My First Emulator
I have three PS2s. But lately I've been doing everything on my PC. I don't want to have to connect my HDMI to composite adapters to play on my HDTV and unplug stuff to make room for the PS2 cables. So I turned to emulation. I remember trying the original PCSX a while back for a mid-2000s laptop and it was a disaster. Now I have a Ryzen 7 3800X and can run everything from Modern Warfare 2019 to Red Dead II at max settings. Today I tried PCSX2 for the first time. I played Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front and MGS3 (the early-2000s PC ports of MGS1 and MGS2 launched on GOG Galaxy the other day... and yes, I have the fan patch to fix MGS2). Seeing that PS2 startup sequence on my PC was nothing short of amazing. Just knowing that I can save by pausing the emulation is awesome. Now I can save in the middle of a tough battle in FFX or during a cutscene in MGS3.

Maybe I'll buy a USB optical drive so I can play the games I have DVDs of.

Sponsored links

I'd recommend just making ISO's from your game DVD's as using the disc often causes issues and weird slowdowns because it doesn't constantly spin like a real PS2, just a suggestion though.

I also remember trying this emulator back in 2004, on a potato laptop and couldn't get anything to run. Good times xD

Have fun with the emulator Smile
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
(09-28-2020, 08:54 AM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: I'd recommend just making ISO's from your game DVD's as using the disc often causes issues and weird slowdowns because it doesn't constantly spin like a real PS2, just a suggestion though.

I also remember trying this emulator back in 2004, on a potato laptop and couldn't get anything to run. Good times xD

Have fun with the emulator Smile

Can I just get a USB external DVD drive and make ISOs from that? And if it does Blu-ray can I make PS3 ISOs?
(09-28-2020, 10:36 AM)Starwind Amada Wrote: Can I just get a USB external DVD drive and make ISOs from that? And if it does Blu-ray can I make PS3 ISOs?

Yeah an external one will be fine to make the ISO's.

You can definitely use a Blu-ray to make PS3 ISO's too. The PS3 emulator get better and better and plenty of games run great on it.

Just check the RPCS3 site and make sure that you don't need a very specific drive but I think any Blu-ray will be fine with making an ISO. I don't have one so I basically used my PS3 to rip all my games and then transferred them to my PC.
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
(09-29-2020, 02:26 PM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: Yeah an external one will be fine to make the ISO's.

You can definitely use a Blu-ray to make PS3 ISO's too. The PS3 emulator get better and better and plenty of games run great on it.

Just check the RPCS3 site and make sure that you don't need a very specific drive but I think any Blu-ray will be fine with making an ISO. I don't have one so I basically used my PS3 to rip all my games and then transferred them to my PC.

You do need a specific drive.

List is here: https://rpcs3.net/quickstart
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ

(09-29-2020, 02:34 PM)Kojin Wrote: You do need a specific drive.

List is here: https://rpcs3.net/quickstart

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-exter...Id=9243009

This one is on the list. I'm picking it up later today.

Here's a list of my disc-based PS2/PS3 games:

PS2
  • Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
  • The Getaway
  • Onimusha Trilogy Boxset
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: One Year War (Japanese import)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles (Japanese import)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Climax UC (Japanese import)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon
  • Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (Japanese import)
  • Operation Winback
PS3
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Battlefield Record 0081 (Japanese import)
  • Red Dead Redemption
I have more games but they're either since been ported to PC or I'll never touch them again (like the copy of Madden 03 I found yesterday).