New Computer... Now can I use PCSX2?
Last post you guys said i had one of the weakest PC's here, made me feel sad Sad So i updated my computer and now have the following:

VIDEO CARD~ EVGA 017-P3-1297-AR CO-OP Hydro Copper GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported ... - OEM

CPU~ AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

HDD~ HITACHI Deskstar 0F10311 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM~ G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ - Retail

MOTHERBOARD~ EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

POWER~ XCLIO GREATPOWER 1000W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

CD~ Blu Ray Reader BASIC

Sponsored links

You do realize that according to the specs you just provided, you own an AMD processor with an Intel based mainboard right? You do know that those two are completely incompatible? Or that the board does not support DDR2 ram. (and you lose triple-channel when you use 4 sticks.) While you are at it, If you are going to go with all that fancy hardware, why choose the Hitachi DEATHstar hard drives? I must say the GPU and PSU are pretty solid. I figured if you were going to spend that much money, you could have gotten a CPU that was compatible with the board. (*ahem* Intel Core i7 series *ahem*) I am not trying to start a flame war, or insult anyone, I am just curious as to why you would do or post this.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
No my computer buddy never finished teaching me everything. I never cared how much i spend since my step father has pleanty of it, i was just trying to get something that would be nice didnt know that they werent compatible
Well If you want my opinion on hardware, we can start by saying the GPU is more than enough. The processor needs to be changed if you want to use that mainboard. You can go for an Intel Core i7-920 (Which retails for about $290.) which has plenty of OC room. I don't recommend the Hitachi DEATHstar hdd because I haven't had any good luck with them. I bought 2 500GB drives from them and both failed less than a day after I bought them. (not to mention I had a mass data loss.) If you want a decent 2TB hdd, you can get this one: Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS. Or if you want a stronger one, you can go for the WD RE4 Series. They are amazing drives. Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS. The RE4 drives are more expensive, but they carry a 5yr (VS 3yr on the Seagate) and they are more faster/reliable.

As for ram, you HAVE to use DDR3 1600 ram. I would recommend Triple-Channel, but the 12GB triple channel kits are really expensive. ($900). I found a nice GSKILL 6GB triple channel kit on newegg for $150. It is: F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ . Your mainboard has 6 slots, so if you need more you can add it later. As for the PSU, yours would do the job. I will however recommend the Antec True Power Quattro series. the 1000W or even the 850W will do wonders. I love the modular cable design and they are very efficient backed with a 5 year warranty and protection. For a case, I would suggest an Antec 900 or 1200. They are roomy with plenty of fans for airflow. Be sure to pick up a good aftermarket cooler. (Might I recommend the Zalman 9700 and up series.) The stock coolers that come with the CPU's barely cool it on stock. Don't ever attempt an OC with a stock fan/heatsink. Be sure to pick some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste for the CPU as well. It's a bit expensive, but keeps the CPU 5-10c more cooler on average. Don't put too much paste on either. A pea-sized amount would do the job.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
Also try and get a normal vga card. The one you picked is an enthusiast model, that comes with a watercooling block instead of a normal cooler.
Not only is that card very expensive, it'd also not work for you (unless you opt for water cooling).
You can get this card: EVGA 017-P3-1296-AR . It's the same one as above, only without the water cooling block. It is cooled by air on it's own fan.
The trick when building a PC, is to pick your CPU first, after CAREFULLY reading specs, reviews and future potential (overclocking etc).

As an example I built my rig in the following way:

Expensive chip, and I could have saved some money by going for the 920, but it was a case of "well if I'm gonna spend this much, might as well". Picked the D0 stepping because its VERY overclockable!

Intel Core i7 950 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 3.06Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail

Next comes your motherboard, its defined by the CPU socket, so check the socket, in this case LGA1366, I picked D0 for overclocking so read a pile of reviews and this board shines at overclocking:

Asus Rampage II Extreme Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Next step is your RAM, I was planning on going to win7 64bit as I use alot of 64bit capable apps and need the memory for my work (photographer, so work with large RAW images). This bit is the no brainer, just make sure the DDR is supported on the motherboard.

Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-14400C9 (1866MHz) Tri-Channel (TR3X6G1866C9DF)

GPU, an important component, I could have gone all singing and all dancing with a GTX 295 kit, but with the nv3xx range out in the near future and SLi being a "not overly worth it" tech, I opted for the 285, its going to have good re-sell value when I go to the 3xx series, and it performs well.

You can get these cards with water cooling blocks, so decide early on if you're going to run the hassle of water cooling, I decided not to.

BFG GeForce GTX 285 OCFU 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Once the important stuff is decided, now its time to consider addons, HDDs are cheap these days, so don't bother skimping on space, I will eventually get a SSD for my primary OS drive, but for now WD Caviar's are good, and I've never had a WD fail on me.

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (WD1001FALS)

I could have gotten a perfectly good DVDrw Dual Layer Drive, but I own plenty of bluRay discs, so got this, pricey but performs well sofar, and great for large image backups!

Pioneer BDR-203BK 8x BluRay-RW/DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer Drive - OEM

This is the bit you need to be carefull on, whilst not going overboard. You maybe tempted to run for a 800w-1Kw PSU, there's really no need, 650w here does the job fine, larger would have given me more scope for addons and upgrades sure, but I really won't need to upgrade massively for awhile.

One thing to look for, in higher end PSU's you have modular leads, meaing you can pull and old PSU without having to re-wire your motherboard AND not have excess cables clogging space!

Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 650W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply

Almost there with the build, next thing is the case. Buy big, it helps airflow, it means you won't have a fiddly build and GPUs are big these days. When I got my old 8800GTX, I had to file away part of the case to slot it in, and SATA leads where pressed hard agains the side of the case.

This case is massive, with front access to HDDs, and the PSU is mouned at the bottom, which makes life ALOT easier.

Zalman GS1000 Aluminium Case - Black (No PSU)

If you're going to overclock read user reviews, and buy big. However make sure it fits. This particular heatsink is massive, with two 120mm fans on it. Obviously make sure its the right socket for your CPU. Even if you're not going to overclock, I'd generally avoid the stock fans, a cooler CPU will have a longer life and stock fans just don't cut it.

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366)

So there you have it, a wall of text, but when planning to build a PC, its not that hard, just use some common sense and build in a logical order.

When it comes to build day, I recommend a large flat clean surface, plenty of screw drivers, and a steady hand when mounting your CPU, because intel CPU's are horrible for mounting and if one pin goes, you've just wasted ALOT of money! Oh and don't apply to much thermal paste...

Will a machine like this run PCSX2, the answer is "oh hell yes, and at warp speed", will it break the bank, yes, still eating beans here, and will be for some time!
» Beta Tester for PCSX2 | Satourne | nullDC | Dolphin «
» Core i7 950 D0 @ 3.07GHz | GeForce GTX 480 | 6GB DDR3 Tri Channel «