Multiple XS1 Problems
Hello all,

I have been searching forums and tweaking settings for hours attempting to get Xenosaga episode 1 to emulate properly with my new Asus Q550 laptop.

It has an intel core-i7 4500u, Nvidia Geforce 745M, and is running Win 8.1.

I am using 1.0.0 of pcsx2 and have tried multiple configurations. My problems are currently the following:

1. The first movie cutscene plays at an accelerated speed even though frame limiter is on.

2. Once it moves into the cg cutscene where Shion is speaking to Kosmos there is a speedup and slowdown fluctuation of the speed. Nothing get out of sync if I leave the speedhacks alone, but it still seems to speedup (close to normal speed) and slowdown (sub-normal).

3. The in-game cg shadows have lines extending from the character model to the shadow making the characters look like reverse puppets.

4. The main menu, pause screen have a strange flicker/flashing. Also if I turn MTVU off in speedhacks the pause screen disappears.

I forgot to also say I am starting this from a ImgBurn ISO created from my own copy of XS1 in DirectX 11 Hardware mode with 2x scaling.

Sponsored links

take note that xenosaga1 is a "Catastrophic" demanding i don't think even a single strongest laptop can run that can at peak speed.
if you are experinced slowdowns check your temps run coretemp and pcsx2 at the same time check the reading if it's go beyond 90 you-in trouble
another thing is use "constant skipping" (Emulation settings-->GS) other than the other frameskipping settings.
plus don't Async on your sound settings.
finally don't run in "batteries" use AC power.

if it's still slow you midst play on a i5-4xxx desktop or on your PS2 instead.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Disable mtvu, enable texture filtering, and disable 8bit texture .
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
Brock: Should I fully enable texture filtering? I have it half checked right now. 8 bit is disabled and I'll retry disabling MTVU, thought that made pause screen disappear I suppose i know what it says there.
You need to fully tick texture filtering here. What do you mean by pause screen dissapper? Is when you pause the screen goes black or what?
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(11-15-2013, 03:47 PM)DraskelClan Wrote: Brock: Should I fully enable texture filtering? I have it half checked right now. 8 bit is disabled and I'll retry disabling MTVU, thought that made pause screen disappear I suppose i know what it says there.

(11-15-2013, 04:18 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: You need to fully tick texture filtering here. What do you mean by pause screen dissapper? Is when you pause the screen goes black or what?

If you pause Xenosaga I, change settings, and relaunch, the screen will be black until you unpause. Happens to me too. Also on save state load if you save while paused.

I get mild slowdown on the rig in my sig(Xenosaga is what I'm currently playing now). It was programmed in a weird way and is very demanding, especially CPU wise(GPU too, but not as much as CPU)

Edit: And Xenosaga is on my list here:

Games that may not work well with MTVU and it's well known that MTVU slows it down!
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
What I meant was that with MTVU turned off and I hit pause during a movie the text is not longer there o tell you to hit triangle to skip. It doesn't go black unless I pause then change from software to hardware mode. okay so MTVU off should help the slow down, how about the movie cutscenes (not cg) that play at 100+fps even with frame limiter on?
(11-15-2013, 11:27 PM)DraskelClan Wrote: What I meant was that with MTVU turned off and I hit pause during a movie the text is not longer there o tell you to hit triangle to skip. It doesn't go black unless I pause then change from software to hardware mode. okay so MTVU off should help the slow down, how about the movie cutscenes (not cg) that play at 100+fps even with frame limiter on?

Mine don't do that. You mean the MPEG cutscenes?

Are you using speedhacks, like maybe VU stealing?

If not, I'm not sure why it'd do that.

Here are screenshots showing the text with my settings on my rig(also showing proper 60 fps):

MPEG movie:
[attachment=46648]

Rendered Cutscene:
[attachment=46649]

No MTVU running. So that's something weird about your setup too(the text I mean).
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Yes I was referring to the MPEG movies. It isn't doing it anymore so one of the changes (maybe texture filtering) fixed it. Right now I am not using any EE or VU cycle stealing, although EE is running in the mid 70% group so I'm wondering if the next step of EE cycle stealing would be beneficial. The slowdown had gone away as well and I'm running level 4 SPU2 emulation so it sounds great. Would dropping spu2 down to 1 improve the strain on the EE cycles?

Text during pause isn't disappearing now, but main menu and pause screen text are flashing still. I can live with that though.
(11-17-2013, 12:54 AM)DraskelClan Wrote: Yes I was referring to the MPEG movies. It isn't doing it anymore so one of the changes (maybe texture filtering) fixed it. Right now I am not using any EE or VU cycle stealing, although EE is running in the mid 70% group so I'm wondering if the next step of EE cycle stealing would be beneficial. The slowdown had gone away as well and I'm running level 4 SPU2 emulation so it sounds great. Would dropping spu2 down to 1 improve the strain on the EE cycles?

Text during pause isn't disappearing now, but main menu and pause screen text are flashing still. I can live with that though.

If you're running at normal speed I'd leave the SPU2 where it is(which is where I have it).

I'm pretty sure the way the EE speedhack works is by underclocking the EE, and since Xenosaga pretty much maxes out the hardware anyway, if anything you are gonna slow it down by using that. You can always try and see though.