Memory leaking problem
Hi, all, I've been following PCSX2 for a long time but now I encountered some problems. I'm not sure if there's anybody else had the same problem before or not.

I noticed everytime if I play for too long(several hours for example), the system will pop out the warning window to tell me it's running on low memory and needs to close the program. I checked the memory usage and found out that the RAM usage went up gradually as I played it.

I'm currently using built 1647 with Gsdx ver1637, SSE41. My config is as follow: corei7 920, 6gb RAM, Geforce Gtx285.

I think there is a memory leaking problem with the recent build cuz I tried several builds and got the same problem, or maybe is it because of my setting?

After the search online, I didn't find too much information on it. But I do notice that some people mentioned the memory leaking issue with Gsdx plug in. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thanks.

Sponsored links

I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be my virtual cd driver (I think it was PowerISO, but I'm not sure). If I ran the game from the DVD it didn't have this problem.
I switched to Daemon Tools and haven't had the problem since.
It might be the same thing you're getting.
Check 0.9.6 or official beta 1474 and see if you have the same problem. If you don't, it's probably something in the latest SVN's (I haven't played any of the latest SVN's for hours on end lately)

Foolrunin: Any reason you don't just use the ISO loading plugin that comes with PCSX2? It generally gives better results then mounting an ISO then using the CD plugin.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(08-21-2009, 10:36 PM)FoolRunin Wrote: I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be my virtual cd driver (I think it was PowerISO, but I'm not sure). If I ran the game from the DVD it didn't have this problem.
I switched to Daemon Tools and haven't had the problem since.
It might be the same thing you're getting.

Hmm, that's very weird. I will try it out. Which CD/DVD plugin did you use?
(08-21-2009, 10:53 PM)Koji Wrote: Check 0.9.6 or official beta 1474 and see if you have the same problem. If you don't, it's probably something in the latest SVN's (I haven't played any of the latest SVN's for hours on end lately)

Foolrunin: Any reason you don't just use the ISO loading plugin that comes with PCSX2? It generally gives better results then mounting an ISO then using the CD plugin.

I don't seem to see the problem with the official beta(maybe I didn't play long enough). Also it might be problem of Gsdx because it has history of memory leaking before. Can anybody else confirm the problem?
Support generally isn't given to SVN releases... You should try posting your finding on the SVN thread http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3717.html

I recommend you trying an older version of GSDx and confirming whether it's that, or the emulator so it's easier for the developers to track down the problem.

Until then, you should probably just go back to using 1474. The latest SVN betas aren't for general consumption, and unless you're playing a game that requires the latest SVN to run (or fixes some major problem) it's probably better to stick with the stable releases.
[Image: 2748844.png]
It may have something to do with GSdx cause when I play Twisted Metal Head-on, even at 1024x1024 internal res, the memory usage goes up to like 90%. At higher resolutions, the system hangs. I have 3 GB RAM and have no trouble playing other graphically more intensive games like FF XII at 1920x1080 res. Oh and I'm using 0.9.6 r1474 beta.
My Specs: Intel E8400 @ 3.8 GHz (Stock cooler, Default voltages), Kingston 3GB 800MHz, XFX GTX 260 Core 216 55nm, Segate 160 GB & 500 GB SATA, Realtek HD Audio 7.1 Channels
I think I've narrowed it down to the GSdx problem. I'm running FFXII at 1920x1080 resolution. The memory usage goes up much faster when there's intense graphic happening in the same screen than normal scenes in the game.
I did a few checks, and everything seems to be in order.
Running around in FF12, teleporting to various cities (different textures), doing fights and stuff.
My memory usage went from 400mb initially to 450mb after all that.
It didn't seem to increase anymore than this.
which build are you using by the way? Also the plug in version?
I'd like to try it out and see if it's some other problem. When I played it, the memory went up gradually to 3 or 4g, which ended up with the system low memory warning.
Also I'm running the game on Vista home premium 64-bit.