New Gran Turismo 4 Config+Shader 2017
Has anyone dealt with periodic stutter happening regardless of what you're doing in the game? So basically, the game stutters for half a second every few seconds. I could be doing time trials, racing with AI or just simply browsing menus and the stutter will be there. So it's completely consistent, doesn't get better nor worse based on the on screen action.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Currently I'm running a config similar to the one covered in the first post albeit with few omissions ( default shader + no HW hacks ), stutters do not react to drastic changes in resolution, the experience is equally choppy at both regular and 3 times the original pixel count.

i5 4690k, R9 390, both the emu and the iso are located on my SSD

Sponsored links

My game looks like this but more blown out. Should it be this blown out? How can I reduce the exposure? The shadows disappear from cars and a lot of detail is lost otherwise.
Hi all, hope this thread is still being read occasionally.

I have tried the game with all of these settings and it crashes on the first B license test (or any race for that matter), I'm on the PAL version with european BIOS.

What is happening?

PC Specs are as follows:

Core i5 4690k 3.5GHz Quad Core

Asus GTX 960 4GB

MSI Z97s SL Krait Edition Mobo

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400MHz 8GB

Deepcool DQ550ST 80+ Gold PSU
(06-16-2017, 11:11 AM)KinkyRabbit97 Wrote: Hi all, hope this thread is still being read occasionally.

I have tried the game with all of these settings and it crashes on the first B license test (or any race for that matter), I'm on the PAL version with european BIOS.
What is happening?

piracy is unsupported
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Is there literally no way to get this to run on the PAL version at 1080i? I don't have a US version handy.
SWEET BABY JESUS IT WORKS.

Shader makes it very bright though. But I'm using pcsx2 1.4 Could be that.

Anyways the higher resolution makes it look AMAZING. Can't believe I completed 35% of the game already withouth this.
Not only that, but it fixed the missing lap time, sector time and "how far you're behind" time.

Here's hoping my notebook doesn't explode on the workload (i7 6700hq with 4GB nV960M. But it's still a notebook). Though the game does run smoother 

Thanks a bunch!
(02-17-2017, 04:55 AM)deadlyjoaquin Wrote: If you're not playing the game on progressive mode, you really are missing out on a lot of the detail and picture quality of the game.

Plus game runs way more smoothly on progressive mode and if you are using the shader config I provide you will certainly love it.

Ok, I've tried switching to progressive 480p multiple times with different settings. When it switches, it looks perfect - that is until I press ok to confirm the change. Immediately after that it goes to that same blurry stuff that is Normal - literally no difference. All settings (brightness, etc. are at 0), not sure what is wrong with it.
Has anyone witnessed such an issue?
(03-05-2018, 06:46 AM)raufbold Wrote: Ok, I've tried switching to progressive 480p multiple times with different settings. When it switches, it looks perfect - that is until I press ok to confirm the change. Immediately after that it goes to that same blurry stuff that is Normal - literally no difference. All settings (brightness, etc. are at 0), not sure what is wrong with it.
Has anyone witnessed such an issue?

This is old, but will continue to cause confusion (it caused me a bit), so...

The game switches to 480p (or 1080i) for the test in the Options menu, then back to 480i after you confirm. 480p/1080i are only used when the simulation is playing. You can confirm this by looking at the title bar when running windowed mode. I have some real PS2s and the resolution switch, not surprisingly, is more noticeable on real hardware as the analog signal changes from 480i to 480p or 1080i and causes graphical artifacts during. It's intended (but unfortunate) behavior. I'm not sure what the problem was at development time with just keeping the game in the specified resolution when in menus, but I'm sure there was a reason.

So, real hardware or emulator, it absolutely matters what resolution you specify in display options. Like others say, stick with 480p.

Edit: And to add something new: Outputting a matrixed stereo Pro Logic II signal is broken in PCSX2 (legend has it that it worked at one point 7+ years ago), but if anyone with an AVR is considering getting out their real PS2 to revisit GT4, GT4's implementation of it works but does little to improve situational awareness in a race due to poor mixing. During the flyover when you start a license test, the positional audio is obviously there (although it switches crudely from front to rear), but when actually racing I can't tell the difference between a car that is behind me and one that is in front of me. Some bass is sacrificed as in inherent in a mixed phase signal, and I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it for positional audio that is technically there but conveys no new information when it matters. Maybe it would be clear if I could mute my own engine, but that wouldn't be much fun. It's a shame since many games of the PS2's generation make excellent use of PLII in the many cases where bitstreaming a discrete 5.1 signal wasn't an option, particularly NGC and Wii games.

Real hardware is only superior in this case for reduced latency and improved convenience/stability.
I have followed this guide using PCSX2 1.6.0 and I am still seeing the glitch where lights appear through solid objects like walls and cars. I see the issue marked "Fixed" on the PCSX2 wiki, but I have been unable to get it to stop occurring. Even setting the Renderer to OpenGL (Hardware) and Blending Accuracy to High or more does not resolve the problem, per the recommendations on the wiki page. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The glitch is relatively minor, but the rest of the game looks so good it's pretty distracting. Thanks in advance.
Hello, I hope you do well. I am new in the ps2 emulation stuff, I'm currently playing Gran Turismo 4, the European-Australian version through iso file. I have configured the settings for better graphics, everything looks really fine, but I have a problem. I get random crashes while I'm racing, and my progression is lost when I am in a championship. I messed up the clamping mode form VUs settings, but didn't get any better results. The crashes began in the third entry of championship, and then more often. Mostly happens in the Japan GT Championship, where I started it 3 times cause of the crash. Today I started for the first time again, and in the 6th lap of the first race got a crash again. Any ideas on that?

I looked in the thread and I have to notice something: Clamping mode affects the licencing races. I had crashes cause of that in the loading screen.

My pc specs are:
i5-6400 3.2GHz
8gb ram
GTX 1050 2GB
1920x1080 resolution

The settings I got in the emulator are from this thread.
I don't face any problems with the resolution or how the game runs, everything is fine except the random crashes. 
Thanks in advance!