Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Subsistence lag
Hello, I get a bit of lag (which messes up the sound a little bit in the cutscenes) in both cutscenes and gameplay.
In cutscenes I get 30-40 FPS and sometimes 25-30 FPS.
In codec I get around 47-50 FPS.
In normal gameplay I get around 35-40 FPS depending on where I'm standing.
In first person camera mode I get a 15-20 FPS boost.
My specs are:
Processor: AMD A8-3800 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~ 2.4 GHz
RAM: 4096MB = 4.1 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6500D

My GS plugin is on Direct3D11 (hardware).
Any help on how to speed this up? I think my comp is good enough. It ran a game like Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 just fine.
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Sponsored links

Mgs3 is much much more demanding that naruto. You need about 3.4ghz and a quad core (for use with the mtvu speedhack) to achieve constant full speed.

You could try playing with speedhacks to see if it helps but wouldnt expect miracles.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-10-2013, 03:35 PM)refraction Wrote: Mgs3 is much much more demanding that naruto. You need about 3.4ghz and a quad core (for use with the mtvu speedhack) to achieve constant full speed.

You could try playing with speedhacks to see if it helps but wouldnt expect miracles.
Actually speedhacks are already enabled..
do I need to post my settings? I have Native resolution enabled (which I dislike but some people say it's the best resolution..)
oh and how do I know how many cores I have?
edit: no replies? Sad
edit2: Also, I tried the mtvu speedhack, it seemed to give a small boost I think.. Not sure, it seemed a little bit faster..
What I am going to tell you is giving up playing that game on your laptop.

Accept the truth that MSG3 is a known demanding title and your CPU is of the middle range on mobile side. Compared to desktop CPUS, yours is low end.
A8-3800 is apparently quad core, which is why the MTVU speedhack will help, but as Livy said, it is pretty weak still and your laptop just cannot handle it at full speed, sorry.

WTF? I'm not using a laptop? I'm using a computer.. WTF???

(03-10-2013, 08:09 PM)Livy Wrote: What I am going to tell you is giving up playing that game on your laptop.

Accept the truth that MSG3 is a known demanding title and your CPU is of the middle range on mobile side. Compared to desktop CPUS, yours is low end.

(03-10-2013, 08:29 PM)refraction Wrote: A8-3800 is apparently quad core, which is why the MTVU speedhack will help, but as Livy said, it is pretty weak still and your laptop just cannot handle it at full speed, sorry.
Wait what the hell? I'm not using a laptop? I'm using a computer..
Like, you know, a screen, and a seperate keyboard, and mouse, and a monitor.. I'm not using a laptop? Where did I ever state I used a laptop?
I even said ''my comp''..
Anyway, I don't want full speed, but just faster than this. Well, MTVU helped just a bit so I guess that's okay.. and Livy isn't it a bit harsh to tell me to give up on playing the game? It's far from unplayable.
apologies for the assumption there, i should have looked instead of taking livys word for it ;p

But yes, with that CPU speed, you aren't going to get much better, but i don't think you can overclock those so you might be stuck with that speed.

I don't really know what else to suggest besides upgrading your system for a faster one. That CPU just isn't going to get it quick enough and the GPU is part of the APU so that will hold you back a bit, you will probably benifit from having a real GPU in there (apposed to an on chip one).

When you are playing MGS3 what are the EE/GS/VU values along the top of the GS window?

I think you can actually OC those CPUs but since it's an APU you really shouldn't since it's already generating a massive amount of heat. All Livy really said that more than likely, it's going to be impossible for you to get a full 60FPS. I know personally if I were only getting 35FPS, I would consider it unplayable. To get any better speeds, you really need to upgrade to an actual GPU and a better CPU.
Sorry, the clock speed of 2.4 Ghz made me think it was a mobile CPU. I never thought that desktop AMD CPUs are clocked that low.

Nonetheless, 2.4 Ghz is not enough for MSG3, desktop or mobile. You may find 30 - 40 FPS enough, but for me, it is either full speed or unplayable.
(03-10-2013, 09:41 PM)refraction Wrote: apologies for the assumption there, i should have looked instead of taking livys word for it ;p

But yes, with that CPU speed, you aren't going to get much better, but i don't think you can overclock those so you might be stuck with that speed.

I don't really know what else to suggest besides upgrading your system for a faster one. That CPU just isn't going to get it quick enough and the GPU is part of the APU so that will hold you back a bit, you will probably benifit from having a real GPU in there (apposed to an on chip one).

When you are playing MGS3 what are the EE/GS/VU values along the top of the GS window?
EE 80-95%
GS 70-80%
VU 50-70%