Modding ps2 game files issue
I unpacked a iso i made awhile back and noticed how simple it looked to swap certain assets (npcs for example) but i cant get a working iso built from the raw files that will run in PCSX2.

Any help is appreciated.

I should also mentioned this is for personal use.

Sponsored links

Try image burn
from memory repacking the iso exactly the same wont be possible until you analyse any potential differences between the repacked iso and the original

it WILL be different as ps2 discs have many tweaks that separate them from ordinary iso's

i dont know of any ways to repack them into a PS2 form, id imagine someone a bit more experience could answer that, would it also be possible to swap the files in the iso instead of unpacking and repacking??
[Main Computer] - CPU: I7 950 @ 3.2Ghz | GPU: Twin Nvidea GTS 450's SLI'd | RAM: 8GB DDR3 - 1600MHz | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | EMU: PCSX2 v1.0 | GS: GSdx32-SSE4 | SPU2: SPU2-X | PAD LilyPad | CDVD ****
apache will do that (if I read your question correctly), I'll attach it for you.

Attached Files
.zip   Apache.zip (Size: 734,01 KB / Downloads: 1.325)
(09-27-2012, 06:42 AM)soratidus999 Wrote: from memory repacking the iso exactly the same wont be possible until you analyse any potential differences between the repacked iso and the original

it WILL be different as ps2 discs have many tweaks that separate them from ordinary iso's

i dont know of any ways to repack them into a PS2 form, id imagine someone a bit more experience could answer that, would it also be possible to swap the files in the iso instead of unpacking and repacking??

I believe PS2 discs only have a special lead in or something similar physically pressed that cannot be re-created. The ISO rips are just ISO images, nothing fancy.
correct, ps2 discs contain a specially developed boot sector which is seen from dvd drives as a "corrupted track" and has to be pressed on to the disc. Any attempts to burn it will be corrected by the hardware in your dvd drive and the PS2 will know it isnt a legitimate disc, which is why you need programs such as SwapMagic to use backup discs.

On PCSX2 however, we don't care about that track Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(09-27-2012, 11:53 AM)refraction Wrote: correct, ps2 discs contain a specially developed boot sector which is seen from dvd drives as a "corrupted track" and has to be pressed on to the disc. Any attempts to burn it will be corrected by the hardware in your dvd drive and the PS2 will know it isnt a legitimate disc, which is why you need programs such as SwapMagic to use backup discs.

What you say is basically correct, except for one 'techie' detail.

The special track is not really a boot sector, since nothing in it is executed by any CPU. It is just a 'check sector', so to speak, as the CDVD controller checks it and will not allow any further access to a DVD disc that lacks it, except for DVD-Video discs of course, as the PS2 has always allowed DVD-Video playback, even from burned discs.

The latter fact is what the homebrew driver called ESR relies on, to allow backup games to be played from burned DVD-R discs on any unmodified PS2 that can run homebrew ELFs. The ESR-patch applied to those game ISOs before burning makes such discs appear to the CDVD controller as if they had DVD-Video format. So the CDVD controller allows the ESR driver to access the disc content, and pass it on to the normal CDVD drivers of the game as normal game disc data.

Best regards: dlanor
I called it a boot sector as boot sectors are usually at the beginning of a disc and in a kind of way, a game will not "boot" on your ps2 without it Tongue But yes it is just a "Legal Disc Check" sector in all essence, there is no usable data stored there, unless you are playing a game with online play, i believe the disc id (we need to patch a file for) that only the ps2 can read is also within this sector.

(09-27-2012, 11:53 AM)refraction Wrote: correct, ps2 discs contain a specially developed boot sector which is seen from dvd drives as a "corrupted track" and has to be pressed on to the disc. Any attempts to burn it will be corrected by the hardware in your dvd drive and the PS2 will know it isnt a legitimate disc, which is why you need programs such as SwapMagic to use backup discs.

True but if I recall, there are tools that will force 1:1 read/write proccess. I can't remember what it was though, a modified firmware for a select number of burners or a tool that force it universaly but it was possible. I remember seeing it in practice 2-3 times before like 4-5 years. It was the same/simmilar idea as DC and there are a couple of discs that use the same idea on other consoles too like Action Replay and SwapMagic discs.
Those tools don't override the built in error checks in the drive, only the software error correction. I think it's actually impossible to turn off these days, mainly to curb piracy.