Need advise on buying a new PC for FFX-2
Don't buy something as expensive as a PC just for one game or thing. 2 years ago when I first got my laptop all I cared about was using it for school and playing Elder Scrolls oblivion. The minimum requirements for Oblivion are a 2 Ghz Pentium I believe. Instead of getting a pentium I spent extra for a core 2 duo and definitely made the right choice. If I had went with the Pentium i would still be on this message board but instead of posting how I can get a lot (not all, especially Metal Gear 3) of my games running full speed with speed hacks I would instead be posting about how I can't wait to get a new computer and how awesome you guys are.

That said if money is not a problem go with an i7 CPU and any graphics card that supports DirectX10.

Sponsored links

(08-05-2009, 02:04 PM)Sythedragon Wrote:
(08-05-2009, 12:51 AM)nasageek Wrote: Any processor that can go 3.4+ will run just about any ps2 game on PCSX2. If you can afford the i7 definitely go for it.

ORLY?... So a P4 at 3.4GHZ would work as good as a C2D at 3GHZ? No.

Any current processor. Why would I be referring to a P4 when they are not even sold anymore.
(08-05-2009, 12:51 AM)nasageek Wrote: Any processor that can go 3.4+ will run just about any ps2 game on PCSX2. If you can afford the i7 definitely go for it.
Oops, Actually in my way a 4GHz+ 45nm Core2 Duo will never be a bottleneck or shortcoming. Gotta overclock my E7200 to 4GHz to play opening FMV of Super Robot Wars Z at 60FPS once on PCSX2 0.95

I bought the rig in my signature last year, only just for playing PS2. I heard PCSX2 require 3GHz CPU at least to get along with, thus I purchased E7200 for overclocking to 3.8GHz I've seen before then. Also heard 8600GT is the minimal requirement for Video Card, thus I just purchased 8600GT. Didn't heard special notes for other hardwares so I merely bought orthodox ones.

One year went by since then, I think my rig still adequate to PCSX2 with speed hacks.

It's safe to choose NVIDIA cards for PCSX2.
durable PC since 2008
CPU : E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 1.04 V / OC 3.7 GHz 1.36 V (390*9.5, 4GB DDR2 780)
GPU : 8600GT (GDDR3, 256 MB) / OC (750 / 900)
BOARD : GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1.0) broken and bought a second hand one replaced
PSU : 300 W
Sorry for bumping this, but I recently saw a review of the new i7 mobile processor Core i7-820QM. (http://www.benyouhui.com/viewthread.php?...ra=&page=2) While playing FF-X, two cores were Turbo-Boosted to 2.8GHz. It was smooth in most of the scenes (60 fps), but fps occasionally drops down below 30 fps in combats.

Could someone please tell the minimum requirement (threshold) on CPU FREQUENCY for an absolutely smooth play (60 fps) of FFX and FFX-2? I am still not sure whether I should wait for the upcoming i9 next year. (The frequency of current i7 is kind too low, and for specific reasons I don't want to OC it...)

Really appreciate! Cool

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You should be getting full speed but that pic shows a GPU related slowdown, tick the "native" checkbox in GSdx or use a lower internal resolution and it should be ok.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(11-03-2009, 06:50 PM)sniper_sung Wrote: Sorry for bumping this, but I recently saw a review of the new i7 mobile processor Core i7-820QM. (http://www.benyouhui.com/viewthread.php?...ra=&page=2)

good god - there's kanji letters all over the place - don't tell me you can read that stuff - i have NO idea what they are talking about

and why a new PC - JUST - for Final Fantasy - i mean - buying a new PC is never a bad idea but you can get a pre-owned PS2 for about 30 - 50 € at game stop if you don't already have one - a new PC for 300 - 500 € -JUST- for playing PS2 games seems a bit much compared to a new playstation wich does the job better while you only need to spend 1 tenth of that money
my comp:
Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33Ghz
Vista Ultimate x86 / 2GB RAM
GeForce 8600 / 256MB VRAM
Umino: That's not kanji, it's only kanji if it's Japanese. That's Chinese, most likely mandarin, though there is always a chance I'm mistaken.

I made a statement in another thread... and I'll make it again here... Never buy a PC for a single thing. Why? Because technology gets outdated fast... and prices on hardware drop fast... If you instead wait till there are several things you want to do and currently can't you're much more likely to either A: Get a better deal, or B: get a much better upgrade and thereby preventing you from having to do your next update as fast and you end up saving money overall.
[Image: 2748844.png]
IMO, if he's buying a PC with the goal of being able to run PCSX2 at its best, he's pretty much set. Since PCSX2 needs a high end PC. He'll be able to run almost every other emulator from the past and majority of the current gen games. Other applications are a given.

Now, if he's just buyin a PC for MSoffice purposes, it will be a different story.
[Image: 813647.png]
+ geforce GT 440 @ Win7 64bit