My new fork of PCSX2 makes 1.6.0 compatible with Windows XP
(10-24-2020, 07:50 AM)Tetra_Tower Wrote: I'm not sure why you're going so hard in the paint on this.  You just said you'll eventually drop Windows 8.1, and that it's not your goal to end up with Windows 10; but that you are following Microsoft's lead.  Which is exactly what my analogy of the Win 10 train means.  You're following the Microsoft Windows trajectory train.

Eventually we will likely drop it, and here's the reason why.

We keep our tools up to date, microsoft removes support for older OS's when upgrading their tools, which puts us in a position where we can no longer support the OS's. Going forward Microsoft is only going to have Windows 10 and support for the older operating systems will end, that's just how technology goes, it's not ours or microsofts problem that you want to hold on to an outdated OS as long as possible, we are beholden to the tools, if you don't like the fact Microsoft removes the support for older OS's from their tools, you really need to take it up with them not complain to us.

To make the point clear: We do NOT remove support for an old OS just because it's old, it's simply because the tools we are using no longer support it, it's not our fault, and it shouldn't be a problem as it's ill advised for users to use an outdated operating system anyway.

We're not on any "train", we're just moving forward with the technology, if you have a problem with that, tell Microsoft to stop advancing technology instead of complaining to us.

Alternatively, use an older version of the emulator and stick with that. 1.6.0 is still good, 1.4.0 isn't terrible, we're not taking your toys that you already had away from you, we do this for free, we owe you nothing, if you don't like what we're doing, that's just tough.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

(10-24-2020, 08:46 PM)refraction Wrote: To make the point clear: We do NOT remove support for an old OS just because it's old, it's simply because the tools we are using no longer support it, it's not our fault, and it shouldn't be a problem as it's ill advised for users to use an outdated operating system anyway.

Alternatively, use an older version of the emulator and stick with that. 1.6.0 is still good, 1.4.0 isn't terrible, we're not taking your toys that you already had away from you, we do this for free, we owe you nothing, if you don't like what we're doing, that's just tough.

Perhaps packing a "retro" pcsx2 version would be a decent idea? One where XP/7 support ends, before the modern version takes over?

you could easily separate the two and note them accordingly on the site as well
unfortunately, many people can't read.
and they would still ask for support, because "they downloaded it from the main web site"
that support we couldn't provide anymore...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I'm a bit confused. Why is it so important to keep supporting Windows 7? I read that Win 7 supports some software that no longer works on Windows 10. I'm sure there are updated versions, or new software, that will work fine on Windows 10. If not, then it's some really obscure software that no one would even use anymore. Also, think about all the new software that will be released for Windows 10, that won't work on Windows 7. You have more to gain than lose by upgrading. That's not even counting all the new hardware that will only have Windows 10 supported drivers. So you want to buy a new GPU, but you can't cause it won't work on older Windows versions. You're going to be stuck in a situation where you can never get a new computer because none of the hardware will work. You can't get security updates, so you put yourself at risk every time you access the web. Even safe sites you go to all the time can be hacked. I've been victim to that myself.

Other points why people don't want to update to Windows 10:
"To much spyware" - You can easily disable it all. There are free programs you can download that will take care of all that for you in a few seconds
"Mandatory updates" - Microsoft has stopped making the feature updates mandatory. You only need to download the important security updates.
"I don't like Cortana" - Ok, this is an old argument and you can easily disable it

I personally like the Windows 7 UI a lot better than Windows 10, so I just use skins and other apps that literally transformed the Windows 10 UI to look AND behave like Windows 7. But that's just personal preference. I wouldn't keep using Windows 7 just for that reason. Now if people want to keep using Windows 7, then fine. But when people get pushy about devs not supporting it anymore, then I think that's a stupid argument and it should be common sense that any developer would stop supporting an OS that isn't supported by Microsoft anymore. But that's just my 2 cents (long rant over)
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(10-29-2020, 12:47 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: I'm a bit confused. Why is it so important to keep supporting Windows 7? I read that Win 7 supports some software that no longer works on Windows 10. I'm sure there are updated versions, or new software, that will work fine on Windows 10. If not, then it's some really obscure software that no one would even use anymore. Also, think about all the new software that will be released for Windows 10, that won't work on Windows 7. You have more to gain than lose by upgrading. That's not even counting all the new hardware that will only have Windows 10 supported drivers. So you want to buy a new GPU, but you can't cause it won't work on older Windows versions. You're going to be stuck in a situation where you can never get a new computer because none of the hardware will work on your old version of Windows. You can't get security updates, so you put yourself at risk every time you access the web. Even safe sites you go to all the time can be hacked. I've been victim to that myself.

