Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence: High End Pc - Running Slow?
Hi there people. Right now i'm playing MGS 3 (NTSC) but i'm having annoying speed problems and severe fps drops. My PC is powerful enough (see below) to run it fast but i couldn't figure out what causes these problems. I have already tried lots of tricks: speedhacks, resolution changes, plugin tweaks etc. but no avail. My optimal settings for pcsx2 are given in the attachments as screenshots. It seems pcsx2 is having problems with CrossfireX setups.

My PC configuration:
Amd Phenom X6 1090t Black Edition Processor
Powercolor Radeon HD 6870X2 GPUs
G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 - 1333 Mhz 8 GB Ram
Asus Croshair Formula IV Motherboard
WD 1 TB Caviar Black HDD
XILENCE Gaming Edition SPS-XP800 800W 80+ Bronze PSU

Note: If you are going to advise me overclock my CPU don't even BOTHER. This CPU was the fastest of the AMD for quite a long time before the 1100t model , so it is a really capable one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

I i'm not mistaken, your CPU is clocked @3.2 Ghz.
If you want to play mgs 3 @ full speed you will need more a 4.0 to 4.2 ghz.

Try using some speedhacks, set gsdx internal res to native and clamp mode to none, it may help a bit.
but don't expect miracles.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Try the Vu cycle stealing speedhack set to moderate or so and reducing the EE cyclerate one.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
The 6 cores AMD cpu is a crippled cpu, in other words, it's a dub. In some pc games, it produced lower fps than its quadcore and dualcore counterparts, that's pretty sad. No wonder it cost under $300 Rolleyes If you don't want to overclock, then use the speedhacks.
(03-09-2011, 02:00 AM)tuanming Wrote: The 6 cores AMD cpu is a crippled cpu, in other words, it's a dub. In some pc games, it produced lower fps than its quadcore and dualcore counterparts, that's pretty sad. No wonder it cost under $300 Rolleyes If you don't want to overclock, then use the speedhacks.

That comes from having less overall L3 cache available per core than the quad core or dual core counterparts if I'm not mistaken.

For the original poster, though, the problem probably isn't with your GPU setup. I've run PCSX2 on my AMD based setups and nothing gives a bigger boost than pure clockspeed. Phenom based chips simply aren't efficient enough to run at the speed you have yours at and still produce high frame rates in the more demanding games.

Having more than two cores or having two GPUs makes little advantage since the emulator isn't that heavily multithreaded. Having more cores (oddly enough) can actually be detrimental in cases where the cores will fight over the L3 cache and strangle each other out. While I agree your PC should be fast enough for most PC games, this program isn't set up like a standard PC game. You 'might' see an advantage trying software mode, but that's doubtful.

Short of overclocking and failing speedhacks, your only other option is to wait until the developers have a chance to smooth out the program and optimize a little more. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but that's about all you can do if you aren't willing to push the hardware a bit.
He'd probably have to overclock his AMD 6 cores cpu to 4.4GHz to get 60 fps in areas where slow fps are presence. I tried the game (Snake Eater version) and I sure didn't get 60 fps all the way. As a matter of fact, the slowest fps i saw dip down to 22 fps, but this only happened in some scenes. For the most part, the game is very playable on my end. I got over 60 fps when Snake landed on the forest or jungle.