My PCSX2 Final Fantasy X (FFX) Settings
Hey Everyone, I've run tons of searches on this, because FFX is basically the only game I want to play with PCSX2. With a lot of searching on this forum and some tinkering on my own, I've gotten very playable framerates, combined with surprisingly good quality graphics on a lower-powered laptop. I wanted to share my settings with anyone who is in a similar position. I'm still trying to tinker with my settings to hopefully bump up my framerates here and there, so if you have any suggestions, please post them.

PCSX2 - Beta 1190
GSDX - Build 0.1.7 (SSSE3), D3D9, Interlacing Blend tff, PS 3.0, Native Res, NLOOP Hack, Tex. Filter, Logarithmic Z, Alpha Correction (not sure what Log Z and Alpha Corr. do, but I checked them anyway)
SPU2-X - 0 interpolation, XAudio 2
Gigaherz CDVD Plugin 0.7.0 - Combined with MagicISO/Magic Disc Virtual DVDROM
[cpu] - all boxes checked, Force Limit 60Hz
[speedhacks] - x2 cycle rate, VU Cycle Stealing (up to "large speedup for 3D geometry, may break many games and make others skip frames"), all boxes checked
[advanced] - Round Mode: Chop/Zero, Clamp Mode: None, Flush to Zero (both EE Recs and VU Recs)

My Computer Specs (the important ones):
Dell e1505
Core 2 Duo T7200 - 2.0Ghz (667MHz FSB)
2GB PC-5300 DDR2
ATI Mobility Radeon x1400
Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
FFX NTSC Iso on Magic Disc Virtual DVDROM

Results:
- The slowest part for me is the opening sequence. I will open at 55-60fps, then it may lag down to 40-45fps at the very lowest, but recovers quickly to 50-55fps. The graphics are a bit pixelated, but MUCH better than when I tried using GSDX - SSE2. The interlacing helps smooth out the pixelation, kind of a poor-man's AA.

- The opening scene where you can control Tidus remains strong at 55-60fps.

- The first FMV sequence is what really stunned me. I was expecting my pcsx2 to crash or my cpu to explode, but I got a SEAMLESS FMV sequence, from start to finish, 60Hz all the way. If I had a complaint, its that the FMV was a bit grainy, kinda like watching an Blue-ray on a tube TV.

- Transition to battle sequences lagged to about 45fps. Battle sequence itself remained strong at 50-55fps.

I hope this helps someone. I also hope that I can play FFX to the end with the same results I described above. If anyone out there has a similar laptop build and has tips on how to improve the speed/quality of FFX on PCSX2, please post your findings.

Much thanks to the PCSX2 developers. Keep up the good work!

Sponsored links

I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but if you are running the game from a virtual drive, it may require more time to access the data than simply using the image directly. It's worth checking to see if you get an improvement by using Linuz Iso CDVD to directly access the disc image.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
(06-01-2009, 09:16 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but if you are running the game from a virtual drive, it may require more time to access the data than simply using the image directly. It's worth checking to see if you get an improvement by using Linuz Iso CDVD to directly access the disc image.

I tried using Linuz Iso CDDVD and I'm not sure if its me or what, but I keep getting the "error loading disc" message. Not sure what I was doing wrong, or what the whole 'compress'/'decompress' iso thing was all about. Gigaherz's drive ended up just being a hassle-free compromise. Ill give the Linuz plugin another look. Thanks for the advice
(06-01-2009, 09:30 AM)Dangeroo Wrote:
(06-01-2009, 09:16 AM)Larfin_Man Wrote: I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but if you are running the game from a virtual drive, it may require more time to access the data than simply using the image directly. It's worth checking to see if you get an improvement by using Linuz Iso CDVD to directly access the disc image.

I tried using Linuz Iso CDDVD and I'm not sure if its me or what, but I keep getting the "error loading disc" message. Not sure what I was doing wrong, or what the whole 'compress'/'decompress' iso thing was all about. Gigaherz's drive ended up just being a hassle-free compromise. Ill give the Linuz plugin another look. Thanks for the advice

'Error Loading Disc' error means that you have the ISO mounted. I think? So load the ISO when it's not mounted and you'll get it to work with Linuz.
Intel Core 2 Duo QX9750 Extreme Edition | eVGA 790i FTW | BFG GTX 280 OC 1GB | 8GB of Patriot Viper
(06-01-2009, 09:30 AM)Dangeroo Wrote: I tried using Linuz Iso CDDVD and I'm not sure if its me or what, but I keep getting the "error loading disc" message. Not sure what I was doing wrong, or what the whole 'compress'/'decompress' iso thing was all about. Gigaherz's drive ended up just being a hassle-free compromise. Ill give the Linuz plugin another look. Thanks for the advice

The "Compress/Decompress" features compress the ISO image to a smaller file size, Decompress restores a compressed ISO file back to the original size. I'm not sure if a smaller file size means faster decoding, I think it's simply to make the ISO files take up less space on your computer if you want to use it. All you actually need to do it use the "select iso" button and navigate to the ISO file, NOT to the virtual drive that has it mounted.
Sad 
[/quote]

'Error Loading Disc' error means that you have the ISO mounted. I think? So load the ISO when it's not mounted and you'll get it to work with Linuz.
[/quote]

Lol...thats was it. Thanks guys
So did you notice any improvements in performance?
Hello everyone! I have a problem with Final Fantasy X(PAL), the problem is this: http://kepfeltoltes.hu/090601/ffx1_www.k...es.hu_.jpg

My config: Win XP 32 bit, Core 2 Duo [email protected], HD4850, 2GB 1066MHz RAM and I use pcsx2 0.9.6(I tried with GSDX 0.1.14,0.1.15, ZeroGS 0.97.1 and ZeroGS KOSMOS)

what should I do, how let him function properly? Thanks and sorry for my bad english.
(06-01-2009, 03:18 PM)Larfin_Man Wrote: So did you notice any improvements in performance?

I just tried the settings, it looks like im averaging a few more fps/sec, but I havent tried it in battle yet. Thanks for the advice Larfin, Ill post some more results when I have time to fool around w/ FFX.
(06-01-2009, 03:59 PM)Oliver1986 Wrote: Hello everyone! I have a problem with Final Fantasy X(PAL), the problem is this: http://kepfeltoltes.hu/090601/ffx1_www.k...es.hu_.jpg

My config: Win XP 32 bit, Core 2 Duo [email protected], HD4850, 2GB 1066MHz RAM and I use pcsx2 0.9.6(I tried with GSDX 0.1.14,0.1.15, ZeroGS 0.97.1 and ZeroGS KOSMOS)

what should I do, how let him function properly? Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

I dont see what the problem is. Your graphics look good. If you're referring to the 'blur' maybe try adjusting your interlacing options (F6 to toggle through them in GSDX).