Other points why people don't want to update to Windows 10:
"To much spyware" - You can easily disable it all. There are free programs you can download that will take care of all that for you in a few seconds
"Mandatory updates" - Microsoft has stopped making the feature updates mandatory. You only need to download the important security updates.
"I don't like Cortana" - Ok, this is an old argument and you can easily disable it

I personally like the Windows 7 UI a lot better than Windows 10, so I just use skins and other apps that literally transformed the Windows 10 UI to look AND behave like Windows 7. But that's just personal preference. I wouldn't keep using Windows 7 just for that reason

win10 taked too long to update when on it's mechanical drive and also longer booting time as well(if their HDD is very aged takes more and more longer as well),internet data(if ppl doesnt have unlimited data internet or very low internet speed to update win10) and most ppl. cant affored are SSD's,modern CPU,display port based monitor(what i discovered when i bought a very cheap monitor for my old rig but it's a VGA connector gud thing my HD7770 card supports the VGA port but maxed at 1028x728 and refresh rates is limited as well).
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(10-29-2020, 01:06 AM)smartstrike Wrote: win10 taked too long to update when on it's mechanical drive and also longer booting time as well,internet data(if ppl doesnt have unlimited data internet or very low internet speed) and most ppl. cant affored are SSD's,modern CPU,display port based monitor(what i discovered when i bought a very cheap monitor for my old rig but it's a VGA connector gud thing my HD7770 card supports the VGA port but maxed at 1028x728 and refresh rates is limited as well).

So your argument is that Windows 10 updates take to long?  It wasn't much better with Windows 7.  You just don't have to deal with the updates anymore and that puts you at risk.  You can always set a metered connection and just do the updates when you go to bed, or some other time that's convenient for you.  Sorry, but I think that's a weak argument to not upgrade
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
^
^
^
yes i been exprienced on my old PC doesnt have SSD and it took and hour to update(4 hours on major build update),it is on metered connection...i added a SATA-SSD to keep my old PC alive...my old HDD a decade old now.
and can't go back to older OSes since newest pcsx2 no longer support them.
in addition gaming platform like steam is no longer to run on win7.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(10-28-2020, 11:46 PM)jesalvein Wrote: unfortunately, many people can't read.
and they would still ask for support, because "they downloaded it from the main web site"
that support we couldn't provide anymore...

we could provide assistance with it, just like we, the members, do already. Also, you can take the link through layers, so there is no excuse for not knowing it is unsupported by the devs
(10-13-2020, 07:36 PM)blueclouds8666 Wrote: Hello PCSX2 community, i have been working on a big project for me these last months, and you're read it on the title: I've forked/modified the latest version of PCSX2, v1.6.0 released in May 2020, to make it work again under the Windows XP operating system, as the official support by the developers was dropped back in Mar 2016.

I still have intestest with Windows XP, so i started researching the code and to consider the options i had to make it compatible again. What i did is, modify first the older versions to make them work, and keep advancing to newer and newer versions until i reached the May 2020 version. Wasn't an easy task at all, as there was four years of development beween the two stable versions (v1.4.0 and v.1.6.0). Well to sum up, after lots of patience and dedication, i reached my goal. my v1.6.0 version is up and running perfectly fine under XP.

I've tried to make the code as original as possible, so only 23 commit reverts were done to recover the compatibility. Also, the DirectX side of GSDx had to go, as the dx9 renderer was long removed and dx11 isn't compatible with xp. I can tell you many more details about the development if this project is well received under this forum community. This project is not affiliated with the official PCSX2 developers, but i totally respect them and they are the ones to really credit for how an awesome emulator they're making.

The code is mainly available at github: https://github.com/blueclouds8666/pcsx2_XP
and also on my website: http://neonfloppy.sytes.net/projects/pcsx2-xp/

if you want to know about my future projects or are interested on xp/7 stuff, you may join our discord server: https://discord.gg/KXKXcs4
I hope you all like it.
[Image: screenshot.png]

I keep getting a "Failed to create a 2.0 context" error when I try to open an iso file on my external drive.:(

---

Signature