Monster Hunter drop FPS
Question 
Hi there, thank you for making such an awesome program.
Generally i always get my way of solving problem with this emu for so long, but this one, i gave up, so please help.

Im running PCSX2 0.9.8 r4600 in my laptop windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
my laptop ACER 4720z, comes with 2.x core 2 duo with intel GMA graphic card. 2 GB RAM.

i know, it such a crappy specs i got here, but i wouldnt ask here if i know my problem was the specs.

so, since i have a crappy spec, it never come to my mind to get a mindblasting graphic or gameplay, i just want the game to be able playing at 50-60 fps even with bad graphic, since now im away from my PS 2 console.

my setting:
graphic : GSdx r4600 SSE 2 Direct X 9 (hardware) with native setting
sound : default
EE,VU,GS : default
speedhack: EE 3, VU 2, and check on recommended box.

The problem:
At the first 5 minute the game run smoothly at 60 fps with EE:40-50% and GS: 5-20%, VU: 0-5%. however, since the progression of the game (i dont know what provokes it), EE become:90-100%, GS :10-30%, VU still FPS drops to : 40 fps, and another minute or so drop to 20 fps.
I have been manage to deal with it by pressing Esc button and then hit resume, the game backs to 60 fps for 2 minute or so then again drop followed by EE rise to the top.

What i have been trying to deal with it:
- GS null --> not working
- SPU null --> not working
- messing with EE/GS setting --> make thing worse
- adding frame skip --> much worse
- disabling speed hack --> only get 2 minutes 60 fps before it drops
- disabling vsync --> get better without black flashing screen but not on fps drop.
and many more which doesnt seem to be a brilliant idea that is not worth mentioning

so, please, if there is anything i miss or may be have no idea at all, tell me! especially you, yeah you!

thx, best regard for PCSX2 team and forum members.

Sponsored links

You say you're using 4600 which was the release, yet you have a feature that was added after (mtvu as signified by the vu % you gave). Can you please get your info right please? Thanks!
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Try setting your Pewer Profile in Window's Control Panel to "High Performance" and disabling any kind of power saving features.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-22-2011, 02:28 PM)refraction Wrote: You say you're using 4600 which was the release, yet you have a feature that was added after (mtvu as signified by the vu % you gave). Can you please get your info right please? Thanks!

my mistake, i mean UI %, thx for noticing
cpu and graphic cannot support ps2 emulator + games

need at least really good com to play

go see this

ps2 machine hardware spec

CPU: 64-bit[3][4] "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (299 MHz on newer versions), 10.5 million transistors
System memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus or RDRAM
Memory bus Bandwidth: 3.2 gigabytes per second
Main processor: MIPS R5900 CPU core, 64-bit, little endian (mipsel).
Coprocessor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 1, Floating Point Divider × 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 9, Floating Point Divider × 1), 32-bit, at 150 MHz.
VU0 typically used for polygon transformations optionally (under parallel or serial connection), physics and other gameplay based things
VU1 typically used for polygon transformations, lighting and other visual based calculations (Texture matrix able for 2 coordinates (UV/ST)[47])
Parallel: Results of VU0/FPU sent as another display list via MFIFO (E.G. complex characters/vehichles/etc.)
Serial: Results of VU0/FPU sent to VU1 (via 3 methods) and can act as an optional geometry pre-processor that does all base work to update the scene every frame (E.G. camera, perspective, boning and laws of movement such as animations or physics) [48]
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 gigaFLOPS (single precision 32-bit floating point)
FPU 0.64 gigaFLOPS
VU0 2.44 gigaFLOPS
VU1 3.08 gigaFLOPS (with Internal 0.64 gigaFLOPS EFU)
Tri-Strip Geometric transformation (VU0+VU1): 150 million polygons per second[49]
3D CG Geometric transformation with raw 3D perspective operations (VU0+VU1): 66-80+ million polygons per second[47]
3D CG Geometric transformations at peak bones/movements/effects (textures)/lights (VU0+VU1, parallel or series): 15–20 million polygons per second[49]
Actual real-world polygons (per frame):500-650k at 30fps, 250-325k at 60fps
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG-2
I/O Processor interconnection: Remote Procedure Call over a serial link, DMA controller for bulk transfer
Cache memory: Instruction: 16 KB, Data: 8 KB + 16 KB (ScrP)

