MoltenVK (Vulkan -> Metal translation layer) open sourced!
(03-06-2018, 11:16 AM)gregory Wrote: I'm not pro-OGL Wink I said, and it is still true that creating a Vulkan renderer for speed sake is a bad idea. However for portability point of view, Vulkan is the future for sure.
I'm still hoping for high-level library and an extension to support a kinds of GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock (without this capability Vulkan is useless).

Its sort of your fault for that you know Tongue2. I actually thought you had some bias towards opengl as well, every time i would say something regarding vulkan you would just brush it of as vulkan is overrated and didnt offer details, like about GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock (just one thing to clarify i never once hinted that you when talking about vulkan, it was just wishing it was implemented in pcsx2 regardless by whom Tongue2). Still... this is distressing for AMD users... with functions missing from vulkan as well, and with vulkan at hand they will probably brush of/ignore opengl even more it doesnt leave much room when it comes to pcsx2... Jokes aside, thanks for the explanation, i do actually realize that you probably explained thousands of times and there are those moments when its irritating so you just brush it aside. Its sad to know though that for AMD vulkan ain't the answer either... though i guess opengl software is better then nothing...

Sponsored links

(04-30-2018, 12:31 AM)Strike105X Wrote: Its sort of your fault for that you know Tongue2. I actually thought you had some bias towards opengl as well, every time i would say something regarding vulkan you would just brush it of as vulkan is overrated and didnt offer details, like about GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock (just one thing to clarify i never once hinted that you when talking about vulkan, it was just wishing it was implemented in pcsx2 regardless by whom Tongue2). Still... this is distressing for AMD users... with functions missing from vulkan as well, and with vulkan at hand they will probably brush of/ignore opengl even more it doesnt leave much room when it comes to pcsx2... Jokes aside, thanks for the explanation, i do actually realize that you probably explained thousands of times and there are those moments when its irritating so you just brush it aside. Its sad to know though that for AMD vulkan ain't the answer either... though i guess opengl software is better then nothing...

It isn't my fault. This GPU extension is the only way to implement GS effect.

It is the fault of AMD's fan. Instead to complain on AMD for a working driver, they bury their heads in the sand saying that AMD driver is perfect but "bad" developers don't follow standard, only optimize for Nvidia, ask tons of work around to make program compatible with AMD...

I'm sorry but why did you buy an AMD gpu in the first place.

If you want vulkan speed, sell your AMD's GPU, get an Nvidia GPU and use gl renderer. Or keep DX on windows. On Linux, free driver is better anyway....
(04-30-2018, 08:38 AM)gregory Wrote: It isn't my fault. This GPU extension is the only way to implement GS effect.

I'm sorry but why did you buy an AMD gpu in the first place.

Ahm... You totally misunderstood (although i was a bit tired and may not have formulated my statements in the best way), i jokingly said its your fault for getting misunderstood, just that missunderstood, the misunderstanding coming from not explaining why vulkan isn't the solution, i never once said or hinted its your fault for vulkan having missing instructions or for the OpenGL issues on AMD's side.

(04-30-2018, 08:38 AM)gregory Wrote: It is the fault of AMD's fan. Instead to complain on AMD for a working driver, they bury their heads in the sand saying that AMD driver is perfect but "bad" developers don't follow standard, only optimize for Nvidia, ask tons of work around to make program compatible with AMD...

Your taking things to far, yes the OpenGL issues are definitely AMD's fault, i did complained to AMD lots of times for their opengl support trust me... And its not like NVIDIA are saints, last year for quite a few months you couldn't play older then Skyrim Fallout/TES titles (among others) because they didn't want to bother with a fix for the issue on their end leaving it all to MS. And there are cases where things are indeed optimized for NVIDIA leaving AMD in the dust, of course PCSX2 is not one of them, generally though things aren't black and white, they are gray.

(04-30-2018, 08:38 AM)gregory Wrote: I'm sorry but why did you buy an AMD gpu in the first place.

Because it blew anything NVIDIA had to offer in its price range ? Except for PCSX2 OpenGL (which again i know the problem is on AMD's part) my RX480 works great, and performs great with anything i needed it to do, the only things in that price range from NVIDIA at that time where 2GB variants of the 960 and 1050, you would have to be stupid to buy those.

(04-30-2018, 08:38 AM)gregory Wrote: If you want vulkan speed, sell your AMD's GPU, get an Nvidia GPU and use gl renderer.

While i enjoy playing PCSX2 every now and then i wont sell my RX480 to get an inferior NVIDIA GPU just to use the GL render...

(04-30-2018, 08:38 AM)gregory Wrote: Or keep DX on windows.

That's what i'm doing, but unfortunately there are a few titles that only have fixes on the OpenGL side, not on the DX side, like Xenosaga for instance.

(04-30-2018, 08:38 AM)gregory Wrote: On Linux, free driver is better anyway....

To bad i'm on windows Tongue2.
The performance of MoltenVK is improving, and Dota 2 for macOS using Metal has been released.

Here's the problem, however: Metal is 64-bit only.

I guess that is a show-stopper since nobody is willing to port the recompiler to 64-bit?

I've got Microsoft's C++ compiler working in Wine:

[Image: mWFoXNo.png]

[Image: UkfN3Mf.png]

I haven't gotten PCSX2 to build with it yet however. I don't feel like trying to install the full Visual Studio stack in Wine.
Wine 3.13 adds support for Vulkan via MoltenVK.
Dolphin and RPCS3 are adding support for Metal via MoltenVK or gfx-portability.

Metal is 64-bit only, so a 64-bit plugin would be needed, and 32-bit code should be thunked to 64-bit code. Maybe hangover ( https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover ) would help?
Dolphin MoltenVK support is ready to be merged. https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/7039

Zink is implementing OpenGL over Vulkan. https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/...on-vulkan/

There are quite a few rumors that Apple will be switching its CPUs for the Mac line to ARM.

The only "show stopper" for "native"-OpenGL support on macOS is the following OpenGL extension: GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack

What specific GLSL features of OpenGL 4.2 does PCSX2 use?
(03-06-2018, 11:16 AM)gregory Wrote: I'm not pro-OGL Wink I said, and it is still true that creating a Vulkan renderer for speed sake is a bad idea. However for portability point of view, Vulkan is the future for sure.
I'm still hoping for high-level library and an extension to support a kinds of GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock (without this capability Vulkan is useless).

I think you got the extension at last: Happy
https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/..._interlock
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Docs/issues/975