NFS Hot Pursuit 2 runaway RAM allocation
Bug 
Hello all. This is my first post here so I apologize in advance if I don't get everything right, but I have encountered a severe bug while playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (using PCSX2 version 1.4.0). The game runs perfectly with the recommended fix on the wiki here. However, whenever the "Busted" cutscene occurs, my entire PC totally freezes and I could do nothing but hard reset it with the power button.

Or so I thought.

I started up the game in DX9 hardware mode (was using DX11 hardware mode before) to see if the result would be different. I provoked the cutscene, and it did not freeze this time. Instead, it was extremely laggy (like <1 FPS). Curious, I switched it back to DX11 and provoked the cutscene again. This time, I noticed that the PC was not totally frozen, but rather was operating extremely slowly (just like in DX9 mode, except far worse).

I managed to tab out and open Task Manager, and noticed that my RAM usage was pegged near 100% (I have 16GB, so this is far from ordinary). Disk usage was also pegged at 100%, presumably because the system was using HDD space as an overflow for the "inadequate" amount of system memory.

I managed to kill PCSX2 in the Task Manager, and my PC slowly recovered to normal over a few minutes. I opened up Task Manager and Resource Manager on my second monitor and launched the game again, so I could easily take pictures when it happened again. I apologize for taking literal pictures instead of screenshots, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances. This is during normal operation of the game, and this is after the cutscene in question is triggered.

You can clearly see that the "Modified" memory meter has skyrocketed, yet no program is reporting abnormal memory usage. I do not know what modified memory is supposed to be, but something is clearly wrong.

I appreciate any help here. Let me know if you need any more information, or if you need me to do additional testing.

Sponsored links

Did you try OpenGL ? (with latest GIT build)
Invalid bug report, moving to support section
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-03-2017, 11:53 AM)gregory Wrote: Did you try OpenGL ? (with latest GIT build)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a GIT build; I downloaded PCSX2 only about a week ago, the latest stable version for Windows (1.4.0)

I did try it on OpenGL though, and the cutscene seems to work fine in that case. The game is quite a bit slower on OpenGL though, so I don't really want to continue playing on it.
(04-03-2017, 05:42 PM)SpartaL33t Wrote: I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a GIT build; I downloaded PCSX2 only about a week ago, the latest stable version for Windows (1.4.0)

I did try it on OpenGL though, and the cutscene seems to work fine in that case. The game is quite a bit slower on OpenGL though, so I don't really want to continue playing on it.

1.4 is the last stable build but gits are basically new, work in progress builds. They add fixes along the way. Download the PCSX2 version at the top of this list: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

btw Im well aware of the bug you speak of. It would always crash my PC too but the newer versions of PCSX2, it doesnt crash it anymore. The cut scene may not look right, but at least it doesnt have the memory bug that it used to...
(04-03-2017, 06:54 PM)someother1ne Wrote: btw Im well aware of the bug you speak of. It would always crash my PC too but the newer versions of PCSX2, it doesnt crash it anymore. The cut scene may not look right, but at least it doesnt have the memory bug that it used to...
Yes, it does.
(04-03-2017, 07:03 PM)SpartaL33t Wrote: Hello all. This is my first post here so I apologize in advance if I don't get everything right, but I have encountered a severe bug while playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (using PCSX2 version 1.4.0). The game runs perfectly with the recommended fix on the wiki here. However, whenever the "Busted" cutscene occurs, my entire PC totally freezes and I could do nothing but hard reset it with the power button.

Or so I thought.

I started up the game in DX9 hardware mode (was using DX11 hardware mode before) to see if the result would be different. I provoked the cutscene, and it did not freeze this time. Instead, it was extremely laggy (like <1 FPS). Curious, I switched it back to DX11 and provoked the cutscene again. This time, I noticed that the PC was not totally frozen, but rather was operating extremely slowly (just like in DX9 mode, except far worse).

I managed to tab out and open Task Manager, and noticed that my RAM usage was pegged near 100% (I have 16GB, so this is far from ordinary). Disk usage was also pegged at 100%, presumably because the system was using HDD space as an overflow for the "inadequate" amount of system memory.

I managed to kill PCSX2 in the Task Manager, and my PC slowly recovered to normal over a few minutes. I opened up Task Manager and Resource Manager on my second monitor and launched the game again, so I could easily take pictures when it happened again. I apologize for taking literal pictures instead of screenshots, but it was the best I could do under the circumstances. This is during normal operation of the game, and this is after the cutscene in question is triggered.

You can clearly see that the "Modified" memory meter has skyrocketed, yet no program is reporting abnormal memory usage. I do not know what modified memory is supposed to be, but something is clearly wrong.

I appreciate any help here. Let me know if you need any more information, or if you need me to do additional testing.

I remember that bug, it happened in older buils using 3X or greater resolution scaling. With 2 X worked fine. I did not try with recent builds, maybe with OGL works fine.
(04-04-2017, 08:30 PM)schiaritijc Wrote: I remember that bug, it happened in older buils using 3X or greater resolution scaling. With 2 X worked fine. I did not try with recent builds, maybe with OGL works fine.

Just set it back to 2x (I had it on 4x before) and it worked! Well, by "worked" I mean it didn't completely destroy my computer like last time; the cutscene is still extremely buggy and slow though.

I also downloaded today's dev build and got the same result, even on 4x resolution. EDIT: By this I mean that it works on the latest dev build at 4x scaling; the result is the same as using 2x scaling on the current build
(04-04-2017, 11:14 PM)SpartaL33t Wrote: Just set it back to 2x (I had it on 4x before) and it worked! Well, by "worked" I mean it didn't completely destroy my computer like last time; the cutscene is still extremely buggy and slow though.

I also downloaded today's dev build and got the same result, even on 4x resolution.

This seems to be a post processing problem or something like that. You can try with SKIPDRAW = 6 in HW Hacks section and maybe you can use 3x or 4x scaling, but some indicators of the game hud will be lost.