New PC
Thumbs Up 
Hello, its been a wile sence I have been on these forums but anywho i got a new PC now guys and im wondering if this pc will be good for PS2 emulating.

Cpu: AMD Athlon X2 250 3.0Ghz
Ram: 3.12GB
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 220

id like to OC my processor but i have no idea how to.

Sponsored links

nope. it is not good. AMD CPU does not support SSE4 and your videocard is ultralow-budget
i wonder what PC did you have previously, it could be your old videocard is better than 220, and you just dont know it?
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
Well damn, oh well lol it works ok with games like WoW and Dirt
Wow was released 5 years ago and had LOW requirements even then.
anyway, gaming on pcsx2 have different "rules".

Why dont you just try a few PS2 games on pcsx2 and see for yourself?

oh, and read this topic: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2331-page-27.html
The GPU is a little on the low end, you will likely need to use "native resolution" in the graphics menu and have "8-bit textures" turned off if you're using the latest beta.

While not the fastest CPU on the market, it should be more than enough to handle most PS2 games with some speed hacks. Despite todom's claims, SSE4 is NOT necessary for good gameplay, and in face SSE4 plugin is only faster in a certain few situations over the SSE2. It's not a dramatic difference at all. The athlon II is basically the same as the Phenom II's except for lower cache, and PCSX2 doesn't make a lot of use of higher cache sizes so it should work fine.

If at all possible, you may wish to look into overclocking as even a 10% overclock (which is likely to be accomplished with no voltage increase and minimal increase to temperatures) would net you 3.3ghz which should handle the vast majority of games nicely.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Koji, so what exactly makes Intel cpu more preferable against AMD's?
i have one of the best amd's and good GPU, but still have problems, for example in MGS 3, and from what i read here in this forums, people with much more cheaper intel's get more speed in pcsx2
Much more? Unlikely. SSSE3 and SSE4.1 will give little to moderate boosts in certain situations but the instructions alone don't amount to any huge benefit.

Intel CPUs in general are just better at crunching the type of math that PCSX2 requires for emulation. The general consensus is about 5-20% better depending on the AMD processor (Phenom II's are much better than the Athlon x2's (not to be confused with the Athlon II's)) and depending on the game and situation in the game. For example, at the worst your PC shouldn't be being outdone by more than 2.7ghz C2D/C2Q. If it is, there is probably some other underlying issue... Either in configuration, or something is very much hogging resources.

That said, all of the phenom II's are really good overclockers... and if you aren't getting full speed with a lot of games you really should look into some after market cooling and overclocking yourself. As long as you read and follow guides carefully you risk very little and stand to gain a lot. For example, my Phenom II x3 is 2.8ghz model, but I have gotten it stable at 3.8ghz (though it's currently at 3.4ghz to save some electricity, and I generally run it maxxed at 3.7ghz since the temperature difference between 3.7 and 3.8 is about 5 degrees C). Even at 3.4ghz I don't many games that are limited by CPU, but more often GPU in my case.

That said, MGS3 is probably a bad game to benchmark against... It's still very buggy, and plays better with certain speed hacks turned on that often cause more problems themselves... Off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing a single person report completing the game (or at least completing it with a minimum of random crashes/falling off the end of the world)
"my Phenom II x3 is 2.8ghz model, but I have gotten it stable at 3.8ghz"

how much improvement did you get, in %?
I could run some tests to give you an exact answer... but I'd estimate in the ball park of 20-30% or maybe more. Enough that many games that weren't running full speed do so now without a single hitch.

The only game (in my library of games) that doesn't get full speed all the time is MGS3, which isn't too much of a problem for me since it crashes every time I see a crocodile anyways... And then I'm not sure it's my CPU that's the problem, or my graphics card. Could be a combination of both... dunno.
MGS was crushing with 0.9.6 on intro, but with the beta i've managed to play through the first mission without any crashes (but with slowdowns).

i am still little confused about what makes intel's CPU better? For example, i was planing to buy i7 920 instead of phenom II 940. Would it be better? Consider the frequency: i7 920 have only 2.6 Ghz, phenom II have 3 Ghz.