My game runs slow on GSDX hardware mode but smooth in software mode
Pc specs
Windows7 Ultimate 64 bit
Intel core I5 3570k cpu @ 3.40ghz (4 cpus)
16gb ram
direct x 11
Nvidia geforce 8600gt 4gb

So i tryed running onimusha dawn of dreams and i get like 10fps ULTRA slow motion in both gsdx9 and gsdx10 hardware mode.
However if i change to software mode i can play the game very smoothly but of course the graphics suck.
I tryed enabling speed hacks etc and so far nothing has changed, can anybody shed some light in to this issue i have?

Sponsored links

Your GPU is very weak, while your CPU is very powerful. In software mode you use only the CPU, while in hardware you use also the GPU. And this explains your problems. With that GPU I would suggest no more than native resolution (the same you have in software mode). So if you want to play better you have to change GPU.

Oh and speedhacks work on the CPU side, not on the GPU...

Edit: and the last thing: I'm almost sure that the GPU integrated in that CPU (intel HD4000) is way better than the 8600gt, even if the HD4000 is not a strong GPU at all...
Ryzen 7 3800X | Noctua NH-D14| Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro| RX Vega 64| 2*8GB Patriot Viper 3733MHz C17@3733MHz C16| Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 970EVO 512GB NVMe| 4TB Hard Drive| Samsung C25FG7 + Samsung S24D300 + Samsung S24F250| NZXT Phantom 410| Enermax Revo'Xt 730W| Gigabyte M6900
would help knowing what game it is...

I remember some basically 2D games ran better on software mode does not matter the GPU, was once the case for example of Shadow Hearts.

May not be a reassuring thing but I bought yesterday the Divine divinity collection from Steam and the first one was sluggish and the mouse lagging to despair... till I found if I put it in software mode I can get stead 60 FPS (limited by the GPU driver by option) and the game becomes totally smooth and at 1920x1080... And it is a native PC game Smile

This seems to happen only at win8 and it runs fine on win7 (that case, I mean).

Returning to the actual problem... please tell us which game is that you are trying to play, your GPU should run most games without much fancies but reasonably well.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(12-22-2012, 10:12 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: would help knowing what game it is...

I remember some basically 2D games ran better on software mode does not matter the GPU, was once the case for example of Shadow Hearts.

May not be a reassuring thing but I bought yesterday the Divine divinity collection from Steam and the first one was sluggish and the mouse lagging to despair... till I found if I put it in software mode I can get stead 60 FPS (limited by the GPU driver by option) and the game becomes totally smooth and at 1920x1080... And it is a native PC game Smile

This seems to happen only at win8 and it runs fine on win7 (that case, I mean).

Returning to the actual problem... please tell us which game is that you are trying to play, your GPU should run most games without much fancies but reasonably well.

(12-22-2012, 06:04 PM)Soulreaper12 Wrote: So i tryed running onimusha dawn of dreams
Never heard of a 4GB 8600GT.
Especially not one that supports DirectX 11... Happy

Are we sure that's the right model...?
Or have you just jacked the internal resolution up substantially in Hardware mode...?

It would almost seem you have yourself some gimpy 64-bit card.
The HD 4000 can have better memory bandwidth through your system RAM,
and might just come out ahead, if the poor fillrates don't stop it.

The more realistic solution would be to buy a better GPU...
Yep that makes a lot of sense thanks! It runs fine on my other computer