Much worse performance/compatibility on Ubuntu 17.10 vs Windows 10 w/8700k
(02-08-2018, 01:28 AM)xenphor Wrote: I installed whatever the PPA recommended to be installed. As far as I'm aware there is only one open source driver for intel so I don't know what else it could be using. The compatibility is the same so far after I tested Quake 3 and UT in Windows which also had problems.

You could use software rasterizer driver.

(02-08-2018, 04:52 AM)scythefwd Wrote: xenphor - like I said.. its probably a configuration issue on my end.. but something isnt triggering a ramp up in cpu freq for me.

using lscpu, my cpu frequency is hovering between 800 mhz and 2600 mhz, even on max limiter.  My ee stays below 50%, my vu stays below 20%.  This isn't what I see in windows.  In windows, my EE jumps to 90% + when I go into max limiter, and my cpu frequency jumps to 3100 and stays there.. I dont think its a pcsx2 issue exactly (running 1.4.0 because it is what is in my repos.. I've not compiled from source to play with yet), but for some reason its not triggering the cpu frequency scaling.  I'll have to play with cinebench and see if I see the proc hit my turbo frequency.

Also, looks like you have an OC on that linux run.. is that a solid guess?

Maybe you should try to set the linux CPU governor to high performance/always full speed. At least to check the impact.

Sponsored links

gregory.. i did that, and my ee went up to 75ish % on max limiter. VU and gs hover round 45
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(02-08-2018, 10:45 PM)scythefwd Wrote: gregory.. i did that, and my ee went up to 75ish % on max limiter. VU and gs hover round 45

Do you have the same problem on your other computer?
(02-08-2018, 02:43 PM)gregory Wrote: You could use software rasterizer driver.

Maybe you should try to set the linux CPU governor to high performance/always full speed. At least to check the impact.

I set the governor to performance mode and still cannot run at full speed like Windows. I don't see anywhere on Google about an intel software rasterizer driver and not sure how that would speed things up.
(02-09-2018, 03:02 AM)xenphor Wrote: I set the governor to performance mode and still cannot run at full speed like Windows. I don't see anywhere on Google about an intel software rasterizer driver and not sure how that would speed things up.

https://mesamatrix.net/

You have software emulated GPU driver (so you can run without any GPU, for example in a virtual machine). Ofc rendering on CPU is slower than real GP and it should be avoided. Just look at PCSX2 message, it should print you the detected driver.
(02-09-2018, 12:39 PM)gregory Wrote: https://mesamatrix.net/

You have software emulated GPU driver (so you can run without any GPU, for example in a virtual machine). Ofc rendering on CPU is slower than real GP and it should be avoided. Just look at PCSX2 message, it should print you the detected driver.

Here is what it says:

OpenGL information. GPU: Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2) x86/MMX/SSE2. Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center. Driver: (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.4
INFO: GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic is available
INFO: GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 is available
INFO: GL_ARB_viewport_array is available
INFO: GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store is available
INFO: GL_ARB_copy_image is available
INFO: GL_ARB_clear_texture is available
INFO: GL_ARB_clip_control is available
INFO: GL_ARB_direct_state_access is available
INFO: GL_ARB_texture_barrier is available
INFO: GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image is available

Current Renderer: OpenGL (Software renderer)
No extenstion supported to get available memory. Use default value !
Available VRAM/RAM:3840MB for textures
GSdx Lookup CRC:0
Ok, Driver is fine. I have no clue.
I updated my Mesa to version 18 and still get poor performance. Checked using cpufreq-info and all cores were running at max frequency.
xeno - no sir, put it on max limiter on the other pc, and ee jumps to 98% and frame rate more than doubles...
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(02-09-2018, 11:09 PM)scythefwd Wrote: xeno - no sir, put it on max limiter on the other pc, and ee jumps to 98% and frame rate more than doubles...

Where did you select "max limiter"?