Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
So, after after finally getting the serious itch to play my one of my favorite games of all time again, I've arrived upon playing it via PCSX2. Now, the tricky part is what appears will be the difficulty of getting Mercenaries to run well in the emulator. Now, I know that it's possible from some examples I've found(including this one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_C-v7xbnek, aside from some audio degradation and some loss of frame rate at points) but I also know that it's not easy.

If anyone happens to know the silver bullet settings for this title, I would very much appreciate not having to stumble ignorantly though settings I may or may not understand in the vain hope of putting out Shakespeare. If the institutional knowledge to get the job done already exists, I'd love to take advantage of it. Literally my only other lead is this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7tid0-uyJU
Sadly I lack the training in the equipment to know if that it a viable solution.

I realize performance is also dependent on one's rig, but I'm confident in mine's ability to hold up. If my specs pertain to the issue of which settings would work best for getting the game running as closely to the original as possible, I'm more than happy to post them.

Thank you for your time and help!

Sponsored links

Specs definitely pertain. Please post yours.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-14-2013, 11:41 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Specs definitely pertain. Please post yours.

Sure thing, thanks for the reply:

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 4095 MB
RAM: 8GB(high performance stuff)
Sound Card(dedicated): Soundblaster X-Fi
have you tried making use of the MTVU speedhack? That will probably help on your system quite a bit
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(12-15-2013, 12:01 AM)Silas Von Bayern Wrote: Sure thing, thanks for the reply:

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 4095 MB
RAM: 8GB(high performance stuff)
Sound Card(dedicated): Soundblaster X-Fi

Almost identical to my best friends God-rig. Except he had two GTX 680s lol! And they are so powerful that one of them tore up and we were running on only 1 for a couple of weeks and didn't realize it had even happened.

Anyway the compatibility report says it only works well in software mode. So do this:

Go to config ->Video ->plugin settings.

At the bottom, change extra rendering threads to 4.

At the top, changed Renderer to "Direct 3d 11 Software"

Then give it a go.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-15-2013, 12:04 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: At the bottom, change extra rendering threads to 4.

3 is actually a better figure for i7's Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(12-15-2013, 12:06 AM)refraction Wrote: 3 is actually a better figure for i7's Smile

Okay. Well, actually 3 works best for me on my 6 core too. Maybe 3 is just a good number then.
I mentioned this game in my CPU intensive games thread. It's very buggy in Hardware mode, lots of graphical glitches and massive slowdown. Setting it to Software mode lets you run the game with no issues, but you're gonna need extra SW rendering threads and a good processor to get fullspeed. TC, you have an unlocked Ivy Bridge i7, so you should overclock it (don't worry, it's easy as pie, there are guides online if you want help) if you don't get fullspeed when you try it in SW mode.
Fantastic, thanks for all the replies fellas(and the vote of confidence for my hardware, SaraniaSmile) . I'm actually off to the store to grab a replacement copy of the game right now(lost my old one it seems) . I'll give it a shot when I get home and we'll see how it goes! I'll keep you updated(I'll probably need more help anyway, hah) .

NatooN, when you mention that I'll need extra SW rendering threads, I assume you're referring to the same setting as suggested by the other posters in the thread? I'm currently running out the door so I can't check your thread quite yet, but do you believe that OCing my CPU is needed(I don't mind, I'm sure it's easy as pie like you say, just curious and a little surprised)?

I hate to sound like an idiot, but other titles upscale quite a bit, and from what I've seen this one is functionally identical to the original. Is there a special reason for that? A challenging title to run via emulator? Not that I mind since I loved the original, but the difference is curious.
Yeah, extra rendering threads is what we're all talking about. It basically gets you more performance in SW mode.

Your CPU is really powerful, which is good, but this game is pretty hard to emulate compared to others, so you may need to overclock your CPU if you find yourself not getting fullspeed when you test the game again.

Yeah, different games have different hardware requirements for various reasons. Depends on how well the game was coded and whether or not it used a lot of the PS2's resources, etc. The only downside to using SW mode is that you won't be able to take advantage of internal resolution scaling, but it wouldn't matter much because the game is ridiculously fun anyway.