Graphics processing unit: "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147 MHz
Pixel pipelines: 16
Video output resolution: variable from 256x224 to 1280x1024 pixels
4 MB Embedded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 gigabytes per second (main system 32 MB can be dedicated into VRAM for off-screen materials)
Texture buffer bandwidth: 9.6 GB/s
Frame buffer bandwidth: 38.4 GB/s
DRAM Bus width: 2560-bit (composed of three independent buses: 1024-bit write, 1024-bit read, 512-bit read/write)
Pixel configuration: RGB: Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8, 15:1 for RGB, 16, 24, or 32-bit Z buffer)
Dedicated connection to: Main CPU and VU1
Overall pixel fillrate: 16x147 = 2.352 Gpixel/s (rounded to 2.4 Gpixel/s)
Pixel fillrate: with no texture, flat shaded 2.4 (75,000,000 32pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 1 full texture (Diffuse Map), Gouraud shaded 1.2 (37,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 2 full textures (Diffuse map + specular or alpha or other), Gouraud shaded 0.6 (18,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
GS effects: AAx2 (poly sorting required),[47] Bilinear, Trilinear, Multi-pass, Palletizing (4-bit = 6:1 ratio, 8-bit = 3:1)
Multi-pass rendering ability
Four passes = 300 Mpixel/s (300 Mpixels/s divided by 32 pixels = 9,375,000 triangles/s lost every four passes)[50]

Audio: "SPU1+SPU2" (SPU1 is actually the CPU clocked at 8 MHz)
Sound Memory: 2 MB
Number of voices: 48 hardware channels of ADPCM on SPU2 plus software-mixed channels
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz (selectable)
Output: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound, DTS (Full motion video only), later games achieved analog 5.1 surround during gameplay through Dolby Pro Logic II
I/O Processor
I/O Memory: 2 MB
CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8688 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
Automatically underclocked to 33.8688 MHz to achieve hardware backwards compatibility with original PlayStation format games.
Sub Bus: 32-bit
Connection to: SPU and CD/DVD controller.
(09-22-2011, 02:37 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Try setting your Pewer Profile in Window's Control Panel to "High Performance" and disabling any kind of power saving features.

thx for the reply.
already did the above, still no improvement, after 5 minutes EE max out and fps drop to 30. One more thing, if i save using F1 the fps drop to 15 until i hit resume.
i just tried r4918, still having same problem.
It sounds like you may be overheating and getting throttled. Download a program like PC Wizard and check your clocks and temps while in game. If your clockrate changes by a lot and the temps are over 55 C then you should check your heatsink and clean that bad boy. Good luck
(09-23-2011, 07:11 AM)hell321 Wrote: cpu and graphic cannot support ps2 emulator + games

need at least really good com to play

go see this

ps2 machine hardware spec

CPU: 64-bit[3][4] "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (299 MHz on newer versions), 10.5 million transistors
System memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus or RDRAM
Memory bus Bandwidth: 3.2 gigabytes per second
Main processor: MIPS R5900 CPU core, 64-bit, little endian (mipsel).
Coprocessor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 1, Floating Point Divider × 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 9, Floating Point Divider × 1), 32-bit, at 150 MHz.
VU0 typically used for polygon transformations optionally (under parallel or serial connection), physics and other gameplay based things
VU1 typically used for polygon transformations, lighting and other visual based calculations (Texture matrix able for 2 coordinates (UV/ST)[47])
Parallel: Results of VU0/FPU sent as another display list via MFIFO (E.G. complex characters/vehichles/etc.)
Serial: Results of VU0/FPU sent to VU1 (via 3 methods) and can act as an optional geometry pre-processor that does all base work to update the scene every frame (E.G. camera, perspective, boning and laws of movement such as animations or physics) [48]
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 gigaFLOPS (single precision 32-bit floating point)
FPU 0.64 gigaFLOPS
VU0 2.44 gigaFLOPS
VU1 3.08 gigaFLOPS (with Internal 0.64 gigaFLOPS EFU)
Tri-Strip Geometric transformation (VU0+VU1): 150 million polygons per second[49]
3D CG Geometric transformation with raw 3D perspective operations (VU0+VU1): 66-80+ million polygons per second[47]
3D CG Geometric transformations at peak bones/movements/effects (textures)/lights (VU0+VU1, parallel or series): 15–20 million polygons per second[49]
Actual real-world polygons (per frame):500-650k at 30fps, 250-325k at 60fps
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG-2
I/O Processor interconnection: Remote Procedure Call over a serial link, DMA controller for bulk transfer
Cache memory: Instruction: 16 KB, Data: 8 KB + 16 KB (ScrP)

