Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty framerate issues
Gonna start off with saying that theres no possible way that my computer cannot run this. Brand new computer w/ the capability to run FFXIV at full graphics w/ 0 issues, I'll post specs if asked for, no reason to spam unless someone wants me to post them.

I've been playing Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty on 0.9.7 (had to switch to 0.9.6 for a bit to take the pictures of metal gear on the tanker because of a known bug) but the only issue I've been having is dropping to 20-30 fps during certain camera angles in cut scenes, also sometimes everything on the screen is just a bunch of random colored red/green/black/pink pixels that stay there until the camera angle changes again.

It must be some kind of config issue, I've tried changing around a lot of different things but to no avail

I disabled all speedhacks because they seem to not do anything, some make it worse

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

Way to start a thread about emulation speed Tongue2
Your settings are fine so the game is prolly just too much, even for your awesome computer.
Yes, it happens, PS2 emulation is that demanding.
You can try using a software renderer in GSdx for the random colors (you can do this while playing by pressing the F9 key which switches to software and then back if you press it again), but it will be slower then.

Post your PC specs.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Case(CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case - Black)

Processor(Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache))

Motherboard([SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 w/ 2x Gb LAN, 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16)

Memory(6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-2000 - Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - 1.5GB - Single Card)

Power Supply(1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster RSA00-AMBAJ3-US)

Processor Cooling(Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - Enermax Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow))

Primary Hard Drive(1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)

Sound Card(3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)

Speaker System(iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System)

Network Card(Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card)

Monitor(24" LED 1920x1080 -- MAG GML2427 (23.6" Viewable))

Keyboard(iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black)

Mouse(iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse)

Operating System(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit)

The reason I can confidently say that it isn't my computer is because I've been running monitoring programs, and the emulator isn't using all of my GPU, not even 50% of it
A GSdx texture cache problem (which I think this is) will drive up D3D CPU load.
You should check your CPU load and the GS% meter in the title bar.
If you get a high GS percentage (40% or more) it's GSdx CPU load.

It could also be just a very demanding scene.
Even my 4.12Ghz CPU doesn't get 60FPS all the time.
(01-03-2011, 07:47 PM)rama Wrote: A GSdx texture cache problem (which I think this is) will drive up D3D CPU load.
You should check your CPU load and the GS% meter in the title bar.
If you get a high GS percentage (40% or more) it's GSdx CPU load.

GS is around 20%-30%, during a 20 fps cutscene, Only other things I see are FPS and EE, which the EE is sticking around 20%-40%
It just must be this game, because FFX has better graphics than Metal Gear Solid 2 I'd say, but I can run that completely fine. Sortta how I can play Zelda Twilight Princess for the Wii w/ no problems but can't play Gitaroo Man for the ps1 (which has the graphics of FFVII) without fair fps
Yea, actual graphic quality doesn't have much to do with execution speed.
These are the rules of emulation Wink