Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon - Radar and Lock-On Issues on nightly build
I was trying to fix some issues on "Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon" (Region: NTSC_U, Serial: SLUS-20382, CRC: 1B791836). I wanted to play it in Hardware Mode, 16:9 in 4k and with the widescreen patch enabled on the latest nightly build (I keep it updated), I thought I wouldn't run into any issue since its sequel "Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam" (Region: NTSC_U, Serial: SLUS-20821, CRC: 59319476) worked flawlessly out of the box.

With the widescreen patch enabled the radar and the lock-on target get offset diagonally (toward bottom-left). I tried to fix the issue by changing some values in Renderer>Upscaling Fixes, I tried every option but nothing had any influence on the offset (since the radar isn't a texture the Texture Offsets option with the X and Y values did nothing).

I tried changing the renderer (Vulkan, DX11, DX12, OpenGL and even software) and I aimlessly played a little with most of the settings in the Render and Display tabs. I don't have any strange shared settings since I just downloaded the new version of the emulator this week, before this I was using the 1.6 version (it didn't work on that either, and in general I've been using PCSX2 for 5 years) and I use per-game settings, so basically everything is set to default for the new games I add.

Below I attached some reference images (I always did a fresh boot while trying different options):
1 - 4:3 screenshot
2 - 4:3 + widescreen patch
3 - 16:9
4 - 16:9 + widescreen patch
5 - 4:3 and then while in game I changed to 16:9 and enabled the widescreen patch, this way the radar is fixed until a new loading happens and the camera zooms in with a really low fov. When a new loading happens it behaves like image 4, so the radar is f*cked again.
6 - 16:9 + widescreen patch (target reference) the target reticle should point at the torso, not between the legs
7 - 4:3 screenshot of the sequel " Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam" (red robot)
8 - 16:9 + widescreen patch (red robot)

And I have a question: when I enable the widescreen patches, where does the emu takes them from? I read they're taken from the zip file called "cheats_ws.zip" in the resources folder found in the installation path of PCSX2, but if the emu doesn't find them there it looks for them in the cheats_ws folder. I saw a video where a guy edited the pnach file in order to enable only the desired cheats, he did it by replacing the ones with zeroes. I tried to do the same thing, but I don't know how these patches actually work. I edited the file and repacked it into the zip but the widescreen still worked as before, so my edit either did nothing or the emu took the file from another directory.

The pnach file, for reference:
//
gametitle=Mobile Suit Gundam - Federation vs. Zeon SLUS_203.82
comment=Widescreen Hack
patch=1,EE,00128708,word,3c024328
patch=1,EE,002c20cc,word,3c024395
//

So thanks for everyone willing to help in advance. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong or if this issue can't be fixed and I have to live with the fact that I can only play the game in 4:3.

I always keep my system updated to the latest drivers and these are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600k
GPU: Asus GeForce ROG Strix GTX 1070 O8GB
RAM: 16 GB DDR4

Sponsored links