Need help buying new pc that can run pcsx2
Hi, I'm looking into buying a new pc and was wondering if anyone had any good choices that are able to play pcsx2 well. I'm mostly looking for something that can play Final Fantasy X at 60fps. My current pc is pretty old and slow but It can still play ffx usually at around 30-50fps (but it can drop low as 10fps at some points). My budget is about $500 but I would prefer something under $400 if possible. Thanks.

Sponsored links

As your budget is limited, I recommend AMD build. The CPU speed is weak, but you gain some GPU power.

1. AMD A4-5300 with 7480D GPU ($60)
  2. Some kinda FM2 socket motherboard ($70)
  3. 4 GiB of RAM ($20)
  4. 500 GB HDD ($70)
  5. A cheap PSU ($30)
  6. A cheap DVD optical drive ($15)
  7. A cheap case ($20)
  8. Any casual monitor ($110)
  9. Keyboard and mouse ($20)

That's all you need for a $400 build. If you can bear with native resolution and intend to add a dedicated graphics card later, go with an Ivy Bridge Pentium.
(02-14-2013, 11:33 AM)Livy Wrote: As your budget is limited, I recommend AMD build. The CPU speed is weak, but you gain some GPU power.

1. AMD A4-5300 with 7480D GPU ($60)
  2. Some kinda FM2 socket motherboard ($70)
  3. 4 GiB of RAM ($20)
  4. 500 GB HDD ($70)
  5. A cheap PSU ($30)
  6. A cheap DVD optical drive ($15)
  7. A cheap case ($20)
  8. Any casual monitor ($110)
  9. Keyboard and mouse ($20)

That's all you need for a $400 build. If you can bear with native resolution and intend to add a dedicated graphics card later, go with an Ivy Bridge Pentium.

Thanks for the reply. Would pcsx2 even run without the dedicated graphics card? Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm looking for something that's already pre-built, and also I don't need a monitor.
(02-14-2013, 12:19 PM)SixiK Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Would pcsx2 even run without the dedicated graphics card? Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm looking for something that's already pre-built, and also I don't need a monitor.

500 bucks for a prebuilt system won't include a good cpu and gpu deal. Either choose a good gpu with a lower grade cpu (amd apu series) or a stronger cpu with integrated graphics.
(02-14-2013, 01:04 PM)Barack Obama Wrote: 500 bucks for a prebuilt system won't include a good cpu and gpu deal. Either choose a good gpu with a lower grade cpu (amd apu series) or a stronger cpu with integrated graphics.

Okay thanks. How does pcsx2 run with integrated graphics if it has a good cpu?
The APU is a great route for cheap, native resolution gaming/emulating. I recommend the A8-5600k (or A10) as my other rig with the APU benched decently in the FFX-2 benchmark challenge. You wold not need a dedicated GPU till a later time.
If this still too much a socket FM1 A8-3870k APU is decent and you may find some good deals in the market out there as AMD went a little too crazy on the overstocking in my area where I live. Here are 2 computers ready made.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883256202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883229398

This was as close as I could get. Keep in mind you are paying a hefty premium due to the labor used to assemble these systems, which is easily a do-it-yourself job. Also, I prefer to never buy a pre-installed OS. I own my own disk, so why would I waste my money paying a premium for an OS installed that I don't need? Plus, ready-made systems always tend to give you good parts here and rip you off somewhere else, such as the PSU. I'm surprised anybody even makes a PSU < 400 watts anymore...
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(02-14-2013, 01:44 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: The APU is a great route for cheap, native resolution gaming/emulating. I recommend the A8-5600k (or A10) as my other rig with the APU benched decently in the FFX-2 benchmark challenge. You wold not need a dedicated GPU till a later time.
If this still too much a socket FM1 A8-3870k APU is decent and you may find some good deals in the market out there as AMD went a little too crazy on the overstocking in my area where I live. Here are 2 computers ready made.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883256202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883229398

This was as close as I could get. Keep in mind you are paying a hefty premium due to the labor used to assemble these systems, which is easily a do-it-yourself job. Also, I prefer to never buy a pre-installed OS. I own my own disk, so why would I waste my money paying a premium for an OS installed that I don't need? Plus, ready-made systems always tend to give you good parts here and rip you off somewhere else, such as the PSU. I'm surprised anybody even makes a PSU < 400 watts anymore...

Okay thanks a lot. Smile
I was wondering if this one would run pcsx2 pretty good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883227456
Zambezi aka bulldozer is as slow as 5 year old architecture, total waste of money and the "dedicated gpu" in that set is lowest of it's series, probably slower than many new integrated ones now.
In other words no it wouldn't run pcsx2 too nicely(nor anything else;p).

Better get a piledriver apu like recommended by others very nice stuff for low budget, APU is basically cpu with a mid range radeon hd in one with only downside that it's graphic speed depends alot on your system ram speed, still much better choice than low end dedicated gpu's and anything is better than Zambezi cpu's(doesn't damn matter how many cores it has).
Prebuilt PCs are always more expensive than building one of your own. The A4-5300 I said above is a Piledriver one. Its processing power is no match for an Ivy Bridge Celeron, but the GPU is enough for FFX at 2x resolution. Excluding the monitor and you'll only spend $300 for it.

You can always switch to Intel if you accept native resolution and plan to add a dedicated graphics card later.