My 24 hour testing experience with 0.9.8
As Hollow Ninja asked, here's a few screenshots of Trapt NTSC U/C played under software interlacing mode, as you can see in the first and second
screenshot , about the glitches I've mentioned before, some of the floor textures are missing and cannot be fixed with either software and hardware interlace, I've been seeing this problem ever since 0.9.6 version and seems hasn't been resolved yet. And on the third screenshot despite
the missing textures, the game plays on a very plausible speed , in mission times I always get a constant 59 to 60 fps which is a normal NTSC region speed even with framelimiter ON while on cutscenes it runs on a still fairly speed of 34 fps to 51 fps but not below 30 fps on cutscenes, in my own humble opinion, I think this game can run nice even on PC's with minimum PCSX2 requirements, it may not be full speed at all times, but still fun to play.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

(05-12-2011, 12:36 PM)Buko Pandan Wrote: As Hollow Ninja asked, here's a few screenshots of Trapt NTSC U/C played under software interlacing mode...

Dude, Interlacing is not related to SW or HW rednering.

Software rendering means the CPU does all the drawing calculations. Currently Software rendering only supports native resolution. It's mostly relatively slow.

Hardware rendering means the GPU (your graphics card) assists in drawing, especially in 3D games, and it can be reasonably fast in higher resolutions as well, which are supported.

Interlacing is a TV broadcast method where the odd and even horizontal lines of the image each represent a different image, and they are interlaced together, and should be displayed as 2 consecutive images and not one. The process of separating these images (technical term is "fields") is called De-interlacing (GSdx supports several kind of deinterlacing techniques, e.g. bob, blend, etc). If an image is interlaced and not properly deinterlaced, you'll see horizontal lines at the image, which can sometimes be conceived as a sort of blur.

Next time, if you don't know what a term means, ask. It's way better than using incorrect terms and confusing people which do know what these terms mean.
Essentially interlacing is what avih said, just hoping to make it a bit more easily understandable, interlacing consist in streaming the odd numbered lines first and the even numbered lines afterward. This reduces the needed bandwidth since the image can be presented as soon the first half comes and is immediately complemented by the second half.

This wiki article may provide a better understanding of the method and the historical reasons to it's existence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

Still, Pundo Pandan should not be reprimanded because "Interlacing" is what is seen in GSDX GUI and so prone to confuse the user... actually he's right in his statement.
Imagination is where we are truly real
It was more of a suggestion.
Oh my apologies, while I was composing that post # 41 , my mind is kinda fuzzy ,
as a result, I got mixed up software rendering to interlacing, I should have
said "SOFTWARE RENDERING" instead of "SOFTWARE INTERLACING", usually
when I'm having speed and graphic problems, I usually ignore the clamping modes and other configurations in the emulator, I always look into the GSDX rendering mode first before fiddling with the other configurations because I think, the gsdx rendering has major potentialities to fix graphical issues and speed on some games, so most of the time, I always point out gsdx rendering modes for the games I run before fiddling with the speedhacks and gamefixes , and I don't like resorting to overclocking just to speed up games cause I might mess up my buddyTongue
for now I am satisfied what games only my PC can run smoothly, and at least the readers of this thread learned something other than PCSX2 emulation and so am I, once again
I apologize for the confusion
In the end everything is well and fine... although it seemed indeed a confusion the statement is not wrong in itself since without the interlacing options (in the GUI) most games shakes to death Smile
(05-11-2011, 12:00 PM)Buko Pandan Wrote: Hmm.. Never thought that framelimiting disabling can do something like that, I never actually tried using framelimiting disabled during my tests, until you told me to try disabling the framelimiter in the shadow of the colossus game, I tried that but unfortunately even with the framelimiter disabled the speed didn,t change for the better not even a single fps, seems like my computer reached it's limit in terms of speed, the games my computer normally can handle are 2d games only and semi 3d or a not - so - solid 3d graphics , and as of what you're asking about the glitch in the Trapt game,

The glitches I only saw is that the floors and ground in the cutscenes are somewhat invisible, the characters are somewhat standing in an invisible floor or how can I say it, some of the floor and ground textures are missing even on both hardware and software interlace, and regarding how it runs, it's playable for me, it runs about approximately 31 to 47 fps on cutscenes and a perfect 60 fps on missions, hope this information helped, I'll send some screenshots on my next posts to clear things up about the glitches. Cheers!

Disabling framelimiting isn't going to help you get higher fps if you can't reach max in the first place. It can only make games that are going at higher than 60 fps go higher than that. So basically, you get to see the ceiling of speed that you can get.

From a technical perspective, SotC is probably one of the most intense games to emulate. However, due to speedhacks, it is much better in practice; people with a mid-range PC should be able to run it.
HP dv7 laptop :: Intel Core i5-560M @ 2.66 GHz :: ATI Radeon HD 5650 :: 4GB RAM :: Windows 7 64-bit
[Image: sig.gif]
(05-12-2011, 11:55 PM)HollowNinja Wrote: Disabling framelimiting isn't going to help you get higher fps if you can't reach max in the first place. It can only make games that are going at higher than 60 fps go higher than that. So basically, you get to see the ceiling of speed that you can get.

From a technical perspective, SotC is probably one of the most intense games to emulate. However, due to speedhacks, it is much better in practice; people with a mid-range PC should be able to run it.

So basically,only games that reaches full fps can benefit from the disabling mode and games that run within at least 45 and below fps won't see much changes in speed since that is the fastest speed the game has to offer on the PC that is in use, so that's why the fps won't go up
in my PC , thanks for the idea, another knowledge has been added up in my part.
Yes, that's right. Although never tested it myself is reasonable to suppose the framelimiting introduces a slight overhead on occasions the full FPS can't be reached. So makes sense people disabling it, the obvious disadvantage is when the speed surpass and makes the game too quick.

To these cases (if the above assumption is correct) using F4 to change the limiting on fly may be an option to better playability.
Nah, I don't think framelimiting will help in the slightest if you can't reach 60 in the first place. All enabling framelimiting does is introduce an upper cap to the speed that prevents it from going faster. It doesn't increase performance. The only real use for it is to get a benchmark for how fast your PC can run it. For example, if you can run a game at 100 fps at one point, then it's safe to say that with framelimiting on you'll probably be playing the game as if it were being played on the PS2 (barring graphical glitches).\
HP dv7 laptop :: Intel Core i5-560M @ 2.66 GHz :: ATI Radeon HD 5650 :: 4GB RAM :: Windows 7 64-bit
[Image: sig.gif]