Much worse performance/compatibility on Ubuntu 17.10 vs Windows 10 w/8700k
(02-12-2018, 10:34 PM)scythefwd Wrote: It has a limited effect.. its not processing much, thats all handled in the cpu.. but your gpu shares ram, cache, and cycles with the cpu.. The extra load is minimal, but potentially noticeable when using the integrated gpu.

8gb really isnt a lot of ram, my laptop doubles that, my desktop quadruples that.. Background processes can hog more ram than you think.. I'm assuming you are using a vanilla install, so we're not looking at a sql server in the background, or a samba AD domain on it.. but it doesnt take much.. especially if there is a memory leak.

Do you have ffx2?  On max limiter, what fps do you see in OpenGL SW mode in the opening FMV?  I'd expect to see you hit a pretty steady 70 fps.. my weakling little 7200u, which has a stp of about 1800.. is pushing 50 - 60fps pretty much throughout the whole fmv.  Your 8700k STP is around 2700+.. basically a full 900 higher, 150% faster than mine... If you're not pulling a steady 60 fps in standard software mode in just about any game.. you have a system configuration issue..

With max limiter on ffx-2 fmv I get about 90 fps. However, in Street Fighter Alpha collection I only get 50fps with max limiter. https://i.imgur.com/z62DFrF.png

For comparison here is SFA in Windows at about 70fps with max limiter: https://i.imgur.com/hNVf62N.png

If I run the mainline 4.15 kernel with Ubuntu I actually get even worse performance in pcsx2.

Don't know what else to configure for my system because I already installed the latest mesa drivers.

Sponsored links

that seems low for EE usage.. in SW mode in max, it should be near pegged.. do you have any ee cycle overclocking going on?
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
screen shots aren't on the same screen.. but I'm noticing the graphics subsystem is pushing itself harder in the windows boxen.. Are you using extra rendering threads in windows that you aren't using in linux?
nzxt 340 case
30% difference, thats no small difference. Yes, you updated your mesa drivers.. but those are open source drivers.. they're written by the community, not Intel.. you're probably not getting a driver that is quite as optimized. I wouldnt expect a 30% reduction though. Honestly, rocking that proc.. easiest fix is to throw a couple hundred at it and get a 1060 installed. You can get mfg written drivers that are quite excellent. It could be a small system or gsdx config here or there.. but my bet is you are configured as well as can be, but the drivers available aren't as good.. I dunno. I'm seeing roughly the same performance.. within 10% or so on a kaby lake and 620 gpu.. the 630 might not be as well supported in the mesa drivers, its the newest kid on the block in the intel world.. I am loath to blame this all on video though..

Second thought.. your chipset might not be as optimized (driver/usage wise) in linux, but I'm doubting that..
nzxt 340 case
(02-13-2018, 03:59 AM)scythefwd Wrote: 30% difference, thats no small difference. Yes, you updated your mesa drivers.. but those are open source drivers.. they're written by the community, not Intel.. you're probably not getting a driver that is quite as optimized. I wouldnt expect a 30% reduction though. Honestly, rocking that proc.. easiest fix is to throw a couple hundred at it and get a 1060 installed. You can get mfg written drivers that are quite excellent. It could be a small system or gsdx config here or there.. but my bet is you are configured as well as can be, but the drivers available aren't as good.. I dunno. I'm seeing roughly the same performance.. within 10% or so on a kaby lake and 620 gpu.. the 630 might not be as well supported in the mesa drivers, its the newest kid on the block in the intel world.. I am loath to blame this all on video though..

Second thought.. your chipset might not be as optimized (driver/usage wise) in linux, but I'm doubting that..

I thought intel developed their own open source drivers? They're supposed to be even better than their Windows drivers.

Both pcsx2 setups on Linux and Windows are configured exactly the same with all default settings except for adjusting extra rendering threads to 6.
I think they have a hand in it.. but I don think they're any better than the ones written in house.. I could be wrong though.. I'm probably newer to linux than you are, at least this time round.. last time opensuse didnt exist, caldera was still functioning, and mandriva was the bomb lol.
nzxt 340 case
(02-13-2018, 07:00 AM)scythefwd Wrote: I think they have a hand in it.. but I don think they're any better than the ones written in house.. I could be wrong though.. I'm probably newer to linux than you are, at least this time round.. last time opensuse didnt exist, caldera was still functioning, and mandriva was the bomb lol.

well the arch wiki says this:

Since Intel provides and supports open source drivers, Intel graphics are essentially plug-and-play.
Since I cannot find Linux drivers aren't available on Intel site, it makes me wonder at what level of functionality they provide drives... Support could be as little as supplying architecture reference docs, to one guy doing g it in his spare time, to a full team working full time. I don't see Linux drives on their site, so I'm doubting they're full timing it. Plug n play means it works, though it doesnt indicate that the performance is on par with drivers they have officially released themselves.
nzxt 340 case
Honestly the speed impact of the GPU or the driver with SW rendering should be small. Unfortunately I never tested SW rendering with Mesa driver, so I can't tell you the real impact. Hum, the only impact that I could imagine in running the GPU in high performance mode that steal available watt from the CPU (which throttle).
Well I've since gotten a 1050 ti and it doesn't run any better.