Native Mac Testing Build
MacOS support is now official!  If you have a Metal-supporting Mac, please use a nightly build from the main project.

If your Mac does not support Metal (all Macs on 10.14 or later support Metal), you can download an older testing release from the "all builds and changelog" section below.  32-bit builds are compatible with macOS 10.9 - 10.14, while 64-bit builds are compatible with macOS 10.13 and up.

If you're on an M1 or Intel Skylake+ iGPU, go into graphics settings and set the blending accuracy to Ultra.  If you notice any performance difference compared to Basic, please post about it here (again, M1/Skylake+ only).

If you're using the Metal or Vulkan renderers, set Texture Preloading to Full in graphics settings.  It may help OpenGL as well, though to a lesser degree.

Source Code

Known Issues
  • The Onepad controller mapping GUI is for keyboards only.  If you're using a game controller, launch a game and see if it works.  If not, use this tool to create a new controller mapping, open ~/Library/Application Support/PCSX2/inis/PAD.ini, and add SDL2 = mapping to the end of it (where mapping is the one generated earlier).  If you'd like, you can make a PR with your mapping here and it will be included in a future version of PCSX2.
If you have any issues that aren't listed above, please report them here

All Builds and Changelog:

2022-04-10 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Keyboard shortcuts work!
  • Keyboard input no longer controls PCSX2 while in the background
  • Updated to latest PCSX2 master with all the improvements that provides
2022-03-25 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixed frame rate issues in the Metal renderer
  • Fix crash when pausing with controllers connected
2022-03-21 64-bit (Changes don't affect the 32-bit build)
  • Fix primid destination alpha test
  • Improved performance for AMD
  • Improved frame rate stability
  • Fix texture replacement loading
2022-03-02 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Skylake framebuffer fetch support
  • Fix FXAA shader to not make bad_shader.txt files
  • FXAA and shadeboost support for Metal
  • Update to latest PCSX2 for texture replacement and full texture preloading
2022-02-10 64-bit (Changes don't affect the 32-bit build)
  • Fix crash on texture download in the Metal renderer
  • Fix issue with massive points on M1 GPUs in the Metal renderer
  • Mostly fix issues with broken depth on newer (Broadwell+) Intel GPUs.  Please report if you find a game that still experiences issues.
2022-02-07 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Adds framebuffer support for M1 Macs (Ultra blending accuracy is just as fast as any other option)
  • Various fixes to the Metal renderer. Hopefully now with less blending issues
  • Added better accurate destination alpha test to the Metal renderer. Performance should no longer be terrible in GT4 on AMD GPUs
  • Update to wxWidgets 3.1 (provides better dark mode and hidpi monitor support)
  • Updated to latest PCSX2 master with all the improvements that provides
2022-01-25 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixes a number of graphical glitches in the Metal renderer (alpha test, colclip, and AEM)
  • Improves Metal renderer performance on AMD GPUs
2022-01-07 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixes crash on startup on Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Fixes crash on texture download
2021-12-26 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixes an issue in Metal where rendering was very broken on M1 GPUs
2021-12-25 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Added Metal renderer
  • Better rumble support
  • Better controller support (should support all controllers supported by Safari)
2021-11-21 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixed crashes with Intel drivers in OpenGL renderer
  • Less broken depth effects in OpenGL renderer
  • Added option to disable multithreaded OpenGL engine (it was crashing in some drivers)
  • Update to latest upstream (much better performance for Intel and AMD GPUs)
2021-10-23 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixed some rendering issues in the software renderer
  • Updated to SDL 2.0.16 (should fix xbox controllers)
  • Enabled multithreaded GL engine (should improve games that were previously bound by the GS thread)
  • Fixes aspect ratio in fullscreen
2021-03-27 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixes crash in SW renderer on AVX2
  • Fixes texture wrapping in SW renderer
  • Adds CHD support with async loading
  • Fixes save state loading
2021-03-06 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixes onepad configuration freezes
  • Upgrades SDL for fixed controller support on M1 Macs
  • Fixes crash in SW renderer on M1 and Nehalem Macs
2021-02-03 32-Bit 64-Bit
  • Adds localizations (Note: some strings aren't localized due to this not being based of a mainline release)
  • Adds GameDB (Makes game-specific hacks work properly)
  • Moves PCSX2 directory to ~/Library/Application Support
  • Fixes 10.9 support (Note: this may also be the last build with 10.9 support)
  • Fixes SW renderer on M1 macs (and macs from before 2011 running the 64-bit binary)
2020-07-27 32-Bit 64-Bit
  • Fix crashes with MTVU
  • Fix Onepad configuration of A key
2020-07-19 64-Bit
  • Fix crash in GSdx software renderer on 64-bit builds
2020-07-15 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Slightly better chance of working on macOS 10.9
  • Added 64-bit build
2020-06-09
  • Fixes content resize on window resize
  • Should actually run on macOS 10.9
2020-06-01
  • Fixes z-fighting in textures
  • Fixes crash when 5 or more ISOs were in the recents list
  • Improves compatibility with macOS 10.9
2020-05-24
  • Fixes textures glitching out in the HW renderer
2020-05-18
  • Fixes issue with GSdx plugin reloading
  • Fixes an issue with OpenGL HW renderer
2020-05-16
  • First release

Sponsored links

aaaaaaaaaaand here's my main account I just regained access to after a password reset. lol

(05-17-2020, 05:27 AM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: I've been working on getting PCSX2 building on macOS, and a number of people have asked for a build, so here it is:

https://mega.nz/file/aNshwCSZ#VK49QMcGIO...uyYN3nJvGs

Known Issues
  • The build is 32-bit and will not run on Catalina
  • The OpenGL HW renderer is kind of glitchy.  Use the SW renderer for now
If you have any issues that aren't listed above, please report them here

Awesome sauce! I'll try it out later / tomorrow!
Will you be building 1.6? 1.6 fixed the black eyes bug in the Jak games, which I want to play. I'd be more than happy to test if you do a 1.6 build.
(05-20-2020, 06:48 AM)Quenz Wrote: Will you be building 1.6? 1.6 fixed the black eyes bug in the Jak games, which I want to play. I'd be more than happy to test if you do a 1.6 build.