Graphics processing unit: "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147 MHz
Pixel pipelines: 16
Video output resolution: variable from 256x224 to 1280x1024 pixels
4 MB Embedded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 gigabytes per second (main system 32 MB can be dedicated into VRAM for off-screen materials)
Texture buffer bandwidth: 9.6 GB/s
Frame buffer bandwidth: 38.4 GB/s
DRAM Bus width: 2560-bit (composed of three independent buses: 1024-bit write, 1024-bit read, 512-bit read/write)
Pixel configuration: RGB: Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8, 15:1 for RGB, 16, 24, or 32-bit Z buffer)
Dedicated connection to: Main CPU and VU1
Overall pixel fillrate: 16x147 = 2.352 Gpixel/s (rounded to 2.4 Gpixel/s)
Pixel fillrate: with no texture, flat shaded 2.4 (75,000,000 32pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 1 full texture (Diffuse Map), Gouraud shaded 1.2 (37,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 2 full textures (Diffuse map + specular or alpha or other), Gouraud shaded 0.6 (18,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
GS effects: AAx2 (poly sorting required),[47] Bilinear, Trilinear, Multi-pass, Palletizing (4-bit = 6:1 ratio, 8-bit = 3:1)
Multi-pass rendering ability
Four passes = 300 Mpixel/s (300 Mpixels/s divided by 32 pixels = 9,375,000 triangles/s lost every four passes)[50]

Audio: "SPU1+SPU2" (SPU1 is actually the CPU clocked at 8 MHz)
Sound Memory: 2 MB
Number of voices: 48 hardware channels of ADPCM on SPU2 plus software-mixed channels
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz (selectable)
Output: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound, DTS (Full motion video only), later games achieved analog 5.1 surround during gameplay through Dolby Pro Logic II
I/O Processor
I/O Memory: 2 MB
CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8688 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
Automatically underclocked to 33.8688 MHz to achieve hardware backwards compatibility with original PlayStation format games.
Sub Bus: 32-bit
Connection to: SPU and CD/DVD controller.

i know, however this is the third game i played with pcsx on my laptop. thx anyway for pointing that out

(09-23-2011, 12:52 PM)Hellraiseradio Wrote: It sounds like you may be overheating and getting throttled. Download a program like PC Wizard and check your clocks and temps while in game. If your clockrate changes by a lot and the temps are over 55 C then you should check your heatsink and clean that bad boy. Good luck

i thought so too, and i did clean them out. I think this is the fail-safe measure of my laptop to reduce the clock speed after reaching certain temperature, doesnt matter what setting i use.
And i dont think its worth it to break those safe measure (overclock).
i just wondering maybe... just maybe... there is something else i can do with pcsx setting.
(09-23-2011, 07:40 AM)syaarif Wrote: thx for the reply.
already did the above, still no improvement, after 5 minutes EE max out and fps drop to 30. One more thing, if i save using F1 the fps drop to 15 until i hit resume.
i just tried r4918, still having same problem.
Intel 4 Quad 2.8
Nvidia 9800GT
6 GB RAM.

Having the same problem with Alieter Iris 3(NTSC). Matter of fact just turned on the PC and started the game so there's no overheat probelm. FPS for the intro movie jumped to over 100 FPS then when I loaded the game and started moving the character around in the game's town, the FPS dropped to 45 or lower.(NTSC is 60 FPS)
Only thing I did was activate the 'Disable Framerate' to just tinker around then turned it off. Tried going through the various GSdx builds(4915 versions) and options but its the same thing.
Using the r4918 build to and that's when my own problems began. Never had a problem with earlier builds.

For some reason I'm getting this line in the log-
Path: C:\pcsx2-4918-windows-x86\plugins\ZZOgl.dll
File is not a valid dynamic library.
Some kinda plugin failure: C:\pcsx2-4918-windows-x86\plugins\ZZOgl.dll

I'm not even using ZZOgl plugin.
Edit-
*Smacks Forehead!*
Under Emulation Setting/GS Window, I had 'Aspect Ratio' set to '4:3' instead of 'Fit To Window/Screen'. That cleared up my FPS problems. syaarif, you may want to check out that setting.
(09-23-2011, 09:03 PM)Graeystone Wrote: Using the r4918 build to and that's when my own problems began. Never had a problem with earlier builds.

so 4917 is fine?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]