New - ISO compression - help testing
My gzipped one plays just fine. It's the DL one.
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU

Sponsored links

(07-10-2015, 12:02 AM)omnikam Wrote: I used gzip via pigz.exe, unfortunatly pigz deleted my original 8 gig iso
I used 7-z to uncompress the gzip image, but it fails,and if i use unpigz.exe the resulting image is smaller than the compressed image, and corrupt

Right. So this pretty much means the compressed file is damaged somehow, and so it's understandable that pcsx2 couldn't run it.

The real question is whether or not it's the fault of pigz. It's possible that the file got corrupted after it got compressed or that it got messed up during compression.

It's possible that it's pigz fault, but I'd think it's unlikely. What I think is possible though, is that compressing a file using all CPU cores puts a very high stress on both CPU and RAM.

Typically a system should not have issues with such load, but if your system is overclocked or otherwise not 100% stable, it might be an issue of corrupted RAM. It's probably enough to mess up few bytes with the entire file to make it damaged, so maybe that's what happened here.

I'd suggest to run prime95 or other stress tests and make sure your system is stable enough.

If, however, your system is not overclocked and is super stable in general, then it might be pigz fault (or just filesystem corruption - rare but happens), at which case I highly recommend to report it to pigz, since it sounds like a very serious issue if the compression may corrupt the data. But I doubt it's pigz fault.
(07-10-2015, 12:25 AM)karasuhebi Wrote: My gzipped one plays just fine. It's the DL one.
Ah good Biggrin
Avih - From memory i recovered my images from a damaged HD long long ago, so it was very possable that this file was damaged, if i remember right i lost lots of my Ps2 games. Ive had no futher problem`s of the 80 ish other games ive compressed
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
Then I would suggest you don't compress that iso and just enjoy as much of the game as you can Tongue2

Or of course make a new image
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(07-10-2015, 02:38 AM)omnikam Wrote: Ah good Biggrin
Avih - From memory i recovered my images from a damaged HD long long ago, so it was very possable that this file was damaged, if i remember right i lost lots of my Ps2 games. Ive had no futher problem`s of the 80 ish other games ive compressed

I would suggest checking the hashes on your ISOs. Compare them to the ones on redump.org.

Edit: I mean I guess it doesn't matter since you can't re-rip them anyway. :-\
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
(07-10-2015, 06:28 AM)karasuhebi Wrote: I would suggest checking the hashes on your ISOs. Compare them to the ones on redump.org.

Edit: I mean I guess it doesn't matter since you can't re-rip them anyway. :-\
Glare yes thats true for a lot i still own now only in iso format. I have ordered the 3 disc version, hopfully have it in a few weeks
UPDATE-
Dev`s there is something interesting ive noticed after compression my iso`s. For some reason it`s running certain games smoother, my most noticable example is DQ8, in this game during random speaches id get an occasianal micro stutters, not lasting long, usually just a word, but it would be there, but after running compressed file i get no stutters, ive played 30 minutes of gameplay with no stuttery moments, i guess its got to do with your seeking index thing. Whatever the case its a wonderfull side effect for me
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
(07-10-2015, 09:02 AM)omnikam Wrote: UPDATE-
Dev`s there is something interesting ive noticed after compression my iso`s. For some reason it`s running certain games smoother, my most noticable example is DQ8, in this game during random speaches id get an occasianal micro stutters, not lasting long, usually just a word, but it would be there, but after running compressed file i get no stutters, ive played 30 minutes of gameplay with no stuttery moments, i guess its got to do with your seeking index thing. Whatever the case its a wonderfull side effect for me

It can happen, and usually it means your HDD is slow and/or very fragmented. In general, with a compressed ISO you read less data from disk but then spend some time decompressing it in RAM. If the HDD is slow/fragmented, the effect of reading less data from the HDD could indeed speed some things up.

Also, the compressed ISO thingy has a bit of a prefetch mechanism which doesn't exist for normal ISOs. This means it tries to read ahead a bit in the file before PCSX2 tries to read the data, so on some cases it overcomes slow HDD access better than non compressed ISOs - regardless the fact that it does less HDD reads due to the compression.

In general, YMMV and if it has this nice side effect for you with this game - great. Though keep in mind that compression can also harm game performance if the game reads a lot from random positions at the ISO, such as with SoTC - but even on this extreme case compression behaves quite well, and I used it as one of the main test cases when I added the compressed ISO support.
(07-11-2015, 02:05 AM)avih Wrote: It can happen, and usually it means your HDD is slow and/or very fragmented.

Also, the compressed ISO thingy has a bit of a prefetch mechanism which doesn't exist for normal ISOs. This means it tries to read ahead a bit in the file before PCSX2 tries to read the data, so on some cases it overcomes slow HDD access better than non compressed ISOs - regardless the fact that it does less HDD reads due to the compression.
Great info Avih thanks, I might just defrag my drive too Biggrin
Msi GF-62VR
dont use the windows defrag, it sucks, i use defraggler personally, mydefrag is also pretty good
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(07-11-2015, 03:22 AM)refraction Wrote: dont use the windows defrag, it sucks, i use defraggler personally, mydefrag is also pretty good
Cheers for the tip, Installing it now
Msi GF-62VR