Metal Gear Solid 2: Hardware acceleration issue on DX9 plugin.
Reader notice: I am not a noobie, and I've even programmed simple emulators before.

So I have a great CPU but a crappier GPU that only supports DX9. The game works perfect up to the start, but in the tanker mission, DX9 hardware rendering won't let me play the game right in the first scene where you move Snake.

The FPS keeps flying between 0.6 to 90 FPS and choppping, cracking, flashing, and I can barely move Snake around and it's in super-slow motion, freezing and getting sporadically stuck every 3-10 seconds, then he'll move 1 frame and the routine repeats.

In software rendering, with the CPU doing the heavy lifting instead of the GPU, I can move, but it's pretty dang slow. Ironically, software-rendering is faster and works greatly compared to hardware.

Someone said that because of the rain and other textures, the GPU in hardware acceleration can't render the tanker scenes outside good enough due to PCSX2's hardware acceleration immaturity with some games. True?

I can get 20-40 FPS in software-mode with an i5-4690k stock; the GPU with it is a GMA 950. Is the GPU going to be the issue maker here? Because with proper HW acceleration I'd imagine a perfect 60 FPS most of the time since this CPU with a good GPU with DX10 can render Gran Turismo 4 perfectly (with 4x scaling), and that game is one of the most difficult for PCSX2.

Is this a DX9 only problem or any DX/OpenGL backend?

I am only using this CPU with this GPU for now because I don't have access to my most powerful motherboard and GPU now.

What's the word with the DX9 plugin? Would DX10/DX11 fix this, or is the issue still there and the only way to get perfect speeds would be with an even more powerful CPU?

EXTRA: Oh, and PCSX2 versions above 1.0.0 won't work with DX9 plugins, so I am forced to use PCSX2 0.9.8.

Some notes:

I tried FFX and it works perfect in software-mode with this GPU, among other games, such as FFXII, Xenosaga II, Hot Shots Golf, etc.
My point is that I am aware of how horrible this GPU is, but even HW acceleration with FFX gets about 40 FPS, so it's game dependent?

Sponsored links

PCSX2 above 1.0.0 doesn't work with DX9? Since when? It works fine for me.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-27-2014, 11:06 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: PCSX2 above 1.0.0 doesn't work with DX9? Since when? It works fine for me.

How do you get it to work? Whenever I try any version above 1.0.0 with the DX9 plugin (with the GMA 950 GPU), it says runtime is not supported (DirectX 9). It says it needs updating, but I am guaranteed it's as updated as possible, and everything else is as well (GPU driver, chipset, etc.).

Maybe DX 9 can work with the plugin on a GPU that supports higher versions (downgrading), but on newer versions (PCSX2), they complain about the runtime being out of date with this GPU (with DX9), and I've made certain that everything is up to date.

Are you using the DX9 backend with a GPU supporting DX10/OpenGL2/etc.? Or can you legitimately get DX 9's plugin to work on a version above the one specified of PCSX2 with a DX 9 only GPU or the GMA 950?
(12-27-2014, 11:20 PM)CrackedNuckles Wrote: How do you get it to work? Whenever I try any version above 1.0.0 with the DX9 plugin (with the GMA 950 GPU), it says runtime is not supported (DirectX 9). It says it needs updating, but I am guaranteed it's as updated as possible, and everything else is as well (GPU driver, chipset, etc.).

Maybe DX 9 can work with the plugin on a GPU that supports higher versions (downgrading), but on newer versions (PCSX2), they complain about the runtime being out of date with this GPU (with DX9), and I've made certain that everything is up to date.

Are you using the DX9 backend with a GPU supporting DX10/OpenGL2/etc.? Or can you legitimately get DX 9's plugin to work on a version above the one specified of PCSX2 with a DX 9 only GPU or the GMA 950?
Install those updates from MS kinked at the site you got the version.

It's not optional, the error you are getting is clearly telling you have outdayed directX and or VisualC runtime (you need the x86 version, not the 64 bits one, although is advisable updating it as well).
Imagination is where we are truly real
(12-27-2014, 11:50 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Install those updates from MS kinked at the site you got the version.

It's not optional, the error you are getting is clearly telling you have outdayed directX and or VisualC runtime (you need the x86 version, not the 64 bits one, although is advisable updating it as well).

As I said, I did update it and followed the link; it says the latest version is updated, verified from Microsoft and its update/Java utility. I restarted PCSX2, re-configured, and it still eventually leads up to the same error that says DirectX needs updates. I have x86 and everything else is up to date.

Besides, why would it work well before 1.0.0 if updates are needed? That doesn't make sense. It's either a problem with the newer versions of PCSX2 and DX, some problem with the OS/PCSX2 newer versions, and/or the drivers/plugin setup on PCSX2 newer versions as well.

This does not happen with versions before 1.0.0., as all plugins load and work. After that version, it shows the message. Everything is updated as far as can be on this OS: Windows XP SP 3. Anyways, I think were are straying this off-topic, as this question is more so about DX9 and Metal Gear Solid 2 + HW.
Well anyway, Intel GMA is not supported by PCSX2 and is known to have a lot of issues.

Also I don't know of any chipset that has Intel GMA that can support 4690k.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Well, if have i5-4690K why don't you use it's iGPU HD 4600?
yeah, how could there be a Intel gma with an i5-4690K. GMA are normally there at some old pentium's and core2duo.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction