Metal Gear Solid 3 runs too slow
Greetings, I have a laptop with Windows 10, an i7, 16GB ram and a GTX 1050 Ti. When I try to run MGS3 Subsistence, the actual game works just fine, but my computer doesn't seem to be able to handle the more demanding cutscenes which the game has a lot of, resulting in inconsistent FPS along with distorted audio. I have tried default settings and also settings recommended by other users, but things only went from "really bad" to "still kinda bad" and I have never used this emulator before so I am a bit lost.

What I believe to be the problem is that when configuring my video login settings, if I set the Adapter option to my GTX 1050 Ti (or to default hardware device), the game's screen permanently freezes, but audio is heard (without the choppyness this time) meaning I cannot play unless I select the "Intel HD Graphics 630" option. Can someone kind please help me figure out how to get the game to work off of my 1050? I am a bit deadlocked with this problem sadly. Thank you in advance!

(Also, I don't know if my rig is even good enough to handle the game, but I'd imagine it is)

Sponsored links

Metal Gear 3 can be hard on systems and emulation is very different compared to running a game natively on PC. Since it's a laptop, I would recommend using the performance power setting to start off with. The default balanced setting tends to throttle the cpu very quickly.

When you switch to your 1050, do you do it while a game is running or before? You can use your Nvidia panel to set a default on PCSX2 so that it uses the 1050 instead of the integrated graphics, I did that with my laptop since it kept launching using the integrated gpu instead of the dedicated one.
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
what cpu do you have ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
My cpu is an i7-7700, 2.80 GHz, but Zangetsu's recommendation did it, the game is running quite well now, thank you very much!
(09-16-2020, 03:24 PM)inept_dude Wrote: My cpu is an i7-7700, 2.80 GHz, but Zangetsu's recommendation did it, the game is running quite well now, thank you very much!

Glad you got it sorted Smile
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64