Metal Gear Solid 3 fps drops/slow motion on a decent rig
Hello pcsx2 community,I currently need your assistance with an issue that is currently bugging me for awhile.As the title says my fps drops when numerous amount of enemies appear or when it pans to numerous objects and such which somehow results to a slow motion effect.The thing is I am more than sure that my rig is capable of running mgs3 without any drops or issues.Here are my specs along with my settings :

Main Specs :

Intel i7 4770 processor
Nvidia gtx 1070 g1 gaming
16 gb (8x2) ddr3 1600 mhz ram

Pcsx2 settings :

Gdsx settings :

Adapter -Nvidia gtx 1070
Renderer-Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing-Auto
Allow 8 bit resolutions-Checked
Texture Filtering-Blinear (Forced)
CRC Hack Level-Full (Safest)
Enable HW Hacks - Not checked

Gs Windows :

Aspect Ratio- Fit to window/screen
Custom Window size - 1424 x 852

Speedhacks :

Enable Speedhacks - Checked
EE Cycle Rate - 2
VU Cycle Stealing-0
Enable INTC Spin Detection - Checked
Enable Wait Loop Detection - Checked
Enable Fast CDVD - Not checked
mVU Flag Hack - Checked
MTVU - Checked

System :

Automatic Game fixes - Checked
Enable Widescreen patches - Checked
Enable Cheats - Checked

I have also installed a pnach file which enables me to play the game at 60 fps.I would like to apologize if this is a FAQ since the community might be annoyed by it.

I would like to fix this fps issue which leads to slow motion and enjoy the game as it is.Thank you.

Sponsored links

Quote:I have also installed a pnach file which enables me to play the game at 60 fps
your rig might be a bit weak for this.
try without
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-06-2017, 09:19 AM)jesalvein Wrote: your rig might be a bit weak for this.
try without

Um,thanks for the advice but I'd like to know why do we require a high end pc to run a ps2 game even at 60 fps?I mean I can run the witcher 3 at ultra with over 60 fps anywhere in the game, so why do all the ps2 game require a high end rig?I would seriously like to know about this aswell.

Edit - I'd also like to know why the game runs in slow motion whenever the fps drops and if there's a fix for that.

Thanks.
(05-06-2017, 09:40 AM)zsmisback Wrote: Um,thanks for the advice but I'd like to know why do we require a high end pc to run a ps2 game even at 60 fps?I mean I can run the witcher 3 at ultra with over 60 fps anywhere in the game, so why do all the ps2 game require a high end rig?I would seriously like to know about this aswell.
that's a typical beginner's confusion.

You run the Witcher 3, but it's a native PC game.
You don't run PS2 games, you emulate them.

Hence the difference. A pc's architecture is completely deifferent from a PS2 architecture. Think about The emulator as a kind of real-time translator.
Quote:Edit - I'd also like to know why the game runs in slow motion whenever the fps drops and if there's a fix for that.
Thanks.
Of course not.
it's because that's how a PS2 works. Fps is synced to gameplay speed. it's not working like a PC that can auto-adjust fps to maintain gameplay speed
(05-06-2017, 09:15 AM)zsmisback Wrote: EE Cycle Rate - 2

Is this on the + or the - side
If it's on the +2 side,the requirements will be much higher when combined to 60fps patch
If it's on the -2 side,you will get false fps readings and random fps drops(probably more often while using 60fps patch)along with other problems
(05-06-2017, 09:49 AM)jesalvein Wrote: that's a typical beginner's confusion.

You run the Witcher 3, but it's a native PC game.
You don't run PS2 games, you emulate them.

Hence the difference. A pc's architecture is completely deifferent from a PS2 architecture. Think about The emulator as a kind of real-time translator.
Of course not.
it's because that's how a PS2 works. Fps is synced to gameplay speed. it's not working like a PC that can auto-adjust fps to maintain gameplay speed

Thanks for the info,before I put an end to my confusion,there is one last question that I would like an answer to,will there be future updates to the emulator which will improve the performance which will end up with everyone playing without these fps drops and slow motion issues?Like I've heard of the 1.5 dev build that is currently being worked on but I'd like to know if the performance will improve in the future.If yes then I'll just patiently wait so I can enjoy it as it is.

(05-06-2017, 09:55 AM)vsub Wrote: Is this on the + or the - side
If it's on the +2 side,the requirements will be much higher when combined to 60fps patch
If it's on the -2 side,you will get false fps readings and random fps drops(probably more often while using 60fps patch)along with other problems

It's on the + side,thanks for the info.
(05-06-2017, 10:07 AM)zsmisback Wrote: Thanks for the info,before I put an end to my confusion,there is one last question that I would like an answer to,will there be future updates to the emulator which will improve the performance which will end up with everyone playing without these fps drops and slow motion issues?Like I've heard of the 1.5 dev build that is currently being worked on but I'd like to know if the performance will improve in the future.If yes then I'll just patiently wait so I can enjoy it as it is.
probably not.
The dev is focused on accuracy, not speed.
It aims at emulating as precisely as possible the original hardware.

If you can compare it to another emulator, let's say it has the same goal as Xebra or Higan.
(05-06-2017, 10:12 AM)jesalvein Wrote: probably not.
The dev is focused on accuracy, not speed.
It aims at emulating as precisely as possible the original hardware.

If you can compare it to another emulator, let's say it has the same goal as Xebra or Higan.

Ah well fair enough.Thanks again.
To be fair, current code is optimized like crazy already.

The main issue is that GS is a fixed hardware unit. So game dev tried to emulate a modern GPU with tons of draw calls to do nice (depth/brightness) effects. An effect that could be done in a single draw call on a modern game requires 100-200 DC on the GS. And GS emulation adds another factor 2 so you need 200-400 DC for a single effect !!! All those draw calls requires tons of vertices that need to be emulated/processed by the VU so it is just slow everywhere Smile

Here some example of bad effect:
http://pcsx2.net/developer-blog/277-chan...ffect.html
EE cycle rate hack 2 is most probably the issue here. Is the EE% counter at >95% during slowdowns?

EE cycle rate hack 2 means you overclock the emulated ps2. That might be needed to run the 60fps patch as the native ps2 might not be able to keep 60fps for such a demanding game.

Try setting EE cycle rate hack to 1 if the EE% counter is above 95% during slowdowns.