New - ISO compression - help testing
I'm staring to test my collection and I do have some bin/cue files. What about these lock up? Most bin files I have seen have only one track and the cue files are not needed. So far all I have tried play ok. Would it be best to re-rip as iso?

Sponsored links

If the rip already works for you, there's no need to re-rip. Just compress the ISO (or the .bin - you don't need the .cue) and choose the compressed file from the ISO selector.
Sure I understand that but what if the bin does not work. Will re-ripping as ISO fix that? I'm guessing the locking comes from a game that has two tracks bu I do not know that. I have yet to find one.

BTW: I did find a game that failed. It's not a game many people will care much about but it may help that cause here.
"The Guy Game" plays ok as an ISO but when gzipped if never loads and freezes the emulator. This is an 8 gig game in ISO and you only save 400 meg gzipping it.
if you want to CSO it you will have to attempt reripping it or mount it and rip from that. If imgburn doesn't let you save it as a bin/cue, then it can't be done and you'll need to use gzip compression on it.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I believe I was wrong about that game, its just that the 8 gig games take much longer to build the temp file.
Gzip is still a great tool and provides good compression without consuming a lot of computation power. Bzip2 is much slower and only provides slightly better compression. 7-zip consumes a bit more cycles than bzip2 but results in far smaller compressed files. Speed for decompression is even better for 7-zip than for bzip2.

Mercal
Does anyone know if there is such a tool that can give you approximate compression size before compressing the whole file.
An idea to avoid decompression cost https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1213

I think, it would allow to use lzma (xz/7z) without any speed impact.
Did anybody ever test zisofs?
It lost the race against squashfs over a decade ago, but given it's mainlined and built around normal iso support, it still got some improvements meanwhile.
We don't need a virtual filesystem. We just need to decompress a compressed ISO file. Interpretation of the filesystem already happens elsewhere - after the decompression, and regardless of which compression, if at all, was used to compress the ISO file.