Memory Cards Not Saving Fix (Windows)
Ok, if any of you have encountered the problem where for some strange reason it won't let you save to a memory card, the solution is rather simple. I was having this problem sporadically, and only with Memory Card 1, which made it even stranger.

This "fix" applies to Windows specifically, so not sure what adjustments will have to be made for Linux or Mac. It should be obvious, but it might not be to some. Foolishly I didn't think about checking it myself(and I know Windows!) so ...

When you create Memory Cards, make sure that the Directory the cards are being stored is NOT under Program Files or under Users. I had it under Users and it wasn't giving me permission half the time. Not Windows giving me flak, PCSX2 giving me flak. This was on Stable versions as well, so it wasn't a specific build giving issues. For some odd reason it was only Memory Card 1. Probably the safest place to store the memory cards is in its own folder inside the PCSX2 Folder.

IE:

C:/Games/PCSX2/Memory

Or something like that.

Tried doing a search to see if this was a known issue or one of those "common knowledge" things here on the board and didn't find it. Admin, if a thread like that already exists and my searching didn't find it, my apologies for creating a new thread.

If this is a dead horse resolved years ago ... my apologies, but its been frustrating me and I couldn't find any mention of a similar problem on the forums here. Close, but not the same. Figured if I had the problems, others did as well (or I'm just the only idiot using PCSX2).

Sponsored links

This is only one, of many problems that can be encountered by not installing PCSX2 to a directory OTHER than program files. Permission issues can plague a PCSX2 user with problems, so everyone is just told not to install to program files.

Still, nice of you to point this out, even if not necessarily helpful. It's good to have a community that is actively trying to help others Smile
One thing however. I do NOT have it installed under Program Files, I know the murder it causes. The only thing that goes under Program Files is what windows puts there without me having an option to put elsewhere. So this had Nothing to do with Program Files, the problem was the Documents Folder like I said.

By Default, from fresh install of PCSX2, it tries to store it under users\username\documents\pcsx2\memcards.

The exact structure may differ for other people, but the end folder will most likely be the same. That is what I found was causing the problem, PCSX2 did not like saving to the Documents folder for some odd reason. I don't know why, I'm not one of the coders, but simply changing it OUT of the Documents folder to elsewhere resolved the problem.

It would corrupt my save at times, or just not even recognize the card at all when it was under the default directory(ie the Documents folder). It only seemed to affect Memory Card 1, which was most likely because a lot of games save to Memory Card 1. For some time I figured "its an emulator, not perfect, bugs happen, and i can't duplicate it". But then I finally decided to check where the files were stored. Figured that it was worth a shot. Deleted them so I had a clean base to test from. New Cards created in folder outside Documents. No problems. Which means either there is something odd on permissions on my computer or there is a weird bug in the saving system. Since it wasn't a CONSTANT issue, and sporadic, I can't be sure which is more accurate.

But since it worked for me ... no harm in sharing the information. Might help someone else who has a similar problem.
That's correct, not only PCSX2 but every other game should not be installed in those directories. So NO executable should be installed under the /Documents folder. Just than this applies to running the applications from inside it, it's OK to have the save and config files in there.

Anyway, you are right that to be on the secure side one should avoid Windows specially protected folders, under Windows 8 one should avoid C: at all for games and or applications which rely on plugins or mods. Creating an empty file named "portable.ini" inside the emulators main folder might be an excellent idea, this removes register dependencies and allows having all PCSX2 related assets in a unique place.
Imagination is where we are truly real
The only files from PCSX2 in the Documents were the memory card files. It's working, so I'm happy. Games that wouldn't even let me save before will work now. It was one of those weird things as it wasn't a constant problem, just an annoying one. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a weird permissions quirk popping up. Windows is a "lovely" piece of architecture in that regard.

Well, I've given my advice on a fix for what may be an uncommon problem. As to Win 8 ... when the time comes I hope I'll remember that. But you'll have to either shove a new computer down my throat or drag me kicking and screaming to it. Not that I LIKE windows 7, but why learn a new OS when the existing one works fine?
(11-12-2013, 06:07 AM)KentDA Wrote: The only files from PCSX2 in the Documents were the memory card files. It's working, so I'm happy. Games that wouldn't even let me save before will work now. It was one of those weird things as it wasn't a constant problem, just an annoying one. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a weird permissions quirk popping up. Windows is a "lovely" piece of architecture in that regard.

Well, I've given my advice on a fix for what may be an uncommon problem. As to Win 8 ... when the time comes I hope I'll remember that. But you'll have to either shove a new computer down my throat or drag me kicking and screaming to it. Not that I LIKE windows 7, but why learn a new OS when the existing one works fine?
Indeed, I can't agree more, if you have a Windows 7 there is no real reason to "upgrade" to Windows 8, talking from personal experience.

Even today after a lot of updates, the issues with drivers and with some formerly working applications which just fell into the "incompatible" category is heartbreaking.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-12-2013, 05:08 AM)wyndnra1n Wrote: This is only one, of many problems that can be encountered by not installing PCSX2 to a directory OTHER than program files. Permission issues can plague a PCSX2 user with problems, so everyone is just told not to install to program files.

I have always installed pcsx2 under program files in 32/64 bit systems. I have always stored my memcards under documents.

Never had any problems. Maybe you have played to much or not enough with the windows rights management.