer in order to get smoother picture.
I've always found that "the most demanding" PS2 game(s) to emulate are those with serious issues.
Like being stuck using Software rendering, and needing a current processor faster than 5.0Ghz.

I know there's been more than a few games that wouldn't reach fullspeed for me.
Even some single-digit experiences. Laugh
Now that I think back Dirge of Cerberus gave me some problems even with a 4ghz i7, so that's also up there.

So I'm curious what are these other games you speak of? I'm mainly interested in hw mode performance, sw isn't even an option for me until 4ghz quad laptops Biggrin
(07-09-2012, 05:11 PM)synce Wrote: Got some new games recently, including Super Galdelic Hour which chewed up and spit out my CPU like it was trash. You know how intensive ZOE2's boss battles are? It's kind of like that, except for most of the game.

You'd think a VU limited game would at least benefit from VU stealing or MTVU but nope. I tried every combination of hacks and settings from several revisions but there's no getting above 40fps in some of the mini-games. (Also FYI my GPU is under 20% load.)

ZOE2, MGS3, SOTC, etc. they're all pretty demanding but with the right settings my 3.2ghz gets full speed over 90% of the time. For this one you'd need over 4ghz to stay barely above 60fps, just maybe. Blink

Anyway I found it amusing. If anyone else has this game and manages to find the magical combination of settings to gets constant 60fps with ~3ghz let me know!

UPDATE: Foooound it! Changing VU1 to superVU gave a 20% boost in performance. Now with just 3ghz I'm usually hovering at the 60fps mark Cool

Synce,
may I know your personal configuration for ZoE2? Thanks Smile
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
ZOE2 ain't no thang! Usually the only time I go under 60fps is when I'm bottlenecked by my GPU, which itself is rare if I play at native... but who wants to do that? Tongue

The max out your fps in ZOE2 here are my main tips:

1. Don't use the latest gsdx, use the one from pcsx2 097 or 098 - they're not as accurate but definitely faster.

2. Enable 8 bit textures - this will speed up boss battles like nobody's business. The downside is it puts a heavier load on your GPU, so you may get bottlenecked there.

3. Disable MTVU hack, enable the recommended hacks, and don't touch EE/VU sliders.
I also don't have that game so I can't test, but to the subject of the most demanding game I would say is besides the normal ones (sotc, zoe2..etc)
Killzone
Primal < This game would never get full speed no matter what settings, the more speed hacks enabled the slower it will get....very stange
Primal is also broken with hardware render in newer revisions (it used to work), so only software mode will work now, not sure what revision hw broke in, might look into it :|

anyways if I had to pick one I'd say primal. Tongue2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Anyone tried Okage Shadow King and Shadow Heart? Though both of those seems to have GS bug for the slowdown.