New - ISO compression - help testing
(04-21-2014, 02:45 PM)axlffx2forever Wrote: Persona 3 FES from 4.486.624 to 3.149.699 is really good

Ok but did you tried linuzappz to compress it to bz
Some games have false lba or dummy files and when you compress such image,the size can be decreased by a lot.

For example Super Dragon Ball Z is 4gb image(because of false lba)but in reality it's A LOT smaller(less than 700 or 300mb...don't remember)

Sponsored links

(04-21-2014, 02:33 PM)vsub Wrote: Just curious(don't take it the wrong way).
What is the point of this if Linuzappz ISO already can compress the image and load it and it also automatically create the index.

Isn't it better to just use the code from Lunuzappz to support z\bz images without the plugin?
I just compressed an image with linuzappz and 7zip and the difference was 2mb less on the gzip archive

2 main differences:

1. The support was added to the built-in iso reader, so you can enjoy the menu CDVD -> Iso Selector -> (select any of the recently used ISOs). With the plugin you have to open the plugin configuration dialog and it's less convenient.

2. The plugin doesn't create a standard compressed file which can be opened (or created) with standard tools other than the plugin itself. I like standardization, so I personally feel more comfortable when I know that my files are compressed with a standard compression and can be manipulated with tools of my choice.

Also, it might be possible to add bz or bz2 indexing in exactly the same way that the gzip indexing works with this version (without re-compressing the file in a proprietary format like the plugin does). BTW, the current code should also support .z, but .z is usually not be as good as gz. If you have a .z file and rename it to .gz, then this version of pcsx2 _should_ index and load it the same as gz. But I didn't test it.

And finally, as I noted in my first post, while bz2 should generally compress better than gzip, in several ISOs which I tested, gzip was surprisingly close to the bz2 compression ratio (and also on your test it was only 2m more than 7z/linuzappz), and in one case gzip was even better. Not sure why, maybe I got lucky with the ISOs which I tested, or maybe for data "like in PS2 ISOs", gzip just works almost the same as bz2.

7z still beats the sh*t out of zip/gzip/bz/bz2 for the ISOs which I tested, but the 7z compression data structures and decompression algorithm are such that it makes it impractical to create an efficient index for quick access (the index would be so big that it would negate the good compression which 7z offers).
(04-21-2014, 03:35 PM)avih Wrote: With the plugin you have to open the plugin configuration dialog and it's less convenient.

If you don't set to plugin to load certain image,it will always display the File Open dialog(which I prefer)from which I can choose what to load
(04-21-2014, 03:50 PM)vsub Wrote: If you don't set to plugin to load certain image,it will always display the File Open dialog(which I prefer)from which I can choose what to load

Nothing stops you from still using the plugin Wink It's just another option to use compressed ISO files, which some might like.
Nice feature. Tested only 1 game but no problems so far.
Used 7zip with Ultra compression settings and size is even smaller than .bz (of course this can change depending on the game)

Game: Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5
Uncompressed: 1,79GB, NTFS: 1,68GB, Bz2: 1,62GB, Gz: 1,57GB+14MB index
Performance is good too. Tried to run the iso from an old USB HDD that causes a lot of stuttering with NTFS during loading screens and FMWs but it runs great with Gz.

Can't wait to see this in the "normal" versions of Pcsx2.
Added to git, and should be available in the next nightly build, hopefully soon.

Note: I changed the index file name and format a bit, so this means your old index files cannot be used with the git versions. It will create a new index with the new name (myISO.gz.pindex.tmp) and new format automatically, so you can delete the old indexes (unless you want to compare the pcsx2 versions, though they should behave the same).

If you build PCSX2 yourself, then I only updated the VS2013 project files, the VS2010 project still needs to be updated. Also, I updated the Linux build files but didn't test, so reports are welcome.
what nightly build?
pcsx2 is not compressing the file to gzip or? You still would need to do it using an external program?

I am curious how you made this. I always thought that creating an index is somehow not possible with compressed files. That they more or less save arbitrarily (as it seems to be with 7zip).
(04-27-2014, 10:39 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: what nightly build?

The automatic nightly/svn builds by Orphis - which still don't work for git, or the from the unofficial builds thread.

(04-27-2014, 10:48 PM)willkuer Wrote: pcsx2 is not compressing the file to gzip or? You still would need to do it using an external program?

The first post is your friend.
(04-27-2014, 10:59 PM)avih Wrote: The first post is your friend.

I was just clarifying because linuzapps is doing that on-the-fly or? Do you want to include that?