My experience so far (using mid-range laptop)
Hi everyone,

It seems the recent build (0.99 r-5226) is quite friendly for a mid-range laptop. I have been using PCSX2 for about 2 weeks now, frankly I am quite surprised that the so many games can be emulated very well on it. Btw, here's my spec:

cpu: i5-2410m (2.3 GHz - 2.9 GHz)
gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB (driver: 301.42)
mem: 4 GB

I have tried several games from my old PS2 collection, here're the results: (use custom resolution unless stated otherwise, all without hw anti-aliasing)

1) God of War 2 : full speed (native/native2x/4x..., half pixel offset, recommended speed hack, VUx2)
2) Resident Evil 4 : full speed (recommended speed hack, alpha hack)
3) Valkyrie Profile 2: 55-60 fps (recommended speed hack, MTVU, Tri-Ace)
4) Kingdom Heart 2 : full speed (recommended speed hack)
5) Silent Hill 3: full speed (hw mode dx9, recommended speed hack)
6) Silent Hill 4: full speed (recommended speed hack)

7) Virtua Fighter 4 Evo: 55-60 fps (recommended hack, MTVU, EEx2)
8) Gran Turismo 4: 55-60 fps (recommended hack, MTVU)
9) MGS3 Subsistence: full speed (recommended hack, MTVU, async mix)
10) Final Fantasy 12: full speed (recommended hack)
11) Final Fantasy 10: full speed (recommended hack, FF10 vid fix)
12) Tekken 5: full speed (1260x1260, recommended hack, MTVU)

13) Shadow of Colossus: 55-60 fps (EEx3, recommended hack)
14) Onimusha Dawn of Dreams: full speed (recommended hack)
15) Okami: 60 fps (gameplay), 20-30 fps (random cutscene) (recommended speed hack)
16) Soul Calibur 3: 52-58 fps; choppy FMV audio (1260x1260,recommended hack, 8 bit, MTVU, EEx2, async mix)
17) Haunting Ground: full speed (native/native 2x/4x...,recommended hack, half pixel offset)
18) Devil May Cry 3 SE: full speed (recommended hack, alpha, MTVU)
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB

Sponsored links

Thanks for posting results, did you run them all at native or a custom resolution?
<REDACTED>
Really intrigued by that "MGS3 Subsistence Full Speed". I have a laptop similar to yours (but with a better Graphic Card), i guess i can try to give it a go.

And also interested to Silent Hill 2 and 3, i guess i can play the HD Collection without bying it, but rather making it HD myself =D

Closing this post, another thing that i liked to read was that Valkyrie Profile 2 works well.

If anyone is interested i can post my experience with my laptop (not a whole bunch of games, but it may interest someone).
Your laptop specs is pretty good.
(05-27-2012, 08:49 PM)Livy Wrote: Your laptop specs is pretty good.

Yeah I'd say top of the mid-range, just before you cross into GTX and XM etc etc.
<REDACTED>
Note:

Sorry forgot to mention... I tested my list with 1280 x 720

Additional notes:

MGS3 subsistence is full speed but you have to enable async mix hack for the audio otherwise the fps in FMVs will take a dip.

Valkyrie Profile 2 is not free from graphical glitches despite performing so well speed-wise. A stage/area at the beginning of the story is completely unplayable (it's called the lost forest btw), I checked PCSX2 there is no solution to this (as for now) yet. Kinda have to bear with the slow software mode just for this area.
(05-27-2012, 08:41 PM)Zio Name Wrote: Really intrigued by that "MGS3 Subsistence Full Speed". I have a laptop similar to yours (but with a better Graphic Card), i guess i can try to give it a go.

And also interested to Silent Hill 2 and 3, i guess i can play the HD Collection without bying it, but rather making it HD myself =D

Closing this post, another thing that i liked to read was that Valkyrie Profile 2 works well.

If anyone is interested i can post my experience with my laptop (not a whole bunch of games, but it may interest someone).

Just make sure to play SH3 in dx9 hw mode otherwise you'll run into shadowing problems. The opening movie at the beginning (with the theme song: you're not here) is playable only in software mode. Well... anyway... the wiki explains a lot better than me for the complete bug list.
(05-28-2012, 02:23 AM)strider3871 Wrote: Note:

Sorry forgot to mention... I tested my list with 1280 x 720

Additional notes:

MGS3 subsistence is full speed but you have to enable async mix hack for the audio otherwise the fps in FMVs will take a dip.

Valkyrie Profile 2 is not free from graphical glitches despite performing so well speed-wise. A stage/area at the beginning of the story is completely unplayable (it's called the lost forest btw), I checked PCSX2 there is no solution to this (as for now) yet. Kinda have to bear with the slow software mode just for this area.

About MGS 3: I'll test it out when i'll see my brother (he has the game). Hope that being the PAL Version (You did not specified regions for the game but i'll assume all of them are NTSC U/C).

About Silent Hill 3: No problem with that, i'm already using DX9 because i'm playing Xenosaga Ep. II using them instead of DX11 because of the transparency bug and i find it a bit more compatible. I think that major compatibility is better thant a performance boost in some cases (checked Xenosaga Ep. II with Turbo Mode, i lose something around 6-7 FPS average and i have some little frame dips when passing from a location to another, but except from those little details, the game plays fullspeed both on DX 9 or 11)

And about Valkyrie Profile 2: Well, i guess i can live with some glitches and i can always rely on Software Mode (a HUUUUUUGE help in Xenosaga Ep. I when there was a crapload of things on screen like AGWS, Enemy Mechas, and so on, i managed to get from 25-27 FPS HW Mode to 50-55 SW Mode). Using GSDX AVX, MTVU Hack and the other recommended Speedhacks.
i just wanted to say i have a similar build except i have the 550m can you plz post all your settings ive been trialing gow 2 and get between 50-60 mostly around 57 didnt know if that was considered full speed or not (im assuming so) but would really appreciate some pics or list of all your settings thanks
(05-29-2012, 12:47 AM)silvers46 Wrote: i just wanted to say i have a similar build except i have the 550m can you plz post all your settings ive been trialing gow 2 and get between 50-60 mostly around 57 didnt know if that was considered full speed or not (im assuming so) but would really appreciate some pics or list of all your settings thanks

OK, I'll try to be as detail as possible, I hope this helps:
1)EE/IOP: (default)
EE: Recompiler
IOP: Recompiler
EE/FPU: Chop/Zero
Clamping: Normal

2)VUs (default)
VU0: microVU Recompiler
VU1: micro Recompiler
VU0/VU1: Chop/Zero
Ckamping: Normal

3)Speedhacks
Enable INTC Spin Detection
Enable Wait Loop Detection
mVU Flag Hack
VU Cycle Stealing: x2

Note: just remember, for GoW2, use either native or 2x native (can be better as long as your spec permits) and combined it with half pixel offset hack to eliminate ghosting problem.

I get constant 59-60 fps with this. It gets low fps sometimes like 52-53 fps when there is a close-up explosion on the screen, but it only lasts for 1 second or less probably, so the game is basically very playable.