My graphics card crashed, suggestions??
I have finally got the emu to work... or so I thought. I loaded in Madden 09 and got the Madden 09 screen to come up. Then before finished loading my screen goes black for a second and the game window is now black but still showing that it is operating ( basing this off the fact that the window top bar is still counting fps and my cpu percentage). A message pops up down in my icon tray and reads that my graphics controller has stopped working and has now come back online, in fine print it list details and mentions something about igfx being the problem. I tried different config settings afterwords but couldn't even get the game to load as far as it did before. Any suggestions would be great. If needed I can list my laptop specs and what configuration I used for the emu. Thanks.

Sponsored links

Try updating/changing your graphics card drivers, it is crashing for some reason
[Image: newsig.jpg]
The problem seems to be:
1) GPU drivers not up to date.
2) GPU overheating. (Most likely the case.)

If 1) is the case, update GPU drivers. If 2) is the case, try placing the laptop somewhere else. Laptops generally have poor airflow, so you need to put it on a flat surface like a table. At the least, make sure the ventilation is not blocked by anything.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
(09-07-2009, 08:12 AM)Bositman Wrote: Try updating/changing your graphics card drivers, it is crashing for some reason

Yup, did that 2 hours ago and found out my driver was a year old. I did that then played game and found that problem.
(09-07-2009, 08:14 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: The problem seems to be:
1) GPU drivers not up to date.
2) GPU overheating. (Most likely the case.)

If 1) is the case, update GPU drivers. If 2) is the case, try placing the laptop somewhere else. Laptops generally have poor airflow, so you need to put it on a flat surface like a table. At the least, make sure the ventilation is not blocked by anything.

yea you prolly got me on the overheating issue. I have had a heating issue with this laptop. I have thought about buying one of those intercoolers you put underneath laptops. Would that thing actually help or be a waste of money?
(09-07-2009, 08:03 AM)koo_weaver Wrote: I have finally got the emu to work... or so I thought. I loaded in Madden 09 and got the Madden 09 screen to come up. Then before finished loading my screen goes black for a second and the game window is now black but still showing that it is operating ( basing this off the fact that the window top bar is still counting fps and my cpu percentage). A message pops up down in my icon tray and reads that my graphics controller has stopped working and has now come back online, in fine print it list details and mentions something about igfx being the problem. I tried different config settings afterwords but couldn't even get the game to load as far as it did before. Any suggestions would be great. If needed I can list my laptop specs and what configuration I used for the emu. Thanks.

i tried different game and every time same thing happens, I let the laptop cool down directly in front of my fan. it says in the message box that display driver igfx has stopped working and now recovered, but the game window doesnt show anything. Im thinking that my graohics card cant handle it or something. I have a intel GMA965 chipset, i read through documents to be sure i was using want my card could "supposedly" handle. from what i read it handles ssse3, d3d10 sompliant and a few other small things. I know it aint the best thing but I can get this card to handle quite a bit. I am running vista with 3062mb of ram. its an intel dual core T2330 @ 1.6ghz each. if this isnt good enough and someone knows it please tell me, I dont want to keep messing with it if it ends in vain.
Oh it's a crappy Intel onboard huh, that explains it...try setting GSdx to DX9 mode but even if the specs say it supports all that, it rarely works properly when stressed...
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(09-07-2009, 09:43 AM)Bositman Wrote: Oh it's a crappy Intel onboard huh, that explains it...try setting GSdx to DX9 mode but even if the specs say it supports all that, it rarely works properly when stressed...

yeah its a POS, just found out the sacrifice I made for portability versus expandibility. I was hoping I could upgrade the video card and that is a no go. So looks like I will be playing this emu on my desktop. Not a big deal, I knew I would hit an ability limit with this laptop sooner or later, thanks for everyones input.