Most games in 4K don't work properly
Hi i finally bought a new pc and so i wanted to experience some of the old games of my beauty ps2 slim back on my newest pc.
They run very good with native, but when i try to run them with 3840x2160 custom resolution it doesn't usually end up good.

Quick example is God of War 2 that essentially have a wierd ghost effect all over the place, i managed to solve the problem by allowing hacks in the gs propriety
for offset y and offset x.
But other games simply wont run in 4k, such as Prince of Persia warrior within and the two thrones where i usually end up blinded
with white, red and yellow flicker screen from time to time.
I try to adjust the offset but looks like the problem get worse and not better.

Other games such as Silent Hill 2 don't have this issue and run flawlessly in 4k on my rig.
I have i5 6600, 12gb ram ddr4 and gtx 1060 6gb.

I usually run the games from the iso i make with imgburn but i also tried to run the games from the dvd drive as i thought
maybe some iso were damaged during the process but still it even happens with the original disc inside my pc running the game from pcsx2.
I use dx11 hardware in the games, with dx9 hardware most of the games run so slow but also look better but they run below 10fps.
If i try use dx11 or dx9 in software i cant upscale to 4k then back downscale to 1080p as i usually do with hardware mode.

Did anyone manage to find a fix?
Or its a game per game problem and impossible to fix?

Sponsored links

it's a per game problem.
What you need to understand is those games weren't designed to run in 4k.
means upscaling them can end up with undesired side effects.
that said, if I were you, i'd give ogl renderer a try instead of dx11. that could work better
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(04-11-2017, 06:54 AM)jesalvein Wrote: it's a per game problem.
that said, if I were you, i'd give ogl renderer a try instead of dx11. that could work better

Yea i understand that but its a shame really. Gow and gow2 works wonderfully in 4k and look like the ps3 counterpart if not better. So i wanted to experience pretty much all games i have in 4k :/ i switched from composite to component and wow the games on my ps2 looks much better but not as they could on pcsx2 in 4k mode. :/ silent hi 2 is night and day on my pc compared to component on my ps2.

How can i enhance the visual clarity other than 4k resolution? I tried the scaling method but x2 doesnt really look that better from native to me, and from x3 onwards i have those flicker graphics and insane ghosting :/

Edit: i need test more with opengl hardware yes thanks. But some games refuse to even show the graphics in open gl in 4k still :/
As said, it won't work with all games cause they weren't designed for 4k. You can fiddle with the graphic settings to see what looks best to you, but don't expect miracles with these. No one is going to have a magical settings that's going to just give you what you want for every game. You need to play around with the settings yourself. Some games just won't look much better despite what you do
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
The "Half Pixel Offset" HW Hack might help with the ghosting, but the upscaling itself is a hack, so you will get artifacts.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-11-2017, 06:54 AM)jesalvein Wrote: it's a per game problem.

To emphasize this, some games have their performance absolutely destroyed by upscaling more than x2, while they might run fine most of the game, there will be occasions in which the speed just goes down by significant amounts, an example that I recently found are the Oneechanbara/Zombie Hunters games, they would run fine until you get to fight a female boss with breast physics, and if that boss happens to be a playable character, speed can go down below 50%.

If you don't mind some a lot of aliasing, I suggest trying to settle on 1024x576 (16:9) or 1024x768 (4:3), and 1260x709 (16:9) for Namco Games with vertical lines.
Pressing F9 whenever there's a graphical or performance issue usually helps, too.
AKA the Crimson Threadkiller
CPU: AMD R7 5800X UV'd | RAM: 16(2x8)GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz (OC'd +200) |
GPU: Palit Dual Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 12GB UV/OC'd | OS: Windows 10 Home 21H1 | RES: 1080p165
Not only games weren't designed for 4k. But worst there were designed for CRT. GoW2 reduces the size of the frame buffer by 4 (640x480 becomes 160x120). And blend it with a small offset to generate an halo.

Note: if you want to use high upscaling, you might need to untick the "large framebuffer" option. It will reduce VRAM usage and improve a bit the fps.
(04-11-2017, 03:06 PM)gregory Wrote: Not only games weren't designed for 4k. But worst there were designed for CRT. GoW2 reduces the size of the frame buffer by 4 (640x480 becomes 160x120). And blend it with a small offset to generate an halo.

Note: if you want to use high upscaling, you might need to untick the "large framebuffer" option. It will reduce VRAM usage and improve a bit the fps.

I can manage the fps. that is not the problem
My video for Silent Hill 2 in 4k, go from 2:00 onwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdROm-lKfWc&t=217s i even show my system in action via msi afterburner.
And this is GOW2 in 4k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLd5x66gfuQ same story, much heavier game in my opinion.
No issue once i deal with the offset x and offset y.
I just wish other games will run someday as good as these in 4k :/ i know it cannot happen with the current plugins and
thigns like that but in the future when we will all have 4k and 8k setups? ps2 with native or x2 will look horrible,
much worse than now on normal 1080p or 4k setups.
(04-12-2017, 02:34 AM)REALundertank Wrote: I just wish other games will run someday as good as these in 4k :/ i know it cannot happen with the current plugins and
thigns like that but in the future when we will all have 4k and 8k setups? ps2 with native or x2 will look horrible,
much worse than now on normal 1080p or 4k setups.

just like PSx games today.
Time passes, things get old. Wink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
x2 will still look the same even on a 8k display. It depends on the size of your display, it will look nicer on a smaller display.

As Jesalvein said, you can't expect low depth/low res texture of a pre 2000 console to beat quality of HD game of 2020 Wink