Have you tried the build?  It's up to date with the master branch as of Apr 8 so it should have those fixes.  I used the number from git describe so I think the name is wrong because the 1.6 rc has a few commits that the master branch doesn't so it went with the next most recent which was 1.5.0-dev
(05-22-2020, 06:08 AM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: Have you tried the build?  It's up to date with the master branch as of Apr 8 so it should have those fixes.  I used the number from git describe so I think the name is wrong because the 1.6 rc has a few commits that the master branch doesn't so it went with the next most recent which was 1.5.0-dev

I've tried it. The eyes are fine at the very start, but after a few seconds glitch out.

Main screen and actual gameplay don't look too happy either.

Above screenshots are with hardware rendering. PCSX2 crashes if I try to boot the game with the software renderer, and with hardware rendering, the BIOS menus also have a bunch of visual glitches that make it unusable.

I don't know whether these are just general bugs with PCSX2, or just with your build, or if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's my hardware. I do remember last time I tried this game (years ago, on Windows via bootcamp) my computer did run hot, but the game was mostly fine aside from the black eye glitch.

My specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB / Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

(AMD GPU was running while testing the game)

Are there any logs I can give you that would help at all?
(05-22-2020, 11:30 AM)Quenz Wrote: Are there any logs I can give you that would help at all?
Hmm I would guess that's all related to the macOS build
Not sure if there's any logs that would help with the visual glitching, but if you could reproduce the software renderer crash and then send the files in ~/PCSX2/logs that might help

Edit: I installed Mojave on an external drive for testing, and things seem to be mostly working fine with slight issues in the HW renderer, however I'm on an Nvidia GPU (750M) and with the AMD GPU computer I tested (6770M) the HW renderer was completely messed up so maybe it's related to the macOS AMD drivers.  I couldn't reproduce any crashes with the software renderer though (and it looked fine).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-22-2020, 11:24 PM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: if you could reproduce the software renderer crash and then send the files in ~/PCSX2/logs that might help

Here you are. The other logs (dev8null.log, FWnull.log, USBnull.log) are empty, and padLog.txt simply contains "PADinit"
First of all, a big thank you! I've been periodically checking the PCSX2 site for a modern Mac version and it's great to see progress!

(05-17-2020, 05:27 AM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: Textures glitch out in the HW renderer on 10.12 with a Radeon HD 6770M but work fine on 10.15 with a GT 750M.  If you have the chance, please test and report your OS+GPU combination and whether it worked for you.

I tried Half-Life (PAL) and got black triangles as shown in the attached screenshot. Is that the sort of glitching you're referring to? OS 10.13.6 with a GTX 960 (using NVidia's drivers, as this isn't an Apple-supplied card).

I also tried Final Fantasy XII International (NTSC J) and didn't notice any graphical issues, although I only played for a few minutes. Bizarrely it played the wrong FMV though!

Dragon Quest (PAL) has some glitches during the intro, and then gives an almost completely black screen for actual gameplay (you can see the grass moving under your feet as you move around, but nothing else).

Final Fantasy X (PAL) has a few glitches too. The opening logos jump up and down a bit, and there are some weird issues with 2D sprites (textures?) appearing when they shouldn't. The opening cinematic freezes for a couple of seconds when it should fade from one shot to the next.

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (NTSC J) crashes immediately. [Edit: On the surface, this appears to be the same problem I describe in the next post.]

I want to make it clear that none of these are criticisms; I'm sure that PCSX2 is hideously complex and I appreciate that it'll take a lot of work to get something 'perfect'.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just to keep you on your toes, here's an interesting one:

I originally had my game images sitting on my desktop. Using 'Boot ISO (fast)', I could select an image and it'd run. Then I tidied things up a bit, and put the images on a different drive. Now when I select an image, PCSX2 immediately crashes (report attached). If I move them back to the desktop then they work again.

The full path to the images is /Volumes/Data/PS2 Games. I thought it might be the space, but removing it didn't help. I also wondered whether it might be the path length, but running from the root of /Volumes/Data also crashes. My desktop is on an APFS drive while Data is HFS+.

Any ideas what's causing this one?

Edit: Forgot to say that there's nothing added to emuLog.txt; it has the usual startup stuff up to 'plugins loaded successfully' but nothing else.

Edit #2: I did 'reset all settings' (or whatever it's called) and it's working now... including Kingdom Hearts! Strange, but resolved.
Me again... I tried the software renderer. No crashes, and the glitches I mentioned above don't seem to occur. I haven't re-tried all the same games, but it's looking very promising! Thanks again Smile

With that said... is there a fullscreen option that I haven't discovered yet, or is that still on the to-do list?