NTSC vs PAL
I have a lot of game from when I used to live in the US. I also have a few I imported from Japan. Now I live a country that has a bigger selection of PAL games (cheaper too).

Since I don't own a PS2 anymore (I do, it's just in pieces lol) I usually have to check a compatibility list before I buy a game. It's a hassle I tell ya!

Sometimes I find both the Pal and NTSC copies of the game, and they both are listed as working. In that case, usually I go for the NTSC version of the game, however when I do get the PAL version I wonder if the framerate is gonna be lower.

Anyone can enlighten me on this subject? Does it even matter since I'm emulating the game?

Also, does that same hold true for PS3 games (obviously not emulated tho)?

Sponsored links

Sometimes PAL better/playable ,sometimes US ,sometimes J
Pal not lower its just 50 Smile Movie 23.97 but nobody saying its slow.
doesnt matter, the vps will be 50 on pal games 60 on ntsc games but the framerate of the games themselfs arent lower, not matter what plaform.
It is lengthy to explain everything. In short, avoid PAL like a plague.

Exception: Shadow of the Colossus, as the PAL version contains bonus material, and it also has 50/60 Hz selector, so you can switch to NTSC mode whenever you want to.
(01-27-2013, 06:29 PM)Livy Wrote: It is lengthy to explain everything. In short, avoid PAL like a plague.
Exception: Shadow of the Colossus, as the PAL version contains bonus material, and it also has 50/60 Hz selector, so you can switch to NTSC mode whenever you want to.
Sorry for disappointing you but human eye cant see anything higher than 24 ,this why movie 23.97 Smile
(01-27-2013, 06:43 PM)oOCrazyGamerOo Wrote: Sorry for disappointing you but human eye cant see anything higher than 24 ,this why movie 23.97 Smile

I beg to differ CrazyGamer, 24 Hz vs. 50 or 60 Hz is very different. You can try 24 Hz on your monitor, if it supports it. There is a big difference.
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE OC 4.0 GHz, Corsair Hydro H70
AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's
Many games for PC and consoles locked to 30 ,videos on YouTube also.
Nobody saying all this slow.
Monitor refresh rate do nothing with this.
Finally this thread very strange,kinda bait attempt.
Is it me, or does NTSC games look like they have higher res ?
NTSC games are 480 while PAL is 574, so you would think that PAL have the highest res...
NTSC is also 60 Hz while PAL is 50, so that must be why, I guess.
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE OC 4.0 GHz, Corsair Hydro H70
AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's
So you already used PCSX2 or not?If yes why so many questions?
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-been-away...#pid152906

(01-27-2013, 07:15 PM)ps2freak Wrote: Is it me, or does NTSC games look like they have higher res ?
NTSC games are 480 while PAL is 574, so you would think that PAL have the highest res...
NTSC is also 60 Hz while PAL is 50, so that must be why, I guess.
forget it Smile
The eternal confusion of FPS with the image being shown. For example a still image is yet still does not matter if sampled at 30 or 300 FPS.

What dictates the standard on PS2 is just the local TV system for the console must be compliant with it.

I see many people stating "fake FPS" when referring to that kind of lag or slow motion cause by certain speed hacks, actually the FPS is not fake, just the image changing is bellow what it should, the FPS is that displayed indeed.

On actual movie in film the image is fixed in each frame, so any change in FPS directly affects the motion pace. For being tied with TV standard, PS2 inherits that characteristic of the image being tied with the frame and so if the FPS changes so changes the pace of motion.

On PC the events are synchronized by real time, where in the console an object takes 600 frames to get from point A to point B (what means it will take 10 seconds in NTSC standard 60 FPS) on the PC the same object is to get there in 10 seconds does not matter (at certain extent) how many times the frames are displayed per second.

Resuming to at this point: in the console the FPS affects the time the event happens (roughly translated by slow or fast motion depending on the offset). In the PC the FPS affects the length of each step the object moves at each frame, meaning higher FPS is translated by better accuracy, the reason high FPS is so important in shooting games.

Now in PCSX2 things becomes a lot more complex because the speedhacks break with that simplified notion and the image is not so bound to the frame as it was originally anymore, hence the "fake FPS" whick are real FPS despite lagging. Still, since many events are synchronized by frames in PS2, that fake FPS may be better than raw low FPS, depending on the game, of course, because something else may break as well.

All this can be reduced to: The frame is just it, the frame where the image is painted in a "canvas", if in a film the image and the frame might be seen indistinguishable, that is not true on the PC where the actual image to be drawn in each frame is not predefined.
Imagination is where we are truly real