Music in Star Ocean 3 skips and pops
I've tried everything I can think of (adjusting each and every emulation setting, adjusting the audio settings), but I can't get rid of the audio glitches. The sound effects and voice acting (the voice audio is out of sync) sounds fine. Well, as fine as bad voice acting can get.

Sponsored links

Actually, now that I ave mentioned it, the sound effects and the voice acting is very out of sync, The voice acting is in sync at first but quickly becomes out of sync.
Two things affect it, first of all you have to run the game at full fps (50/60 PAL/NTSC) to have correct full game speed. If your hardware is too weak sound will depend on your SPU2-X settings, using AsyncMix the audio will run at full speed but will desync, if you use timestretch, it'll slow down whenever the game slows down.
Second thing very important in this game ~ slider speedhacks cause desync easily and actually will freeze/crash the game in some cutscenes ~ basically in the longer ones even slight use of any slider speedhacks will freeze it and you'll have to reload from normal in game save with speedhacks turned off;p, in the shorter ones it'll just desync and turning speedhacks off will allow to continue, so make sure to disable them and save often especially if you have to use speedhacks and it's your first time playing(or you don't remember when cutscenes start since once you enter the location of the cutscene, speedhack might already cause crash/desync it so you'll need a clean normal save from before entering cutscene location). One other speedhack is also pretty buggy in this game which is worth noting - "enable fast CDVD" will cause loadings much shorter and also cause problems with sounds which expect exact ps2 timing.

If you don't need those speedhacks(especially slider ones) and want to enjoy game without problems you should totally turn them off.
Odd, this is the first PS2 game I have played that really bugged out if I wasn't using the default NTSC frame rate. I usually have it set to 45 as it's less stressful on my system.

The voices are back in sync however there are some things that are not, like the footstep sounds.
Weird... I never had any problems with the game and I palyed it from start to finish a few months ago. Graphics and everything were flawless.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3
So you manually set the frame rate? Slowness aside, do the sounds/music play normally if you leave it on auto?
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit
(09-23-2013, 07:35 PM)M103 Wrote: Odd, this is the first PS2 game I have played that really bugged out if I wasn't using the default NTSC frame rate. I usually have it set to 45 as it's less stressful on my system.

The voices are back in sync however there are some things that are not, like the footstep sounds.

Well changing default framerate isn't really safe;p, there was at least one or two exceptions which required changing it to half, but as a rule that will only cause issues or simply slow the game down, which can be also made with framelimiter in much safer way. SO3 while not considered problematic game is very oversensitive about any non default settings(except graphics).

Not sure about footstep sound, but if you loaded state after changing the framerate setting back to default, reset the emulation and reload it from normal save as all kinds of issues, glitches and bugs are stored within savestates which are pretty much memory dumps with some extra info. Do same after disabling slider speedhacks if you used any.
Alright, looks like I missed one audio setting. The latency was set at max. Now it's at 50ms, which is a lot better but still is out of sync.

Also, this game has an absolutely beautiful soundtrack. Motoi Sakuraba did a stellar job.

Oh, and does this game actually support real surround sound?