Metal Gear Solid 2 Last Scenes Cutscene Freeze
Hi everyone, I've been trying to fix an annoying problem with the end of MGS2. I get all the way to the very end of the game and then the final unskippable cutscenes seem to be freezing midway through playing. I'll paste the contents of a textfile in which I've been keeping a log of what I've tried. Please somebody help me out!!! It's the first playthrough of the game on PC so I can unlock Extreme to do big boss rank playthroughs.

unskippable cutscenes are freezing, EE at ~20% and GS@~4% at time of crash.

Tried waiting for game to progress anyway and nothing happens even after 30 mins. 

Tried default settings, combinations of graphics, sound and recompiler settings, all give same result, see below.

Freezes after snake says real in the screenshot shown

Graphics:
gsdx d3d11 hw > Fail
gsdx d3d11 sw > Fail
null > fail (sound stops)
basic render driver open gl > fail
gsdx d3d8 hardware > fail
dsdx d3d9 software > fail

Sound SPU2-X:
Interpolation 0 and 4, Output modules 0,1 and 2 - same issue
Tried using no sound either (output 0) and same fail, screen doesn't progress

Recompiler:
superVU recompiler on vu0 and vu1 > fail
interpreter > fail
microVU recompiler > fail

Other Observations:
EE~20% GS~5% At time of crash
Speed = 100% and Framerate is Steady, changing between roughly 50.04 to 49.97

Tried using Save states and no save states, luckily I have a memcard save just at the last boss fight so I don't have to redo the whole game.

Game Versions
PAL, USA, Europe and USA Substance tested, same crash in the same place Excl - This excludes bad rips and discs imo. 
unskippable cutscene
tried own dvd (UK PAL), ripped iso, usa iso and also the Europe and usa version of substance
tried bios 1.6 and 2 for europe and bios 1.6 USA

cpu: 5960x
gpu: 980ti x4 (with and without sli) tested, driver version 373.06, shadowplay on and off tested
memory 16gb ddr4
os windows 10 anniversary

pcsx2 version 1.4.0, tried v 1.2 (same fail) and 1 (crashed at end of last boss fight before cutscene started)

I managed to progress a bit further by enabling the game hack to skip MPEG video, but the freeze then happens in the next scene (as shown in the screenshot)

Please anyone have any ideas or fixes, I really want to sort this out.

Thanks for the help  Biggrin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

I'm actually surprised you own 3 PS2 consoles + 4 versions of the same game...
anyways.
do you get the same problem when you reach this particular point on your real PS2 console ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I can have a look at this to see if it's patchable. Post the last memory card save before the freeze point. If the memory card save is well before the freeze point then also post a savestate few seconds before the freeze point.
I remember completing the game several times on my PS2 just fine years ago jesalvein, I only used the other regions and BIOS for diagnostic purposes.

The link to the rar (too big to attach here) on my dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6570...nowles.rar

The memory card save is at the start of the final boss (at the last possible opportunity in the game)
There are however 3 or 4 skippable scenes after the fight before the problem unskippable one(s).

The save states are explained below:
slot 00 is just before the killing blow of the last boss fight.
slot 01 is just before the problem as snake is speaking the sentence shown in the previous screenshot.
slot 02 is just after the problem, incase thats useful for you

Thanks for your help, prafull.
Sorry I should have mentioned, I got US version of the game, SLUS_201.44 so I can help only help if the savetstae is from the same. Also please use current git version to make the savestate.
Thanks for letting me know, it'll take a while to get to that point on the US version as I don't have the saves, but I'll update to the latest git version and reupload the files when I'm done, probably in the next 12 hours or so.

Thanks again.
(10-08-2016, 10:42 PM)matknowles Wrote: Thanks for letting me know, it'll take a while to get to that point on the US version as I don't have the saves, but I'll update to the latest git version and reupload the files when I'm done, probably in the next 12 hours or so.

Thanks again.

That sounds like a lot of work. I will make your work easier. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/913941-metal...erty/saves

"At federal hall before the Final Boss. All dogtages collected"

This one sounds like pretty close to your problem area. Use mymc tool to import the save to your pcsx2 memory card.

I would have done it myself but it has been a long time since I played the game so it will be pretty tough for me to win federal hall fight. Tongue
(10-08-2016, 10:48 PM)prafull Wrote: That sounds like a lot of work. I will make your work easier. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/913941-metal...erty/saves

"At federal hall before the Final Boss. All dogtages collected"

This one sounds like pretty close to your problem area. Use mymc tool to import the save to your pcsx2 memory card.

I would have done it myself but it has been a long time since I played the game so it will be pretty tough for me to win federal hall fight. Tongue
So you're supporting his piracy? He said he owns the UK version, that save is for the US version...
(10-08-2016, 11:01 PM)FlatOut Wrote: So you're supporting his piracy? He said he owns the UK version, that save is for the US version...

He will do it after purchasing the US version I assume.

Edit: Looks like that federal hall save is actually the last fight and I managed to beat solidus and after that the game is over. The game didn't hang at "most of what they call real is fiction" screen. So, most probably latest git already fixed this problem.
So it's underhanded piracy support again. Glare