Need help choosing a laptop that will be able to flawlessly emulate most titles.
Hey guys!

So, I'm off to uni and will be in the market for a gaming laptop. Due to the fact that I'll be studying I won't be able to build a desktop.

I will need the laptop to be able to flawlessly run most titles on ps2 at max settings (even at 4k, I might get a monitor). 

Now I am mainly between 2 choices, but if you have something in mind, you're welcome to suggest Smile

The first one :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-gt72-...29-ms.html

This one has the best single thread performance along with a desktop grade 980. 

The second one :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-gt72-...23-ms.html

This one sports the 980m, from what I am aware, it has quite a difference to the desktop one when it comes to pc gaming, so I'm not sure.

The third one :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-gt80s...31-ms.html

980m's in SLI but single thread performance is at 1700~ish.

The fourth one :

[Image: lAnmn4T.png?1]

I am confident all of these will be able to run pc games at max settings (maybe the 980m will have very minor issues with some games) but I'm heavily interested in emulation too.

Thanks Smile

Sponsored links

I'd go for the first or second one. Whichever suits your budget. Just remember the first one will kill your battery life even more than the second, which is already power hungry.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(01-08-2016, 07:12 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: I'd go for the first or second one. Whichever suits your budget. Just remember the first one will kill your battery life even more than the second, which is already power hungry.

I really wanna go for the first one since it does have the best of both worlds but its price is really pushing the limits.

Do you think the difference between the 2x 980m's and the one desktop 980 is negligible when it will come to current and future titles?
(01-08-2016, 07:25 PM)marios50 Wrote: I really wanna go for the first one since it does have the best of both worlds but its price is really pushing the limits.

Do you think the difference between the 2x 980m's and the one desktop 980 is negligible when it will come to current and future titles?

yeah, the difference shouldn't be too great. PCSX2 HATES SLI though, so just remember to disable it if possible. The first one would be my vote, if the price isn't too much. If not, then I'd get the second. Also, if you want VR, you'll need a desktop GPU.
(01-08-2016, 07:27 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: yeah, the difference shouldn't be too great. PCSX2 HATES SLI though, so just remember to disable it if possible. The first one would be my vote, if the price isn't too much. If not, then I'd get the second. Also, if you want VR, you'll need a desktop GPU.

Yeah I guess I want to be future proof with VR. The 1st one should be able to handle everything for a while right? Tongue
(01-08-2016, 07:43 PM)marios50 Wrote: Yeah I guess I want to be future proof with VR. The 1st one should be able to handle everything for a while right? Tongue

Yeah, that should do well for quite a while.
The second and third have bigger batteries, and VR should in theory benefit greatly from SLI. I'd say get the third and just turn SLI off for PCSX2.
(01-09-2016, 07:29 AM)dogen Wrote: The second and third have bigger batteries, and VR should in theory benefit greatly from SLI. I'd say get the third and just turn SLI off for PCSX2.

The processor in the third one ranks 1700 in single thread, would that affect pcsx2 performance? I thought it should be closer or over 2000 to emulate flawlessly.
(01-09-2016, 09:30 PM)marios50 Wrote: The processor in the third one ranks 1700 in single thread, would that affect pcsx2 performance? I thought it should be closer or over 2000 to emulate flawlessly.

Right. The first should be faster for pcsx2.
(01-10-2016, 06:51 AM)dogen Wrote: Right. The first should be faster for pcsx2.

Alright, I think I have found the sweet spot.

[Image: lAnmn4T.png?1]

If i disable SLI and use the one GTX 980M, that would be enough to render in 4k for pcsx2 right?