Need help with SH: Shattered Memories
Hi, all.

I'm running a pretty old machine, it's Core 2 Duo 2.7, GeForce GTS 250 1Gb, 4gb RAM, Windows 7 32-bit.

My problem is simple: the game runs slowly (not stuttering, everything is just slowed down about twice). I tried emulating the game on Nintendo Wii emulator dolphin, and there it worked much better, but the controls were too frustrating, plus the bugs with lighting were too horrible to bear.

I'm using the current latest version of the emulator, and I tried lots of plugins, but ZeroGS KOSMOS sse2 seemed like the best choice. Of course, I thought that my computer may be too slow, but considering that I can run Wii games at acceptable speed and Gamecube games at perfect speed I'm not sure. The weirdest thing is that the game is always slow, I can set the very lowest settings without all the effects and with speedhacks, or the highest possible settings -- and it doesn't affect the performance at all. I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe something specific Windows 7-related.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

get the new version
http://pcsx2.net/svn.php

*and why you still using Z-GS KOSMOS??
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(04-20-2012, 06:04 AM)tallbender Wrote: get the new version
http://pcsx2.net/svn.php

*and why you still using Z-GS KOSMOS??

I already AM using the newest version (0.9.8). I was using Kosmos because it seemed pretty good, but I tried others too, e.g. GSdx 4404 0.1.16, but it worked just as bad. AFAIK this emulator should work decently on Core 2 Duo, but it doesn't for me. The only thing I've achieved so far is I was finally able to slow it down even more by trying software video mode (it helped with a buggy background though). Nothing seems to make it faster, however.
If you bothered to check the link, the SVN revisions are 0.9.9, newer than what you currently use.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-20-2012, 11:45 AM)Bositman Wrote: If you bothered to check the link, the SVN revisions are 0.9.9, newer than what you currently use.

I did bother. It didn't change anything, except that hardware video mode now looks even more glitched than before. No improvements in FPS. And I'm amazed to find that graphics looks even worse than in Wii emulator...
(04-20-2012, 03:05 PM)Kylljoi Wrote: I did bother. It didn't change anything, except that hardware video mode now looks even more glitched than before. No improvements in FPS. And I'm amazed to find that graphics looks even worse than in Wii emulator...

I was not able to run the game in hardware mode, because the annoying light-shadow buggy..so i played almost perfectly in D3D Software mode,

I don't remember well, but I think I got fps 60 in 99% of the gameplay..

What I can say the problem is your processor, I have I5 2500k (stock speed) I could hardly play it
(04-20-2012, 11:36 PM)elkolodj Wrote: I was not able to run the game in hardware mode, because the annoying light-shadow buggy..so i played almost perfectly in D3D Software mode,

I don't remember well, but I think I got fps 60 in 99% of the gameplay..

What I can say the problem is your processor, I have I5 2500k (stock speed) I could hardly play it

Well, I thought so, but it's funny that most guides claim that running the emulator on Core 2 Duo should provide acceptable speed. Also, it's weird for me that Wii emulation works better on my computer, even though Wii is supposed to be a more powerful console than PS2.
Guides assume you use hardware mode, this is a special case that needs software mode thus needs way more CPU power than normally. Console power plays a role but it's mainly the radical architecture the PS2 uses which is nothing like a PC that makes emulation so complex. And the Wii is comparable to the PS2 in terms of power.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-21-2012, 04:49 PM)Bositman Wrote: Guides assume you use hardware mode, this is a special case that needs software mode thus needs way more CPU power than normally. Console power plays a role but it's mainly the radical architecture the PS2 uses which is nothing like a PC that makes emulation so complex. And the Wii is comparable to the PS2 in terms of power.

Be that as it may, all the problems I described in the first post occured in hardware mode. I only tried software mode to see the visual difference, but mostly I tried to use hardware mode and the game worked very very slowly.