New Linux User-Questions
So I am not new to PCSX2, been using it on Windows for a long time now, and I'm not really new to linux either, just really rusty. I've played with several different ubuntu versions briefly over the years, and more recently tried mint (which I didn't care for, I personally don't like the LTS releases of ubuntu or any derivative based on an LTS release Tongue ). So I found Zorin OS 10, which is essentially Ubuntu 15.04 with a theme/gui to make it look like windows. On to my question: Should I stick with the included kernel (3.19.0-26) or upgrade to a higher one? I noticed several Mint users on the forum running 4.0. And as a side note I attempted to install 4.1/4.2, both caused horrible tearing and all the text on the desktop/windows was half missing before I got nvidia driver installed (if that matters). And before I broke the OS the first time (something to do again with either the drivers or lightdm that I messed up before reinstalling zorin) I had 4.0 in, which didnt tear, but I wasnt sure if that contributed to the destruction of my gui.

And now that I wrote a book in a post, I await a more experienced linux user! Biggrin
Desktop:
Ryzen 7 5800X | MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R | MSI X570 unify | 32GB DDR4@3600 MHz (14-14-14-34) | EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
1TB + 2TB WD Black SN770 | Windows 11 Pro x64

Sponsored links

The stock kernel is fine. It's best to stick with kernels available via offical channels to avoid breaking your system. I've used both kernels. Both work fine. The only exception is stay away from 3.13. Lots of sound hardware problems.

To add, try to stick with gpu drivers via official repos for same reason as the kernel s. Breaking your X server is not fun.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

I think I did break it the first time around, uninstalling/reinstalling the nvidia driver and lightdm didn't help, and unmodifying the config file didn't help either. Then I found a better source for a how-to that was much simpler/cleaner, and the GPU drivers work lovely. The official drivers with the distro are too outdated for me. I'll leave the kernel alone though I guess Tongue Honestly I think that's why windows still has the edge though, installing drivers/managing your system on linux is like brain surgery by comparison Biggrin
Desktop:
Ryzen 7 5800X | MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R | MSI X570 unify | 32GB DDR4@3600 MHz (14-14-14-34) | EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra
1TB + 2TB WD Black SN770 | Windows 11 Pro x64