Native Windows Bluetooth drivers for PlayStation 3 Peripherals
Update: release is live, enjoy!

Ahoi, fellow gamers! I have resurfaced, be very afraid! Biggrin

I've been hiding even beyond the depths of hell to come up with something spicy (well, in my opinion at least), a truly native Bluetooth driver for the PS3 DualShock/Navigation/Motion controller family. Meaning that, unlike SCP, the original Microsoft/Intel/Toshiba/Blyatsoft drivers can be kept in place and the PS3 peripherals can be used together in harmony with your Bluetooth keyboards, mice, headsets and whatnot. Oh, and the aftermarket ones work as well.

I invite anybody brave (or bored) enough to read through my, err, research notes/rambling/collection of terrible puns in this ongoing forum thread (disclaimer, my forum, not associated).

Now before anybody gets overwhelmed by the shier amount of information there I've picked out a few informative posts containing demonstration videos and bits and pieces of general interest:

Early working example demonstrating exposure of DS3 and Nav as X360 devices

Terrible gameplay live test including my voiceover (be very afraid)

Showcasing stability and performance and my ability to not record with a fixed camera focus

Somewhat recent status update on whats happening

I also have ideas and code prepared to go full drivers-only, no SCP-like application required and native PCSX2/LilyPad compatibility including pressure sensitive button exposure. That's not part of the thread though, one step at a time Tongue

My motivation of posting here? Uh, maybe there still are fans of the PS3 peripherals beside me and a need to finally take monoliths like SCP to the grave.

Cheers!

Sponsored links

Very excited about this.  Will this work with bluetooth adapter?  Does it support both DS3 and DS4?
This works with basically any Bluetooth host device like Intel integrated combo-cards, your general purpose nano USB dongles etc.

Yes, both DS3 and DS4 can live side by side in harmony.
Thank you for your hard work! I used SCP on a regular basis with a fake PS3 controller and it works perfectly, but I always wanted not to lose my bluetooth connectivity since I have a mouse and keyboard which I use with a separate dongle that I had to buy. So please let me know if you need for me to test anything with my controller and I will be glad to help you. I also have an IPEGA 9077 bluetooth controller in case you need aditional testing.

Cheers!
I can't wait nefarious! You're amazing!!! But tell me the touchpad of the ds4 is supported right ? We can shut off the light bar ? Please tell me yes! O_O
(08-22-2019, 03:33 PM)luke76bg Wrote: I can't wait nefarious! You're amazing!!! But tell me touchpad of the ds4 is supported right ? We can shut off the light bar ? Please tell me yes! O_O

Yes and yes, the driver actually only has to take care about the connection and shifting packets back and forth, what goes over the wire, err, air doesn't really matter Biggrin
(08-22-2019, 07:27 PM)Nefarius Wrote: Yes and yes, the driver actually only has to take care about the connection and shifting packets back and forth, what goes over the wire, err, air doesn't really matter Biggrin

Oh my i can't wait! I can hope that maybe,  later after the first release, there will be a buttons mapper, autofire, something like this ? You had started to create something like this for the scp toolkit (that i'm using) but it was remained unfinished!
(08-23-2019, 12:54 AM)luke76bg Wrote: Oh my i can't wait! I can hope that maybe,  later after the first release, there will be a buttons mapper, autofire, something like this ? You had started to create something like this for the scp toolkit (that i'm using) but it was remained unfinished!

Well, I'm not particularly fond of that, I'd like to stick to the low level stuff as that's most fun for me and literally nobody else has done. For that higher level stuff of input transformation I'm always open for letting someone hop on the development train. There's limited capacity on what I can and am willing to do on my own so I don't make any promises. The possibility is given though, the difficult parts have been solved Cool

Cheers
I may just have to go dig my old DS3 out of my box of random computer stuff again and see if it still works... I stopped using it (and SCP toolkit) because the pressure sensitivity didn't seem to play nicely with Ace Combat 7 on Steam. I've been using an Xbox One Bluetooth controller for awhile now but I'd still prefer to use the DS3 if it would work properly. Thanks for all of the time and effort you put in on this new project and I'm looking forward to its release.
The Mini(ITX) Box V2 a.k.a. Nighthawk
Ryzen 7 3700X | 16GB DDR4-3600 CL16 | ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming | EVGA GTX 1660Ti SC Ultra Gaming | Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | EVGA 600BQ
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
This is extremely interesting specially since the ds3 is the controller I use the most with all my games. I'm still using SCP (never had much trouble with it though) but an alternative without compatibility issues is always welcome.

On the ds4 side, do you think it would be possible (at the driver level) to have the controller identified as a ds4 over bluetooth instead of only while connect through a usb cable? It's kinda annoying having a wireless controller plugged in just to have proper ds4 button prompts on the steam games that support it for example.

Cheers