Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater Best Settings
(09-09-2011, 02:48 AM)Koji Wrote: I believe it's running at 1080p, it may be running at 720p... I honestly don't know for sure.

Vulfi: Metal Gear Solid 3 is being rereleased on the PS3 and X-box 360 by the end of the year in HD with upgrading textures and the works.

(edit) Just a heads up, I just now redumped my copy of MGS3 and with the new MTVU hack, it's a lot more enjoyable... I can actually play the game without EE cycle or VU stealing turned on at all, though there are FPS dips... Team that with SPU async though and the game appears to play very smoothly including the cutscenes.

I'm now playing around in the forest scenes without issue on a Phenom II, 4 core at 3.1ghz and an ati 5770... Nothing that's over the top. There are definitely scenes where the FPS drops, but it's actually pretty rare... I think I'll give myself a preview of how the PS3 version is going to look now Wink
Thanks..
But i wouldn't know how it looks like, since i can't play the game either way...
But can you explain what does that "famous" F9 button do..., are those some additional effects or what..., i know 1 thing it slows my game a lot.
And can you post the address of that MTVU hack, what did you do i don't understand (I just now redumped my copy of MGS3 and with the new MTVU hack,)? you dumped the original dvd or?

Sponsored links

Yes... I dumped my original DVD, hence the term dump. I don't keep games I can't play on my PC, just a waste of space.

F9 changes the video renderer from hardware (fast, pretty, but possibly glitchy) to software (slow, low-res, and accurate) and vise-versa... The effects you get from using software in MGS3 aren't worth the massive slowdowns.

The MTVU hack is part of the latest SVN builds of PCSX2. The link to them is in the development section of the forum in a sticky post.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Hi everyone

I found this thread when looking for best PSX2 settings to play MGS3. Looks like no one has the best solution. I tried different gsdx and emulation settings and found a combination which makes the game playable on my system. Hope somebody will find it useful.

System:
Core 2 Quad Q9650
Asus P5Q
8GB DDR2
GeForce GTX480
Dell U2711

1. GSdx settings

I don't see any difference between DX9 and DX11 so I set DX11. The game looks bad in native resolution (so does without texture filtering) and hi-res doesn't affect performance much. Resolution: 1920x1440, texture filtering enabled.
It looks MUCH better in software mode (even in native resolution) but runs very slow and is not playable.

2. SPU settings

Left them default. I tried different interpolation, reverb and sync settings but they don't give any noticeable speedup.

3. Emulation settings

All default except for 1 enabled speedhack: VU cycle stealing set to 2. This is the only SH that works for MGS3. I tried all other speedhacks and game corrections but they don't make the game run faster.

These settings make the game run at full speed, 50 fps most of the time. There are slight slow-downs when it shows scenes with a lot of post-processing effects.
I can post some screenshots later if you need.

But all these efforts are going to waste because the game looks not so good in hardware mode while software mode is not playable. So I think I'll wait for the MGS HD collection to play it on PS3.
Game doesn't look good in hardware mode? Game looks beautiful in hardware mode for me...
Maybe you just haven't played it on PS2. I'll post some screenshots.
Here it is. The first picture is software mode, the second is hardware. Most of lighting, reflections and postprocessing is gone in hardware mode.

Raysman is right, there are special hacks in GSdx that remove the post processing effects in hardware mode, since if you don't remove them they get renderer like crap making the game unplayable. You can test that by getting a recent SVN build of GSdx and adding in the GSdx.ini CrcHacksExclusions=all
Then you'll see how it would look in hardware if the effects weren't hacked out Tongue
Edit: Wow be aware as an added bonus GSdx also memleaks so if you don't have loads of RAM it could freeze your PC (it consumed all 512mb of my VRAM and 2,5 GB of my system RAM here Tongue )
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I didn't say accurate in hardware mode (we already know hardware mode is less accurate than software mode) only that it still looks very beautiful in hardware mode.
My Controller settings work perfectly on the final fantasy series and now on Metal gear solid 3, I have to hold L2 R2 L1 Triangle and Square to aim, And release square to shoot... I cant do anything properly in the game... should I switch my Rom? or better yet if u have a good controls send me your plug in settings codes for all the buttons... PLEEASE Biggrin
Make a new thread regarding to your problem.