My framerate is terrible
Sad 
Hi I am trying to use the PCSX2 0.9.8; but I am having lots of framerate problems with all of my PS2 games. I have tried with MGS3: Subsistance, DMC3, FFX, shinobi, etc. I know that making ISOs of my games could pump a bit the framerate, but I dont want to spend a lot of hours making iSOs of every game I have (more than 200). And also somehow the ISOS dont work for me Wacko . I really like the idea of trying my PS2 games on a PC because the graphics are much better compared to what they look originally.

My PC specs are:

Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 4094 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Graphics Card = NVIDIA GTX 580

My PC can run CRYSIS and WITCHER 2 at maximum settings, so I think my problem is not about hardware, but about the plugins. So far I have tried lots of plugins and yet most of the times the framerate is below 15 fps Sad. Only when there are some CGIs the framerate tops 50 fps.

I would like to know which plugins are best suited for my PC. Any help would be much appreciated Smile

Sponsored links

First off; never compare PC games to emulation. A PS2 EmotionEngine (CPU) comprises of 8 cores each clocked at 294.912Mhz which are tightly synchronized and therefore requires a lot of processing power to emulate at a constant, full speed.

The games you mention, save FFX, are very demanding games on the emulator. Have you tried enabling speedhacks (In "Emulation Settings" under "Config") and seeing if you get any performance boost?
Want to contribute? Don't know how? Check out the PCSX2 Wiki page!

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
(07-11-2011, 10:54 AM)MyDreamName Wrote: First off; never compare PC games to emulation. A PS2 EmotionEngine (CPU) comprises of 8 cores each clocked at 294.912Mhz which are tightly synchronized and therefore requires a lot of processing power to emulate at a constant, full speed.

The games you mention, save FFX, are very demanding games on the emulator. Have you tried enabling speedhacks (In "Emulation Settings" under "Config") and seeing if you get any performance boost?

the speed hacks that are "recommended" are already enabled, also when I change the configuration of the graphics plugin in order to have better graphics quality, the FPS maintains at the same crappy rate, it doesn't decreases (If I pump the quality, shouldn't it get slower??) lol; so I think I need different plugins Wacko
No, it shouldn't get slower when you increase your graphical quality; your CPU should be your definite bottleneck, not your GPU, which is why you could increase the resolution of the game without any decrease in the speed of the game.

If you look at the top of the game (on native resolution), and EE is reaching close to 100%, it just confirms that your CPU is reaching full capacity and that you cannot do much more than upgrade or overclock your CPU or enable more speedhacks.

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
Your graphic card can take the image quality improvements just fine.
You should definitely get more than 15FPS in FFX.
If not, please follow the configuration guide here:
http://pcsx2.net/guide.php
By the way, can you post a picture of your plugins plus all of the PCSX2 settings tabs?

Just so we can make sure you're not using an outdated PCSX2, outdated plugins, or doing something like using the interpreter mode. Tongue

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
(07-11-2011, 10:26 PM)MyDreamName Wrote: By the way, can you post a picture of your plugins plus all of the PCSX2 settings tabs?

Just so we can make sure you're not using an outdated PCSX2, outdated plugins, or doing something like using the interpreter mode. Tongue

ok I will try putting some pics, but; there is a thing that makes me think that I need some more ram. My bro has a Mac book pro, he has an i7 processor just like mine, but 8 gb ram, and the emulator runs well, even while pumping up some graphics specs. In my PC even with the graphics like ultra crap I have FPS abysmal drops

He has a i7 920 2.66 ghz, and we have tried in his laptop shinobi, MGS3, and DMC3. The games run well without any graphics enhancement, but if he puts scaling x3 native resolution the games also run pretty good with some little drops in FPS, but nothing catastrophic. Also I find weird that it looks like the graphics card doesn't make much difference in emulation, because even though his video card only has 512 mb, and mine 1.5 gb I cant even play 1 game decently.
Most modern computers have enough RAM, and you shouldn't worry if you have 4GB. I am using about 3.4GB (because my system is taking a big chunk of my physical 4GB) and I have no particular problem. The graphics card does make a difference, just mostly in the enhancements. Most modern graphics cards should be able to emulate the graphics synthesizer (PS2 video card-like thing) well.

What clock speed is that i7 on the Macbook at? And are you running at close to 100% for EE (on the title bar of the emulator while on native res) while trying to play a game? Those screenshots would be helpful too, in the next post.

Keep safe with MyWOT.

I have everything...
Cannot really be compared, since pcsx2 under Mac OS doesn't use gsdx but zzogl.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
[Image: configurationv.png]
By heavenly_king at 2011-07-11

[Image: configuration3.png]

[Image: configuration4.png]

[Image: configuration2.jpg]

[Image: shinobi.png]

AND THE LAGFEST!!!:
[Image: shinobi2.png]

For some reason the emulation is running faster than before. Even some times I can play with 60 FPS at parts where previously I got 15 FPS, but sadly it then it drops a lot.