Need to fully restart the program to get good performance?
Hi people,
just curious...
If I play around with Gsdx setting while a game is running on the background (tried with Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 3, and Snake Eater)...every time I revert to whatever the original setting that I started with (the one that gives me good performance), why the performance somehow decreases? (around 10-20 fps...sometimes more)

So basically like this: (PCSX2 Rev 5492 btw)
1) start a game (e.g.: Haunting Ground)
2) Getting good performance with custom res 1600x900
3) open up gsdx config and mess around with it see if I can crank up the res
4) massive slow-down, then revert to my default 1600x900
5) revert to my original 1600x900 but lost around 10-20 fps??

I can only get a good 1600x900 if I quit the program and run the exe again.

Sorry not too sure if this has already been discussed before...
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB

Sponsored links

to answer your question: Need to fully restart the program to get good performance?

no, no you dont.
I have never seen that. Works fine here. Maybe just a particular game?
You have a laptop yeah, soo well, when you "crank up res as much as you can" you basically overheat that flatchested case in which it's all packed, hence it limits itself for a while to let temperature downTongue.
Buying a cooling pad could help you, but generally laptops aren't made to keep their full performance for too long soo overheating is always a problem when you're trying heavy stuff like emulators.
(02-02-2013, 05:06 PM)miseru99 Wrote: You have a laptop yeah, soo well, when you "crank up res as much as you can" you basically overheat that flatchested case in which it's all packed, hence it limits itself for a while to let temperature downTongue.
Buying a cooling pad could help you, but generally laptops aren't made to keep their full performance for too long soo overheating is always a problem when you're trying heavy stuff like emulators.

cooling pads are myths, i had a gamelaptop and i had tried several coolingpads and none were effective, not even 1c was shaved off the temps my laptop gave.
(02-02-2013, 05:06 PM)miseru99 Wrote: You have a laptop yeah, soo well, when you "crank up res as much as you can" you basically overheat that flatchested case in which it's all packed, hence it limits itself for a while to let temperature downTongue.

I had no idea that it could turn out to be like that since some of the brands that we are probably familiar with seal the bottom part of the manufactured laptops (Apple for example has no ventilation at the bottom part of their laptop, which practically if what you just said abt cooling pads was true then from an engineer's perspective...that's not a good design is it?)

Anyway... nice to hear from you again Miseru Smile thanks for that time for helping me with your patcher... I think at that time I was trying to get a modified Gsdx work for Haunting Ground... don't really remember what was it all about but thanks for the help Smile
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
you can check if the laptop is overheating and throttling. just use core temp and gpu observer gadgets. if they work correct they'll show you the load and frequencies. it's probably the easiest to find out.

and yeah. coolpads are pointless. the cpu and gpu are usually fully covered by the exhaust system and that's the only thing that cools. so... how you wanna cool the processors with an external device that's blowing air at random spots on the case? it'd maybe work if you plug a extra fan to the air intake of the cooling system but it doesn't speed up the exhaust. Wink

another thing that could cause the slowdown are the graphics drivers not proper reallocating the screen vram after the device reset leaving a faulty render size, but that's nothing you can check or fix. i'd recommend you just create a balanced setup for everything or just set it up good before you play and not trying to change anything inbetween.
:3 The thing is that the case itself exchange alot of heat, if you cover the bottom with a good isolator like for example something which everyone has - paper, it'll overheat much faster than if you would put it on a metal plate, soo basically not only it doesn't have to be opened, but if it's sealed it actually can radiate more heat depending on the materials used(doesn't really have to be metal, we live in XXI century;p).
Saying external cooling for laptops is a myth is just ignorance, heat exchanges in more places than between cpu/gpu chip and it's own dedicated radiator, cooling system in laptops sucks not couse they're soo bad, but couse they depends soo much on everything around them, usually the case will take as much heat as it can before the built-in active cooling will start failing in doing it's job. Even a simple fan directed at the case would already make a difference. Not much, sure, but often that's all you need to stop it from throttling;p.

(02-02-2013, 05:37 PM)strider3871 Wrote: (...)
don't really remember what was it all about but thanks for the help Smile
Lol, me neitherTongue, anyway you're welcome, always lurking around here somewhere@_@.