Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence lighting glitch? (Black shadows)
Hey, sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find helpful regarding my situation.

Playing Subsistence with the new revision (3878), with the correct speed hacks, I find that the game finally runs at 60FPS at all times. That's great as it seems fully playable, aside from one major graphical bug. Pretty much everywhere, the lighting seems to be inverted, or things that should be very light, are covered in black shadows. I've tried every configuration I can think of, but nothing seems to solve the glitch.

I've included screenshot comparisons of my glitch, and a picture of how the light is supposed to look through software rendering mode.

If anyone knows a solution to this problem, such as a different plugin/emulator revision, or a certain configuration, any help would be extremely appreciated.

My specs are:
XFX Radeon 5770
Intel Core2Duo E8400
2GB DDR2 800MHz

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

First of all, let me start by saying; SORRY! Sorry for bumping this old thread thread, but I figured it was better than creating a new one that covers the same topic.

Anyway, I'm having the exact same problem. The game runs smoothly at 50-60 FPS and it's looking very sharp. Yet I get these odd shadow errors/glitches, which is kind of ruining the experience.

I mean, look at this, it's just horrible.

It looks fine in Software mode, but it's slow, and it's impossible to get it looking as sharp as on Hardware mode. (And I mean really sharp for a PS2 game at least. http://puu.sh/YdPl )
If anyone got any idea on how to fix this, I would be forever grateful.

Edit:// I just want to note that I'm running PCSX2 1.0.0.

Cheers,
Kevin 'Kosai106' Østerkilde.
www.oesterkilde.dk

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's not fixable. The post processing effects were forcibly removed in the hardware renderer since if you don't remove them you get horribly FPS (worse than software) AND glitches all over the screen making the game unplayable. Your only hope is that the issue gets fixed sometime in the future in hardware mode or use SW mode for accuracy.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Yeah I remember reading somewhere about what Bositman mentioned here. I am not sure if this is only in the beginning of the game but so far this is the only place I a have seen it. I am currently in the area where Sokolov is being held.
Current System: Laptop (Acer Aspire V3-771G-9875)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz (Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.3GHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
RAM: 6GB
(08-24-2012, 11:19 AM)Bositman Wrote: It's not fixable. The post processing effects were forcibly removed in the hardware renderer since if you don't remove them you get horribly FPS (worse than software) AND glitches all over the screen making the game unplayable. Your only hope is that the issue gets fixed sometime in the future in hardware mode or use SW mode for accuracy.

Oh I see, okay. Well thanks for the reply tho!

(08-24-2012, 03:05 PM)SnakeBoss Wrote: Yeah I remember reading somewhere about what Bositman mentioned here. I am not sure if this is only in the beginning of the game but so far this is the only place I a have seen it. I am currently in the area where Sokolov is being held.

Yeah, I didn't see it apart from the start as well, then again at a later part. (I don't want to spoil it for you, as I don't know if you have played the game before.)
Played MGS3 a billion times since it first came out (in 04 I think). I think I am aware of everything with the MGS series. It is my favorite tbh.
(08-25-2012, 05:23 AM)SnakeBoss Wrote: Played MGS3 a billion times since it first came out (in 04 I think). I think I am aware of everything with the MGS series. It is my favorite tbh.

Oh I see, heh. Good to talk to other fans of the series. Smile
Anyway then, as I was saying, I just got to the beginning of the Snake Eater Mission, where The Boss shoots your jet.
In that area, the same shadow issue seems to be present, but hopefully it'll be over soon.

So far the game plays very well.
Hopefully it will continue to do that, especially because I want to take a lot of high-resolution screenshots of Groznyj Grad, as I want to try and re-create it for use in either CryEngine 3 or UDK.
Oh I see. Good luck then!